Off topic transformer.

#1
Hi all, I have a ign transformer taken from an oil burner. Its the type that send very high voltage to two electrodes causing an arc which ignites the fuel blown into the burner under pressure.
I have another use for it that involves it to be switched on but not arcing very often. I rigged it up like this and left it on but after about five hours it had overheated and burned out.
The draw in standby mode was if I remember only about fifteen watts. I have a pressure washer with one of these transformers which is always on and arcing and stays on for hours if I have a big job for the washer.
I expected the transformer to get warm but not hot enough to melt the insulation as it did and run all over the floor. I have a microwave transformer I tested last night and that works fine but I didnt want to leave it unattended in the garage all night as it might have been a fire risk if it did the same as the first one. I could immerse the transformer in oil in an open top container to cool it but I am not sure why it should get so hot when its just in standby mode.
I have the rest of today to switch it on and monitor it but dont want to leave it tonight. Any ideas?
 

Edina

Administrator
#2
Sounds like a thing David, Wildebus , could help you with, praps worth sending him a message?
 


#3
Hi all, I have a ign transformer taken from an oil burner. Its the type that send very high voltage to two electrodes causing an arc which ignites the fuel blown into the burner under pressure.
I have another use for it that involves it to be switched on but not arcing very often. I rigged it up like this and left it on but after about five hours it had overheated and burned out.
The draw in standby mode was if I remember only about fifteen watts. I have a pressure washer with one of these transformers which is always on and arcing and stays on for hours if I have a big job for the washer.
I expected the transformer to get warm but not hot enough to melt the insulation as it did and run all over the floor. I have a microwave transformer I tested last night and that works fine but I didnt want to leave it unattended in the garage all night as it might have been a fire risk if it did the same as the first one. I could immerse the transformer in oil in an open top container to cool it but I am not sure why it should get so hot when its just in standby mode.
I have the rest of today to switch it on and monitor it but dont want to leave it tonight. Any ideas?

Update, the microwave transformer has been left switched on(not working/stand by mode) for around an hour and is far to hot to touch for more than a couple of second so I have switched it of. john.
 
#4
I don't really have a real suggestion for this.
If it is meant to draw 15W in standby then it should not be getting even warm I would think so. It sounds like it is actually always on if it is getting that hot? some kind of internal short maybe? sounds like it has a fault from the description?
 


#5
I don't really have a real suggestion for this.
If it is meant to draw 15W in standby then it should not be getting even warm I would think so. It sounds like it is actually always on if it is getting that hot? some kind of internal short maybe? sounds like it has a fault from the description?
Thanks for the reply, I have a correction. In standby the transformer is drawing 95 watts. This is six times more than I said earlier. One way I could operate it would be to use a PIR and a relay to switch it on then I suppose it would never get hot. I could set the PIR to two minutes or so and hopefully all would be well. Ive had another think about the transformer in the pressure cleaner and I think its mounted in the flow of the combustion fan so its kept cool that way. PS I am making a rat killer its not funny having a rat chewing vehicle wiring.
 


#6
I don't know if it is of any relevance or would help, but on various youtube channels I have watched, there is a big vermin nesting under the bonnet and eating wiring in many places in the US. And one way which seems to help reduce this is to leave the bonnet (or 'hood') up so it is less dark and cosy.
 


#7
We have a front van seat in my man shed they have had a good go at that as well. I saw a stray cat coming out of the shed the other day it looks as if I might be getting some free help with the problem:)
 
#11
Funny this post should come up again, tonight the new much improved top of the range limited edition rat machine has been set. I got the last of the bits from ebay today. I have a microwave transformer controlled by a PIR through a 240v ac relay, rigged this way the transformer is not powered until the rodent breaks the beam. Then hell is let loose for 20 seconds then it is switched of until the next victim comes along. :)
 


Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Top