Wet wood frame

Silver sprinter

Forum Member
Holasuki on motorhomer has a water leek, I have messaged the girl, but I can't remember if it was on this site, that I seen it, the roof wooden frame is a bit wet and spungy at places, did someone recommend a product to strenthing it up, not sure if it was Rae, knowing me il be wrong:ROFLMAO: I get taking it out and replacing it but if possible, anybody know or used the product, gerry

Monkeybrand

Forum Member
I have used Ronseal wet rot wood hardener on my (house) roof where the soffit fits and it made a good job. 3 years ago and still good. After the hardener i used the filler where chunks were missing but if the wood is all there you wont need it.

Millie Master

Forum Member
Having once owned a flimsy Sprite caravan that suffered from the dreaded wood rot syndrome, from my experience you can either bodge the job or rip an ever extending amount of the interior out and then replace all the rotten wood.
From my hard earned experience wood hardeners simply do not work as you don't want hard wood, you need structurally sound, strong wood and not brittle hard wood.

Both of my caravans that had the dreaded wood rot had awning rails where the cheap skate Swift Group had used cheap very poorly galvanised coated screws that had rusted away, leaving a nice 3mm hole in the aluminium panels for water to gain access, this then in the virtually sealed steamy interior had spread like wild fire through the exceptionally cheap wood that they used to use.

Because of these problems I gained quite a lot of experience taking out the interiors and totally rebuilding them!

Phil

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)