Seating and Sleeping setup (MH2) - complete - Regal Upholstery

activecampers

Forum Member
When I see the cab area separated off in the way you have in your layout, I wonder if - and especially so in a shorter van like you have - you are missing out on some useful extra living space?

Logic says you are right.
Facts say you are wrong :)
(Individual personal usage sways one way or the other)

My dad agreed with you and thought we were mad. Then he saw it and said ahhhh - I see now - you are right. And not because he is my dad lol - he is critical when he needs to be.

Totally get your first sentence, lol, that's why its posted - its interesting and ideas to copy or reject. I care not which. But you asked a question I'll try to explain - but don't take it as me trying to prove its right - and the world is wrong - I'll just answer your question with our viewpoint.

For instance, if you give me a non fixed bed front lounge layout using the cab seats, you can then edit and move the exact items around and end up with a free "garage" for bikes if you don't use the cab. If you use the cab, you have to have space behind the seats and in the middle, which loses storage compared to ours.

To be honest, I spent hours with 10's of plan layouts from the web, moving the size of their items (kitchen/seating/shower/wadrobe etc) and moving it to block the cab, and there was always a free garage space! I thought I was going mad as wondering why no one else does it. In effect, we "free up" 30% of the floor walkway which then can become the garage area.. We thought the walkway would be tight and but in the real world it feels surprisingly spacious. Of course, if we ate more pies than we do, it may be too tight, but us - fine.

If you like captains chairs, then fine. In our experience, SMALL vans with captains chairs have a compromised lounge as they are designed to work with the cab seats. Our first van was this way, and not using the cab eg wild/discreet camping, or curtained off due to weather, then the sofa/rear wasn't overly comfortable by itself. Ours is designed to be comfortable without the cab. The cab can be left open for visibiility, or curtained off for thermal/privacy reasons. Yes, we don't have 6 seats, or rear driving/passenger seats but we don't want/need passengers and we would only host 2 others max anyway, and there is enough bum space for that. Why have 6 un-used seating positions all the time?

Again, if you like captains chairs, or only use campsites, then our views of what is important don't apply and is totally irrelevant.

We like sitting next to each other on the sofa, or in a corner, and not overly wanting to have personal seats.

Also floor difference height between cab and rear makes it a pita and something else has to be compromised.

When you see the van in the flesh, it feels hugely more spacious than it deserves to be - and the sofa is just perfectly sized and comfortable.

Again, the key factor, this is a MWB with a garage. In a LWB, or rear lounge layout a lot of what I say does not apply.

There are issues with my layout which we're happy to compromise over. Like having to jump over from the cab. no big deal whatsoever for us The second, is if its p*ing down with rain, we need to open door fully to get in (or use cab and jump over). But that's it - for us the benefits outweigh these issues.

(of course, untested as yet, but so far it feels bang on)

SquirrellCook

Forum Member
Logic says you are right.
Facts say you are wrong :)
(Individual personal usage sways one way or the other)

My dad agreed with you and thought we were mad. Then he saw it and said ahhhh - I see now - you are right. And not because he is my dad lol - he is critical when he needs to be.

Totally get your first sentence, lol, that's why its posted - its interesting and ideas to copy or reject. I care not which. But you asked a question I'll try to explain - but don't take it as me trying to prove its right - and the world is wrong - I'll just answer your question with our viewpoint.

For instance, if you give me a non fixed bed front lounge layout using the cab seats, you can then edit and move the exact items around and end up with a free "garage" for bikes if you don't use the cab. If you use the cab, you have to have space behind the seats and in the middle, which loses storage compared to ours.

To be honest, I spent hours with 10's of plan layouts from the web, moving the size of their items (kitchen/seating/shower/wadrobe etc) and moving it to block the cab, and there was always a free garage space! I thought I was going mad as wondering why no one else does it. In effect, we "free up" 30% of the floor walkway which then can become the garage area.. We thought the walkway would be tight and but in the real world it feels surprisingly spacious. Of course, if we ate more pies than we do, it may be too tight, but us - fine.

If you like captains chairs, then fine. In our experience, SMALL vans with captains chairs have a compromised lounge as they are designed to work with the cab seats. Our first van was this way, and not using the cab eg wild/discreet camping, or curtained off due to weather, then the sofa/rear wasn't overly comfortable by itself. Ours is designed to be comfortable without the cab. The cab can be left open for visibiility, or curtained off for thermal/privacy reasons. Yes, we don't have 6 seats, or rear driving/passenger seats but we don't want/need passengers and we would only host 2 others max anyway, and there is enough bum space for that. Why have 6 un-used seating positions all the time?

Again, if you like captains chairs, or only use campsites, then our views of what is important don't apply and is totally irrelevant.

We like sitting next to each other on the sofa, or in a corner, and not overly wanting to have personal seats.

Also floor difference height between cab and rear makes it a pita and something else has to be compromised.

When you see the van in the flesh, it feels hugely more spacious than it deserves to be - and the sofa is just perfectly sized and comfortable.

Again, the key factor, this is a MWB with a garage. In a LWB, or rear lounge layout a lot of what I say does not apply.

There are issues with my layout which we're happy to compromise over. Like having to jump over from the cab. no big deal whatsoever for us The second, is if its p*ing down with rain, we need to open door fully to get in (or use cab and jump over). But that's it - for us the benefits outweigh these issues.

(of course, untested as yet, but so far it feels bang on)
Sorry, but you are really coming across as if you have or had a career in sales ;)

activecampers

Forum Member
Sorry, but you are really coming across as if you have or had a career in sales ;)
lol. Not at all - not my line. (Was Head of IT till I gave up full time work at 36 for a better play/life balance - (12 years ago!!!). now just do a bit of freelance IT work for customers I like)
@NEC shows was paid to talk campervans. Not sell (fortunately)

wildebus

Forum Member
Cheers :) (though I am not sure of the use of the word 'Facts' in your second line of reply (not a relative of Kellyanne Conway are you?))

Interesting comment about the "small vans with captains chairs" ....
My first conversion was a VW T4. I fitted a single bench seat along one wall and swivel plates to the two front captains chairs. I actually took the swivel plates off again and sold them on as I found I just did not swivel the seats.
(what I DID do though, is slide the cab seats all the way forward (on the T4 you caan slide the seats forward until they virtually hit the dash) and that gave the feeling of a lot of extra space).
The next van was a T5 and again I did not swivel the seats on that either (I did have a swivel on the passenger seat but never really used it). and just used the twin rear benches at the back.
I do like the idea of having the rear isolated from the front in terms of being able to have dedicated sections and just being able to move into the living area without having to "muck around" with the cab ref curtains etc (and when I was thinking about doing a Luton Conversion recently, I think it is quite likely I would have done that, with a front cab and a "Habitation Box" behind).
But I just can't shake the idea that in such a small space as a van, you are cutting off maybe 25% extra space by doing so, especially in a smaller van.

The next conversion I did was a VW LT LWB (so going bigger all the time :) ) and on THAT van I fitted Ford Galaxy Seats with integrated swivels. On THAT van the swivels were the main seating - and I found the swivels really good with a pedestal table in placed by the two cab seats when wanted. (at the back was the raised fixed bed with full length garage underneath)
The current Motorhome has Swivel Seats and I expect to use them a bit in rotated mode (maybe if having vistors, maybe just for a change - Like you, usually only two people in the van (and in fact all my campers & the Motorhome have had only 2 travel seats)),
However, being a coachbuilt rather than a PVC, the door is in (IMO) a much more useful position towards the rear - so come in and head left for the sofa benches (and cab), or right to the kitchen and bathroom. I am finding that door position so much better than the slider right behind the cab.

activecampers

Forum Member
The word fact applies as it can be proven, if (note: *IF*) you don't overly want to use the cab seats, you can enlarge USABLE SPACE in the rear and make it less compromised. As I sad above, take a layout of any van (to scale) with a front lounge, non fixed bed. Edit and rearrange elements, and you will end up converting the floorspace that was behind the cab seats into usable space elsewhere. That's where the word fact comes in. Happy or the end results not to be liked, that's personal choice and personal choice is not part of the definition of the word "fact".

(aka I'm doing it - show me any other van with 1.8x1.2m permanent L sofa; >1x0.7 bathroom, kitchen with >1m2 worktop; wardrobes; cupboards; AND space for 2 bikes (full size mountain bikes) and 2 snowboards (and gear, not in habitation area) in a MWB van? That's our priorities. AFAIK its not possible with cab seats being used.

As I've made clear 1001 times, everyones usage is different. If I was a campsite dweller, or we were older and different life style, then views change. I'm not here looking for compliments or acceptance, or even to debate. I'm not sure everyone that understands others may know what they want and, hell no, it may be different to them!

I was posting just to add content as people have been moaning in another thread that the site is quiet. To be honest, I can see why many don't bother posting lol. I love constructive comments, its how I learn and improve. TBH - I'm not overly interested in knowing how others user their vans of why our layout won't work for them. It matters not to me!

Anyway, this thread was to showcase Regal, show a different way of making a bed frame (not seen anyone use the method I devised - hope it gives others ideas rather than usual pull out affairs) and to show new ideas to those with open eyes :)

If anyone really gives a shit rather than just wanting to just tell me its not for them, watch the CAD video on my channel which has a walkaround of the layout and explains more. Updates will be on there, so subscribe there if interested ,and you'll see the it coming together. If its not for you or have nothing constructive to add - don't bother :)

I'll post update when complete. Probably.

wildebus

Forum Member
I think the replies are part of what is known as "conversation".

I have to say the comment " I'm not overly interested in knowing how others user their vans or why our layout won't work for them. It matters not to me!" is rather off-putting. So you have no interest in knowing how others use their vans but you expect them to have enough interest in how you use yours to read and make comments on your posts?

Fair enough. I will bear this in mind when decided if I want to spend time reading or commenting on posts with such a one-sided insular attitude exhibited.

mark61

Forum Member
I really can't see how swivel seats would have achieved anything in this case, in fact as mentioned, you would have lost storage space.

Squiffy

Forum Member
The word fact applies as it can be proven, if (note: *IF*) you don't overly want to use the cab seats, you can enlarge USABLE SPACE in the rear and make it less compromised. As I sad above, take a layout of any van (to scale) with a front lounge, non fixed bed. Edit and rearrange elements, and you will end up converting the floorspace that was behind the cab seats into usable space elsewhere. That's where the word fact comes in. Happy or the end results not to be liked, that's personal choice and personal choice is not part of the definition of the word "fact".

(aka I'm doing it - show me any other van with 1.8x1.2m permanent L sofa; >1x0.7 bathroom, kitchen with >1m2 worktop; wardrobes; cupboards; AND space for 2 bikes (full size mountain bikes) and 2 snowboards (and gear, not in habitation area) in a MWB van? That's our priorities. AFAIK its not possible with cab seats being used.

As I've made clear 1001 times, everyones usage is different. If I was a campsite dweller, or we were older and different life style, then views change. I'm not here looking for compliments or acceptance, or even to debate. I'm not sure everyone that understands others may know what they want and, hell no, it may be different to them!

I was posting just to add content as people have been moaning in another thread that the site is quiet. To be honest, I can see why many don't bother posting lol. I love constructive comments, its how I learn and improve. TBH - I'm not overly interested in knowing how others user their vans of why our layout won't work for them. It matters not to me!

Anyway, this thread was to showcase Regal, show a different way of making a bed frame (not seen anyone use the method I devised - hope it gives others ideas rather than usual pull out affairs) and to show new ideas to those with open eyes :)

If anyone really gives a shit rather than just wanting to just tell me its not for them, watch the CAD video on my channel which has a walkaround of the layout and explains more. Updates will be on there, so subscribe there if interested ,and you'll see the it coming together. If its not for you or have nothing constructive to add - don't bother :)

I'll post update when complete. Probably.
Well well, after reading that I have to change my view of your posts and future posts, it seems to me that you have decided it's your way or no way, hey ho it also would seem that you are using the site for possible commercial gain which is not the primary use or intention of sites such as this, if this is not correct then adding quips about clicking on adds is only fueling confusing content. 🥱 Phil

P.s. As for the bed board layout I had that affair in my Swift Sundance 630L 16 years ago. In the centre dinning area.

Last edited:

SquirrellCook

Forum Member
Salesman, no. Politician shamed? A sad fact of life is nothing is new, some so and so has been there before. It is true that if you force your view for long enough people will believe you. American history proves this.
Such a shame as it could have been good. This is what I proposed and why. Comments, praise and suggestions would follow. Some would make you sure you were on the right track. Others may make you think again. But more importantly you could inspire and guide those with less experience and skills. Much better than milking them.

btw, didn’t we get one of Phil’s naughty filters ;)

Silver sprinter

Forum Member
Our design was always not to use the cab seats, which many told us was wrong. But not using them allows us to have an uncompromised L shaped sofa, convertible to U sofa, and convertible to bed. Everyone is different, this works for us, and its probably the most snug comfortable seat we've had in a van! Not for everyone, sure.

The layout is probably unique as is the frame method for making the bed (well I've not seen it done and spend 100s brain hours and sleepless nights working it out!)

All designed by us, but cushions outsourced to Regal to make as this quality is beyond us. 10/10 for them - can't fault

Hope it gives ideas :)

Hi thanks for posting and video. My friend used regal and need to say I was very impressed with quality and the special touches regal done at no extra charge. You have done well with your build 👍

Millie Master

Forum Member
I am sorry to say but I share the views expressed by my old mate @Squiffy and @SquirrellCook , I always become suspicious when I see lengthy YouTube videos! I am on quite a few Facebook groups and I can't help but yawning whenever I see participants self publicising.

Phil

trevskoda

Forum Member
You said that you could carry 2 others, where there are no rear belted seats facing forward or back from what i see, side belted seats are out and were very dangerous in there day, otherwise your van your choice of layout.

mark61

Forum Member
You said that you could carry 2 others, where there are no rear belted seats facing forward or back from what i see, side belted seats are out and were very dangerous in there day, otherwise your van your choice of layout.
I think the two others were guests, while parked up. No mention of traveling with them.

wildebus

Forum Member
Seating capacity, sleeping capacity and travelling capacity are all very different animals and there is no reason to confuse them or to have them match up in any way.

Case in point.
My own motorhome has two belted seats - so two people can travel.
It is a 4 berth design - so 4 people can sleep in it. Is that wrong with only two travel seats? absolutely NOT. You might have a group where two travel in the Motorhome and two travel in their car, either in convoy, or from a different location and they meet up and holiday together.
You could comfortably have 6 or 7 people sat in the Lounge area with no problems. So the two who travel in the Motorhome dine with the 2 people who came in their car and are also sleeping in it, plus a couple of guests in to enjoy some food, drink and company.

Where's the problem? In fact, when I was looking at Motorhomes, I saw that the majority of Autotrail "Indian" models (Frontier versions and the Cheyenne range) have two, four and six berth capacity but just the two travel seats (in the front cab) and this is clearly because they know that a fair percentage of people travel just two up but chose a larger motorhome for the space.

(I have seen comments on a couple of facebook groups where people have been adament that if a motorhome has more berths than there are travel seats, the insurance is automatically voided. What an incredible load of twaddle some people spout on that platform and why I tend to use it very little!)

Last edited:

Squiffy

Forum Member
I am still not clear in my mind as to the exact ruling on side facing seats, as far as I can determine side facing seats without seat belt restraints for travelling are still legal but frowned upon, for all the legal speak and the police plus others would like to cloud the issue by saying it is illegal to travel using them. From what I have determined only adults (18+) can use them and it is left to the discretion of the police officer who stops the vehicle for whatever reason to decide if the seat is built to a standard which would not collapse in the case of a road traffic accident. This then would fall into the category of the attending police officer would have to be trained in vehicle use and construction. I have in the past taken family members all over 18 on trips using the rear side facing seats, I wouldn't want to have to test my theory but if stopped I would definitely fight it in court if charged though even that is not clear, as if over 18 the seat user seems to be solely responsible for their actions and not the driver. When you all go looking in vehicle use and construction and any other legal documentation you will see just how nebulous the wording is, unless of course I've missed a paragraph that clearly states that the use of side facing seats is definitely illegal under any circumstances. Phil

Silver sprinter

Forum Member
I am still not clear in my mind as to the exact ruling on side facing seats, as far as I can determine side facing seats without seat belt restraints for travelling are still legal but frowned upon, for all the legal speak and the police plus others would like to cloud the issue by saying it is illegal to travel using them. From what I have determined only adults (18+) can use them and it is left to the discretion of the police officer who stops the vehicle for whatever reason to decide if the seat is built to a standard which would not collapse in the case of a road traffic accident. This then would fall into the category of the attending police officer would have to be trained in vehicle use and construction. I have in the past taken family members all over 18 on trips using the rear side facing seats, I wouldn't want to have to test my theory but if stopped I would definitely fight it in court if charged though even that is not clear, as if over 18 the seat user seems to be solely responsible for their actions and not the driver. When you all go looking in vehicle use and construction and any other legal documentation you will see just how nebulous the wording is, unless of course I've missed a paragraph that clearly states that the use of side facing seats is definitely illegal under any circumstances. Phil
[/QUOTyes. I think it's s grey area regarding the law. Not what you or I think. One of the motorhome magazine did a report on it and again it was a grey area regarding the law. Yes we all know what most people will think.

Nabsim

Forum Member
I seem to recall the registration year was important for side facing seats, not allowed after a certain dat or not allowed to be used as travel seats after a certain date. If I am remembering right I think it was either 2007 or 2012. That didn’t mean you couldn’t be charged with anything though, unsecured load I think was the fall back if they wanted to get you for something. If it actually happens I have no idea.
Check the date thing yourself though as my memory is suspect, I know it’s different anyway with kids, they have to have a seat belt

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)