What about this as a base vehicle ?

RAW

Forum Member
Bit Unusual ? Thoughts ?
https://bid.mod-sales.com/auctions/7564/witham10107/lot-details/3fb10227-ecd2-4349-b9a3-ac2b00f68905
Landy_ambo.jpg

Millie Master

Forum Member
There have been thousands of these beautiful Land Rovers converted into campers and this one is in superb condition with the best engine to be ever fitted to the Defender.

It would be a very easy mod to make a walk through from the cab as there are kits available to fit a lower bulkhead cross member.

The shape being so very square should lend itself to being a very easy conversion along with masses of fresh air underneath for mounting underslung gas cylinders and water tanks.

And I honestly don't think that the current bid is too much money for such an iconic vehicle, but I bet it will go up quite a bit yet!

I love them.
Phil

Last edited:

mistericeman

Forum Member
I very nearly went with the earlier series version (already have 5 series landrovers)

However after sitting in one for a very brief period I came to the conclusion that it would have driven me spare....

Cramped and frankly bordering on claustrophobic...

The defender platform is OK engine wise (200/300 tdi or occasional V8)

However chassis/bulkheads rust... And likely its been 'tested' by army drivers....

And the final nail was there really aren't that many places to pitch that you will require 4x4 to get to.

Millie Master

Forum Member
However chassis/bulkheads rust... And likely its been 'tested' by army drivers....

And the final nail was there really aren't that many places to pitch that you will require 4x4 to get to.

The recent ones at Witham have all had their bulkheads and chassis injected from new with wax and as for the fuel economy, I believe that driven considerately this vehicle would return the mid to high 20's as my 1995 300 Tdi 90 with the mods I had made, always returned between 30 & 35mpg.

As for the need for 4x4, hells teeth this is a character vehicle and for me the fun of owning one would be the main reason for owning one.

Phil

Last edited:

mistericeman

Forum Member
The recent ones at Witham have all had their bulkheads and chassis injected from new with wax and as for the fuel economy, I believe that driven considerately this vehicle would return the mid to high 20's as my 1995 300 Tdi 90 with the mods I had made, always returned between 30 & 35mpg.

As for the need for 4x4, hells teeth this is a character vehicle and for me the fun of owning one would be the main reason for owning one.

Phil

I think I've had my fill of 'character' vehicles....
I've got 5 landrovers....

And IF you think a bit of wax is going to stop a landrover rusting....
I think you may be dissapointed

The shine has long gone ;-)

Tookey

Forum Member
A great advantage is if your conversion is good you can use it for a few seasons and when selling (if you choose) its very likely you will get your initial base vehicle cost back unlike with a panel van, possibly even cover a small percentage of your conversion costs. Even if not to your personal interest with the build if your bear in mind 'overlanding' if you choose to sell you open up a whole new potential market. Not a good vehicle for overlanding (only my opinion) but there are a lot of Brits that would only consider a Landy partly due to them looking the business :love:

It's only a thought as personally I would build to your own need and desires but just chucking the idea out there.

Last edited:

Red Dwarf

Forum Member
A great vehicle and great value in reality. As noted above, all the right mechanical bits. You have to wonder how much it cost when it was built....

Tookey

Forum Member
RAW,

Just re read the thread and had a ponder........I suggest if you are not a true (translate to dedicated) fan of LR steer clear. There is undoubtedly something wonderful about LR but I suggest you leave it to the enthusiasts, bless em, they make all the rest of us happy, nothing else on the road makes me smile like a mint Series LR or a gnarly Defender

Millie Master

Forum Member
My Series 3 dripped or leaked oil like a sieve until I stripped and totally rebuilt the engine and gearboxes and from then on, not a drop, then I sold it and apparently 22 years of cossetted life later I am assured it is still oil tight.
My 1995 300TDi Defender 90 also dripped like a good un, until I also took the engine and gearboxes out and totally stripped them down, even though they had only done 30k miles, from then for my next 6 years of ownership 'Blue Louis' was as good as gold and didn't leak a drop.

From my experience and the shared experience of many LR owning friends, if you put them together correctly using high quality gaskets and sealants then in most cases they will remain oil tight.

Phil

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)