Connecting heater to diesel tank?

trevskoda

Forum Member
I think you can legally buy red diesel from a garage to use as heating oil. Far less expensive than kerosine. I have decided to make a fixture that clamps between the tow bar and ball coupling tocarry my suitcase heater and allow super quick removal to access rear doors. Geoff.
No 35 is more expensive than 28,you are thinking of parafin which is very expensive.

trevskoda

Forum Member
This is the location of my Heater Fuel Tank... Used to hold the spare wheel, and just drops down to let me refill the tanks

Fuel Station on Carrier
by David, on Flickr

Then raises up out the way

Fuel Station Raised
by David, on Flickr

I've actually got a pair of those 5L tanks with an interconnecting hose at the bottom between the two, so they automatically work as what is known as Communicating Vessels. That way only one needs to be connected to the fuel pump.
I would glass fibre over the wood or it will go soggy very soon.

Squiffy

Forum Member
The boat arrangement is something that was agreed by our HMRC, but the EU hate it and even with our leaving (if we ever do) the EU are still trying to stop it. There is absolutely NO reason that you cannot use a heater on RD, but that must be from its own separate fuel tank. Geoff.
When I worked at Cardiff Bay Yacht Club, we had many members who were unaware that if they bought Red diesel they must keep the receipt safe on the boat if sailing to France as the French customs were always pissed off when Brits turned up with red in their tanks and woe be tied any seamen who did not have proof on board as to where the red diesel came from and the amount of ltrs, what's more you were in a dangerous situation if you had spare fuel cans on board as some have been accused of smuggling it to sell in France. Phil

GEOFF

When I worked at Cardiff Bay Yacht Club, we had many members who were unaware that if they bought Red diesel they must keep the receipt safe on the boat if sailing to France as the French customs were always pissed off when Brits turned up with red in their tanks and woe be tied any seamen who did not have proof on board as to where the red diesel came from and the amount of ltrs, what's more you were in a dangerous situation if you had spare fuel cans on board as some have been accused of smuggling it to sell in France. Phil domestic

The HMRC came up with a formula that allows a fixed % of the boat on board fuel split between propulsion and domestic services, ie heating/lighting and general electric generation,especially if boating abroad, but as Squiffy said proper records should be kept The EU hate this and there have been several cases where UK boats have been apprehended in Europe (especially Belgium) and forced to pay a hefty fine. There have been several warnings about this on motor boating forums. For our vehicles provided that only the correct fuel is used for propulsion, I believe that any other fuel (not just red diesel, but kerosene, 28 & 35 sec. heating oil, wood or jelly babies!!!) could be used to provide heating etc. The only resonable way to ensure illegal fuels cannot be used for propulsion is to have a totally separate tank (or woodpile?sweetjar). Geoff.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)