Millage

Annaelliott

Forum Member
Hi everybody,
Debating buying a iveco daily to convert, the millage is 220,000 miles Diesel engine. Is the millage to high?

Millie Master

Forum Member
Can I presume you mean Mileage?

As my dad always used to say when considering buying an old car/van, it all depends on the condition of the general mechanical parts and most importantly of all, the body.

The trouble with older Iveco Daily vans is that the bodies can and do rust and rust in a very nasty fashion, however their chassis is made of both thick and strong steel.
So check the condition of the body thoroughly and if you are a dab hand with a welding torch and the price is right then it might be worthwhile buying, however thoroughly check the MOT history by entering the vehicle reg. into this DVLA site https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/?_ga=2.39368618.865427227.1546622629-1890514419.1545561094

The engines and gearboxes are both very long lasting, however like with all things, it depends how well they have been looked after, so even at 220,000 miles they might well be still in quite serviceable condition, so take it out for a good lond test ride and see how it drives, how well the gears engage, how well the clutch feels and how well the brakes work.

Pudsey Bear

Forum Member
Iveco's are usually nice to drive as they are more truck-like than most vans, but they are also built like a truck and therefore quite heavy so less payload and also in my experience quite thirsty so unless you really like this one I'd look at other more popular makes

trevskoda

Forum Member
Mine is a old 59-12 bus 2.8 turbo and built like a tank, but if it has a cam belt then change it, make sure its got a high ratio diff if r wheel drive, if front im sure it will be ok, do look over the electrics as this is the weak point on i ty trucks.
axle in b.jpg
sunday b.jpg

Last edited:

Sprinter 1 cup

Forum Member
What year ??????
If its what you want and not just price ? mot check is a must and where done ie staion numder if not 1 or 2 owners. Stations can tell you

200k 1 owner is ok 200k 5 owners ten years ouch old. Look at the last company owner that owned it .for how long . All easy information form internet and a phone call, before a wasted travel.

Rember they all end up in grave yard ! just make sure your the second to last owner . Lol

wildebus

Forum Member
Hi everybody,
Debating buying a iveco daily to convert, the millage is 220,000 miles Diesel engine. Is the millage to high?
Personally speaking, If I had a van with that kind of mileage, I would not put a lot of money into a conversion. I don't hold with any comments like "bullet proof" or "designed to do 500,000 miles" or whatever. 200,000+ is a big mileage whichever way you look at it.
If it is your first conversion and a bit of a trial run, ok. If you are hoping to make your "forever campervan", start with a less worn out base.

I bought a VW T5 2.5TDi to convert - they are "bullet proof" as everyone knows, eh? Previous owner spent around £10,000 on servicing and repairs in the previous 2 years before I bought it. I spent about £4-£5,000 in servicing and repairs before I sold it 18 months later (to do a new conversion).
That was a 170,000 mile van. I doubt if it was a 70,000 mile van it would have needed to have nigh on £15k of money dropped on it!

You may save a fair chunk of cash on the base vehicle, but the cost of your conversion will be the same be it a high miler like that or a brand new van - and the brand new one will last a lot longer and repay you better (and for brand new, could read "nearly new" or 'reasonable miles').

mb2tv

Forum Member
Personally speaking, If I had a van with that kind of mileage, I would not put a lot of money into a conversion. I don't hold with any comments like "bullet proof" or "designed to do 500,000 miles" or whatever. 200,000+ is a big mileage whichever way you look at it.
If it is your first conversion and a bit of a trial run, ok. If you are hoping to make your "forever campervan", start with a less worn out base.

I bought a VW T5 2.5TDi to convert - they are "bullet proof" as everyone knows, eh? Previous owner spent around £10,000 on servicing and repairs in the previous 2 years before I bought it. I spent about £4-£5,000 in servicing and repairs before I sold it 18 months later (to do a new conversion).
That was a 170,000 mile van. I doubt if it was a 70,000 mile van it would have needed to have nigh on £15k of money dropped on it!

You may save a fair chunk of cash on the base vehicle, but the cost of your conversion will be the same be it a high miler like that or a brand new van - and the brand new one will last a lot longer and repay you better (and for brand new, could read "nearly new" or 'reasonable miles').
Agree completely!
It is not only the cost of the materials, it is the time you spent building!
The other side of the coin... I think that if you invest in a new/young van, there is no point on buying very cheap materials as you would like them to last.

Sprinter 1 cup

Forum Member
THEY'LL have all the templates tho, and the van like philes got in mind and a start . I spent all my buget 2020 on van and still fitting it out 2022
As no money.

But no responsesas yet! So sounds like a start of a long journey. For them

trevskoda

Forum Member
Yes mine had only fiftyish thu miles on the clock, one owner, a chap not far from me bought it and fooket it up inside<black & decor man>, had to strip and start from scratch, miles were low and only 10 years old but sat in a warehouse for 5 of those, ex-library bus.
Was well worth spending 4 grand on build, this included 2 inner front wings which were hand made, costing me £2400 out of the 4 grand, total cost of van 6 grand and i have had it almost 10 years.

Last edited:

Duckato

Forum Member
540,000 so just run in, it was a bit, well actually, it was bloody awful cosmetically. I was glad when the owner finally took it home there was something evil growing on the seats and I was concerned it might eat me!

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)