Violating a Princess!

PeteS

Forum Member
This youtube video will go a long way in showing you what to do, a lot you will already have done to get the venus os running on the pi to at least connect to the VRM.
You have to change a config file and the video shows you how to that and also get the touch screen to work.
I'm unsighted on your knowledge of pi but there is an easier way to do it on github and i'llmpost that link too.

(6) Install Victron Venus OS 2.60 on Raspberry Pi with Update Script - YouTube
you will already have a version of Venus OS so you can ignore the first part.

raspberrypi install venus image · victronenergy/venus Wiki · GitHub
This is the script the Youtube is following.

kwindrem/SetupHelper: Helper functions to simplify writing setup scripts that modify VenusOs functionality. The package includes automatic reinstallation of the package after a VenusOs update.
If you know how to SSH into the Pi (you find out how to in the youtube video) then as soon as you have succesfully SSH'd into the pi you can run setuphelper to set up the display and touchscreen but YOU HAVE TO BE RUNNING VERSION 2.70 AT LEAST FOR THIS TO WORK otherwise just follow the youtube video
I think Ive misinterpreted what you are trying to achieve! you have a Cerbo not a pi pretending to be a cerbo so just ignore what I said.
Plugging a monitor into the pi should work

SquirrellCook

Forum Member
Yes David, I had considered plugging the cerbo into a desktop monitor. The thought of tidying my desk makes the idea prohibitive :( Hence I purchased another display.

SquirrellCook

Forum Member
This youtube video will go a long way in showing you what to do, a lot you will already have done to get the venus os running on the pi to at least connect to the VRM.
You have to change a config file and the video shows you how to that and also get the touch screen to work.
I'm unsighted on your knowledge of pi but there is an easier way to do it on github and i'llmpost that link too.

(6) Install Victron Venus OS 2.60 on Raspberry Pi with Update Script - YouTube
you will already have a version of Venus OS so you can ignore the first part.

raspberrypi install venus image · victronenergy/venus Wiki · GitHub
This is the script the Youtube is following.

kwindrem/SetupHelper: Helper functions to simplify writing setup scripts that modify VenusOs functionality. The package includes automatic reinstallation of the package after a VenusOs update.
If you know how to SSH into the Pi (you find out how to in the youtube video) then as soon as you have succesfully SSH'd into the pi you can run setuphelper to set up the display and touchscreen but YOU HAVE TO BE RUNNING VERSION 2.70 AT LEAST FOR THIS TO WORK otherwise just follow the youtube video
Initiating a monitor with the Pi is as much as I ever managed. That's a whole another project I need to learn about before I run out of years.

SquirrellCook

Forum Member
Just when you thought the demolition had ended, I made more holes in it. Or rather cut the existing ones bigger to find good steel. I knew this area was dubious by the pop rivet and mastic repair in the floor.
Everything had to be ripped out of this corner to improve insulation and hunt for leaks.
I still have the underside to repair, but at least this is a good start.

now you see it
75D7F2EB-7911-41F5-9549-E1B08E902966.jpeg

now you don’t

5EC49D02-DD26-434B-AD84-F94A3797E77C.jpeg

SquirrellCook

Forum Member
good work. How close you think you are to the finish straight?
I’m hoping to have it MOT’able by the end of the year. The fabric has been made, just need to find £1k to pay for it. Anita has been cleaning the brake callipers, so I should be able to rebuild them soon. Then throw all the bits back in and put it on its whee again.
My big worry is that I’ll close some cavities up, then have to try and run another wire.

wildebus

Forum Member
throw in an extra 2.5mm AC cable and a 16mm DC cable front to back just in case :D (I guess you always have an under-chassis route as well :)

SquirrellCook

Forum Member
Betty has some consumer power again, just as well in today’s heat. I’m so glad this was built externally, just finding the correct wires in the umbilical leading to it was horrible. Just what you want with electrics is to wash it in sweat.
But what is going on? Engine start batteries being used as a supply and they are discharging! The penny drops, I’ve been fiddling, maximum charge current set at 3 amps. Easy fix, later in the day. More insulation required as it was so hot with all the fans running. Discovered that the roof hatches and fans mask the solar panels. So I expect the extra portable panels will be required in the summer too.

7EB538F1-F77E-4F3E-8D18-ED3489C98623.jpeg

SquirrellCook

Forum Member
This weekend’s violations, sorry I was so upset dealing with yet more rot I forgot about photographing it. I knew there would be issues around the emergency exit, so I guess I ignored it for as long as possible. Cut out and repaired in a day, so not to bad. A new step trim still needs to be fabricated in aluminium. The rubber seal is not in the best condition so I might have to hunt some of that down. As the door had been opened, it was a good opportunity to ask Anita to strip the remaining fabric and trim. An aluminium door was reviled, what a shame the body was not made that way. After lunch I got carried away with a knife and cut the window out. The window was heavier than expected, As it finally tried to leap out a corner was still hanging on and cracked. Better than the previous attempt. As it was aluminium framed it was quick to clean and prime, ready for the new aluminium panel to replace the glass.

So that was the excitement, the rest was titivating with little jobs as I found them. Apart from fitting some security cameras. This will be handy for viewing my “death angles”. Bloody French ;)
0018A8D1-1BF3-40A1-A9F2-2869BBDE48EE.jpeg
2AD6E3E5-19EB-488B-946A-207EC3E51CA1.jpeg

SquirrellCook

Forum Member
Another big leap, all the welding now done behind the front RH wheel. I still find it hard to believe that if you cut away the rot and structure, it will pass a PSV test! So much easier with the axel removed.

Back to titivating, Anita moulded some GRP cups to bond over the backs of the front marker lights. This should stop some water ingress.

Bad news, the amazon touch screen display gave up working. So sent back.

BDD326AF-B0F4-4FD7-BF2F-1CB87F8FCD64.jpeg
9D4A5C5F-AEFD-4AC5-A3BC-E7C06B854521.jpeg

SquirrellCook

Forum Member
Most of the posts on this build have been doom and gloom, but that’s life. It can only get better (maybe).

So something a little bit more cheery. What do you think the little tassels are for?

D8586653-DD7A-4A3F-B3C0-0C9F985572F5.jpeg

SquirrellCook

Forum Member
After more insulation I trimmed some more panels and tried to shoehorn them in. It’s a right swine trying to find the screw holes. I think everything was fitted poorly originally as nothing fitted as I would have liked. It’s not the smartest work and I’ve never claimed to be a coach trimmer. At least it’s better than it was.

072E3490-9B26-41C7-9ED6-D26A1E1E8885.jpeg

SquirrellCook

Forum Member
I see what you mean :) I’m still trying to convince myself it will look ok when it’s done. Arty stuff has never been one of my talents.

SquirrellCook

Forum Member
Something for everyone to enjoy, only a days work on Betty this week.
I managed to buy a trim panel that covers the steering column and top of the pedals. Unfortunately it was for an early model and didn’t fit over electronic throttle pedal. So look up the part number and see if anyone has one. Low and behold eBay Greece. Just hope it’s not left hand drive.

As I didn’t fancy it I volunteered Anita to insulate behind and under the pedals. I decided to tackle the engine cover. It had a horrible quilted bag over it. Under this the features in the cover had been panelled over. I was worried that these would show.
The fabric was made by Camira fabrics as we wanted some cheerful highlights. Not cheap, but this build is a money pit.
Fear kicks in when you start thinking about the cost of making a mess of it. I thought the safest way would be to cut the fabric too big. Cut too small and you waste the lot. Once I was happy with the start position. I spray glued the middle of both parts. This allowed me to pull on the fabric to work out the trim cuts.
It’s not as neat as I would like, but better than I expected. I’ll blame the scissors.
Whilst at it, I silver foamed the inside to help cut down on noise.

F4F55136-1FEE-4D89-8351-99595AB85D79.jpeg

SquirrellCook

Forum Member
Not a huge amount of progress and only one day available again this weekend. That said it’s finally back on it’s wheels again. I still have to get the wheels aligned enough to drive it to an MOT, but it’s good enough to move it around for now. A bit more wiring put in place for the radio, and some more insulation. The front mat is horrible, but still good enough to keep the noise down. Anita did put down some silver foam insulation first. The extra thickness did make it a bit of a fight to get some of the panels in, but it’s coming along.
The drivers mat will be hidden with a tailored carpet. I’m hoping Monday I will have an email saying they can supply new foams for the Kab 714b drivers seat.
The big surprise is how well Morris Traffic Film Remover brightens up the old panelling.

13F6FB17-BD5F-4C99-8144-EF4457D3B1B7.jpeg
94204CA8-E743-4B78-8164-AD11245AAE5A.jpeg
F109593F-00F5-4981-A431-60DFFAC05715.jpeg

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)