DVLA requirements for change to motor caravan

• Thread starter Deleted member 4404
  • Start date

Deleted member 4404

The requirement details, and picture examples of what does and does not comply, can be found in Resources HERE

SquirrellCook

Forum Member
Just been having a look at various government web sites and it's interesting how they contradict themselves.

For example my bus project. The body type is S/D BUS/COACH I don't intend to change the body shape though it will gain doors and loose windows the body shape and look will remain unchanged. (Ihope)

So in section D.5 on my registration document it will remain S/D BUS/COACH
Taxation class will change to Private HGV.

Interestingly you are not allowed to have a BUS on the road that is not used for hire or for reward. So it must be changed. You can't change it if it still looks the same. Many motor homes look like panel vans, horse boxes or other commercial vehicles?

V5C log book

It is a legal requirement that all UK registered vehicles are classified correctly on the V5C log book. All campervans, motor caravans and motorhomes fall into the DVLA category of ‘motor caravan’. If you have converted a van into a motor caravan then you must return the V5C to DVLA for body type amendment.

DVLA is required to record the details of vehicles for road safety and law enforcement. The body type information held on the vehicle record must describe what a vehicle actually looks like. This description, in addition to other distinguishing features, enables the police and other enforcement agencies to identify a particular vehicle. Therefore, the body type will not be changed unless the exterior of the vehicle actually appears to be a motor home.

So If a BUS gets a class 4 MOT and you have a certificate of insurance, be it motorhome, motorcycle carrier or hobby vehicle. You can then obtain a virtual TAX disc stating that it is a BUS. Regardless of not having had a PSV test or the other regular safety checks.

So if you comply with all below, the DVLA statement above overrides it. In fact all your vehicle needs is to "look like a motorhome" and can be empty inside.

Motor caravan minimum features

In order for a converted vehicle to qualify as a motor caravan it must have certain minimum features:

• a door that provides access to the living accommodation
  • a bed, which has a minimum length of 1800mm or 6 feet - this can be converted from seats used for other purposes during the day but must be permanently fixed within the body of the vehicle
  • a water storage tank or container on, or in, the vehicle
  • a seating and dining area, permanently attached to the vehicle - the table may be detachable but must have some permanent means of attachment to the vehicle. It is not good enough to have a loose table
  • a permanently fixed means of storage, a cupboard, locker or wardrobe
  • a permanently fixed cooking facility within the vehicle, powered by gas or electricity
  • at least one window on the side of the accommodation

If the vehicle has all of these features present, permanently fixed and installed properly, then it is a legal requirement to have it reclassified as a motor caravan on the V5C.

So the taxation Body Type section D.5 only describes the body appearance, not what it is. Oh what fun and games.
The only thing you'd have to do if change the taxation class to Private HGV from BUS. I expect this would be refused as you cannot have a Private BUS.

Mark

Millie Master

Forum Member
Just been having a look at various government web sites and it's interesting how they contradict themselves.

Mark

I totally agree with you Mark, just like so many official paperwork, the various Government departments don't appear to write with joined up writing!

If you are nearly at the point of applying for a change of the V5 with the DVLA, if I were you I wouldn't even mention the fact that yours started life as a bus, simply compile a thoroughly concise series of photographs which show the finished exterior and interior of the entire vehicle along with some kind of spread sheet which illustrates your conversion costs.

With any amount of luck and going from what I have seen over the past few years, you ought to recieve a duly updated V5.

Good luck

Phil

NickB

Looks like since the beginning of last month NO motor caravan reclassifications have been issued by DVLA

NickB

Maybe... on some of the other forums people who have spoken with the DVLA are reporting they have told to clamp down on individual and professional converters.
The bigger VW converters are having their base vehicles delivered pre registered as motor caravan apparently as they saw this coming.

wildebus

Forum Member
Maybe... on some of the other forums people who have spoken with the DVLA are reporting they have told to clamp down on individual and professional converters.
The bigger VW converters are having their base vehicles delivered pre registered as motor caravan apparently as they saw this coming.
Oh yes, there is no doubt that for reasons yet to be revealed/disclosed, it has become very hard to get a reclassification, but my response was to your emphatic "NO reclassifications" comment.

NickB

Ok.. got that... there is always an exception ... there are so many forums discussing this change I didn't spot this post.

Millie Master

Forum Member
Driving around the country as I do, I can well understand and appreciate the DVLA adopting a far harder line when it comes to the re-classification of the conversions presented to them.

I was only on Black Rock Sands last Friday and there were quite a few conversions to be seen, of which, I am afraid to say, the vast majority were totally lacking in any kind of pride of workmanship or professionalism......................

Phil

NickB

Agree completely without reservation.
The latest clamp down appears to encompass even those pride of joys we have slaved over.

Squiffy

Forum Member
This is a kettle of fish that has been rattling around for years, unfortunately I have to agree with Phil that if your van does not look like a true representation of what is commonly regarded as a "Motorhome" then it is not going to be classified as a motor caravan. It doesn't matter how much you spent on the interior in time and money if it looks like a commercial van when Finished then after all its a van or a van with windows, at this point in time and as the DVLA interpretation stands you can shout and scream and jump up and down but it will not change their attitude or stance. It's probably because the amount of self build increase that they have now had to really stamp down on the definition, because there are countless builders who are not adhering to the DVLA classification and actually thumbing their nose at the rule, hence getting uptight when being told the truth. I have never over all the self build web sites seen a picture of what is called a proper looking motorhome being refused the "Motor caravan" classification but I have seen plenty of photos of "vans with windows" and interiors that have been slung in over a couple of weeks, where folk are complaining that the DVLA are idiots and being unfair. If that upsets anyone then so be it, these are the facts of life, those that disagree will have to start a petition and try and change the rules but good luck with that. 😕 Phil

P.s. Not withstanding "Stealth vans" 🤔

NickB

Again I fully agree without reservation.
But it looks like the DVLA are recently turning down all conversions unless there are significant external changes, paint jobs and decals don't seem to wash it at the moment.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)