Split charger clicking

jonnyboy

Forum Member
Is it usual for the split charger to click on and off quite quickly? or could this be because of a low battery?

wildebus

Forum Member
The answers would be no, and no.

A VSR (I think that is the device you have?) will turn on when it hiits one voltage (maybe 13.8V), and go off when the voltage drops down to another voltage (around 12.8V).
If the voltage is below that, it just stays off.

wildebus

Forum Member
Thanks for your reply, I think I might buy another one to check. I have a Durite vsr.
If you have a meter, you can check the voltages and see if they are above the threshold of 13.8V (think it is 13.8V for the durite) and that will tell you if it should be on or off.
they are bi-directional, so either side above that voltage will enable it.
clicking on and off, if it were to do with connections, I would suspect the -ve/earth wire. that must be connected for relay to operate so if the voltages are high but the relay is clicking, it could be an -ve fault (poor connection, break in wire, etc).
the Durite relays are ok, but they do go wrong like any thing can. They are no different to just about any other VSR so I would just get whatever cheap one is around TBH. The HC Cargo (made by Bosch) ones are usually good value within ones with a recognised brand. (https://amzn.to/3cSPpWA)

Oh, I always forget these VSRs have a little LED that comes in when active - is this coming on with the clicking? (I never fit these where I can see them so always forget)

jonnyboy

Forum Member
If you have a meter, you can check the voltages and see if they are above the threshold of 13.8V (think it is 13.8V for the durite) and that will tell you if it should be on or off.
they are bi-directional, so either side above that voltage will enable it.
clicking on and off, if it were to do with connections, I would suspect the -ve/earth wire. that must be connected for relay to operate so if the voltages are high but the relay is clicking, it could be an -ve fault (poor connection, break in wire, etc).
the Durite relays are ok, but they do go wrong like any thing can. They are no different to just about any other VSR so I would just get whatever cheap one is around TBH. The HC Cargo (made by Bosch) ones are usually good value within ones with a recognised brand. (https://amzn.to/3cSPpWA)

Oh, I always forget these VSRs have a little LED that comes in when active - is this coming on with the clicking? (I never fit these where I can see them so always forget)
Thank you for your reply, i will check as you suggested.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)