Automatic?

MarkJ

Forum Member
I've been doing a preliminary trawl for base vehicles. We currently have a Ducato with the Comfortmatic box and while not the world's greatest auto (see numerous threads....) we do want to stick with auto.

But the only used auto vans I can find are Transits, which I'm not overly keen on.

Is it mission impossible looking for a used Sevel van with an auto box? I guess most of the auto ones are sold to the converters and not to the general van public?

MarkJ

Forum Member
Might be being dumb, but what does the word Sevel actually mean or stand for

??

Good point: I had to look up what it stood for....

Sevel S.p.A. (acronym of "Società Europea Veicoli Leggeri" - European Light Vehicle Company) is an Italian company which produces light commercial vehicles.

Set up by Puegeot, Citroen and Fiat to make vans. No-one has ever told me that, but that's what I've deduced from the context.

MarkJ

Forum Member
So I guess that used on this site it means any sort of MWB or LWB sub 3.5T ?
No, don’t think that’s right. Sevel means (I think) vans based on Ducato, Relay and Boxers, all of which can be over 3.5 though most probably won’t be.

And it excludes Renaults, Fords, Iveco etc any of which might be under or over 3.5.

Reactions: RAW

ScoTTyBEEE

Forum Member
1569687753274.png

hehe, yeah it's bit much sometimes.

MarkJ

Forum Member
I think I'm right in saying that you would go for the H3 if you want to stand up easily in the back? I can't find a table for Sevel vans with internal dimensions, but I found one for Fords and it goes (internal dimensions)

H1 - 4'6"
H2 - 5'8"
H3 - 6'1"

I must go and look at some...

Damn, just found the Peugeot dimensions on that link scottybeee gave, and they are bigger

H1 - 5'5"
H2 - 6'4"
H3 - 7'1"

Which explains why I can stand up in my Ducato-based jobbie

Millie Master

Forum Member
As for load space dimensions the H1, H2, H3 and L2, L3 & L4 I believe only give you basic interpretations or feel for the sizes of the load bays.

I know that when considering the H2 FWD Renault Master and the much rarer RWD Renault Master then the FWD version has far more headroom.

With regards to the L2, L3 & L4, from what I can recall from many years ago in my commercial days L2, L3 etc. referred to the numbers of Euro pallets that could be fitted in along the length of a van, but there again I might be wrong!

Phil

Millie Master

Forum Member
Good point: I had to look up what it stood for....

Sevel S.p.A. (acronym of "Società Europea Veicoli Leggeri" - European Light Vehicle Company) is an Italian company which produces light commercial vehicles.

Set up by Puegeot, Citroen and Fiat to make vans. No-one has ever told me that, but that's what I've deduced from the context.

I must say I had always got this wrong, I had thought it referred to a combined production unit in Italy where all the vans were produced which was located at the town of Sevel...................... how wrong could I have been and many thanks Mark for pointing me in the right direction!!

This link gives you far more information https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sevel

Phil

wildebus

Forum Member
I think I'm right in saying that you would go for the H3 if you want to stand up easily in the back? I can't find a table for Sevel vans with internal dimensions, but I found one for Fords and it goes (internal dimensions)

H1 - 4'6"
H2 - 5'8"
H3 - 6'1"

I must go and look at some...

Damn, just found the Peugeot dimensions on that link scottybeee gave, and they are bigger

H1 - 5'5"
H2 - 6'4"
H3 - 7'1"

Which explains why I can stand up in my Ducato-based jobbie
The H and L definitions vary tremendously between makes (as you have seen above :) ) A MWB (often referred to as L2) Sprinter is longer than a LWB/L3 Sevel Van.

Also, it is mostly relevant to the Fords, but I think applies to certain Sevels, Masters/Movanos/Nissans and latest Crafters (so just about every make I guess!) ... If you move from FWD to RWD or 4WD, the exterior height doesn't change, but the floorpan is raised up to accomodate the running gear. This means for example a RWD H3 Transit will have less headroom than a FWD H3 Transit.

RAW

Forum Member
Thanks - I am still deliberating self-build if I can save enough money but sadly where I live the parking is on a hill and my current van is parked on an angle of about 25 degrees making working on the Van pretty tricky. So doing a self-build would be nigh on impossible. Groan

wildebus

Forum Member
Thanks - I am still deliberating self-build if I can save enough money but sadly where I live the parking is on a hill and my current van is parked on an angle of about 25 degrees making working on the Van pretty tricky. So doing a self-build would be nigh on impossible. Groan
I delivered some stuff to that chap who you got the battery from .... he lives on a hill that must be a 1:3 in some places and was doing a VW Transporter build - I thought when I saw his road he had a job on his hand just for that reason alone!
(I guess it means you don't have to bother with tilting solar panels if the road slope faces south :p )

Reactions: RAW

RAW

Forum Member
I delivered some stuff to that chap who you got the battery from .... he lives on a hill that must be a 1:3 in some places and was doing a VW Transporter build - I thought when I saw his road he had a job on his hand just for that reason alone!
(I guess it means you don't have to bother with tilting solar panels if the road slope faces south :p )
Panel Fixed flat to roof and the slope is sort of East-South-East
The Back of the house faces south and parking adjacent so Van panel tilts a bit south but more east
Seems to be OK though for harvesting Solar

Duckato

Forum Member
I am currently doing a rewire (mass rip out first) of a customers L3 H4 Boxer
it is about 500mm shorter in the van bit than my LWB Crafter, but the head height is brilliant these have a big step up to the cab so I reckon that allows room for a raised floor to put services in and/or there might even be is space for a drop down bed that can be stored over the cab.

Duckato

Forum Member
Ps sorry this threads about Autos isn’t it well when I first signed up for this forum I was after a Ducato Auto hence the user name, I never found one within budget and ended up with a Auto crafter instead. I now also have an Auto sprinter as well. The Crafter is the sprint shift setup, very similar to the sevels comfortmatic I believe and the full control over engine braking down hills is really useful!

The sprinter is full auto and I can go down the box manually but it’s not quite as good at slowing it down mind you the sprinter is well over 4200kg!

I have not had a manual anything since I sold my supercharged mg a few years ago.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)