Stiff Windows (yawn)

Chris Evans001

Forum Member
Possibly not the most exciting of threads, but here goes.

Installed some nice shiny new windows in the van. They are the opening type whereby a section of the glass slides back into a channel top and bottom with a felty type strip in it presumably to stop rattles/drafts etc. The felty type material looks just the same stuff you get in your standard wind down Windows in the front cab.
Think coaches/some commercials have similar Windows.

The problem I have is that you need to have muscles like Schwarzenegger to open and close the bloomin things. In fact, the offside window actually pushes the felty strip out of position in the track when fully open because it's so tight and you have to poke it back in.

I'm thinking of some sort of lubricating spray to fix the issue? What do you think?
I don't want it so loose that it doesn't stay in a fixed position... Or collect dirt.

I remember using a spray years ago on my caravan to lubricate the awning channel. Silicon based?

Anyone else come across this?

Ta

wildebus

Forum Member
I've got a couple of windows that slide like that and I found the kitchen one very hard to slide.
I tried a squirt of "Graphite Spray" that I had bought from the Centre Aisle at LIDL ages ago and it certainly seemed to improve matters. In theory, I think it should be the right kind of stuff. I'll check the window tomorrow and see what it is now like, a few days after application.

SquirrellCook

Forum Member
Leaving the window open with the felt in place for a few days should help form the felt. I'm guessing you tried the windows before fitting them? If they were ok before I expect you've bent the window :(

Chris Evans001

Forum Member
Leaving the window open with the felt in place for a few days should help form the felt. I'm guessing you tried the windows before fitting them? If they were ok before I expect you've bent the window :(
Nope, schoolboy error possibly. Did not check the opening of the windows before I fitted them.

Would be surprised if I've managed to bend them during fitting. They are big boys and the track is bonded to the glass.
Unless the bonding adhesive has pulled the glass out of shape.

Will give some lubricant a try.

20200922_162952.jpg

20200922_163105.jpg

20200922_163101.jpg

Chris Evans001

Forum Member
I've got a couple of windows that slide like that and I found the kitchen one very hard to slide.
I tried a squirt of "Graphite Spray" that I had bought from the Centre Aisle at LIDL ages ago and it certainly seemed to improve matters. In theory, I think it should be the right kind of stuff. I'll check the window tomorrow and see what it is now like, a few days after application.
How are your windows opening now?

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)