mb2tv MH Design

mb2tv

Forum Member
I think I am in the correct place to post this:
Van:
We have been looking for a while for a van to convert. Looking at second hand vans, almost non of them come with an airbag for the passenger, let alone other safety features. After considering long and hard we decided to go with VW Crafter. We have seen on with most of what we wanted but the price was sky high, and dealer would not budge. Looking around, we found that we can buy a new van to our spec at a considerable lower price then a used one standing on the forecourt. SO van is now on order, expected in September. VW Crafter MWB, the 'normal' one is high roof so no issues there (we are in no rash so happy to wait).
Design:
It was decided that we do not want LPG, so all electric, and diesel heater. Hot water is looking like electric as well.
The initial design looks like this:

Initial van.jpg

This is very 'loosely' based on a Vanworx MaxTraxx crafter design, with some changes.
Sleeping will be sideways, if we will find it too short we will consider adding a side pod but think we will be OK without.
Water tank will be at the 'garage' on one side and batteries and electric system on the other side. We plan to go with LiFePo4 batteries as we will need it for both hot water and induction hob. Appropriate size inverter will be near the batteries. Grey water will be under the van.
The van will have to be under 3500kg as I want my daughter to be able to drive it, so trying to go as light as we can with as little compromise as possible.
The design includes a shower/toilet (chemical) and the garage should hold 2 pair of bicycles. I am considering fitting actuators to lift the bed for ease of use of the garage.

We started looking for parts, and currently looking for seats. from reading around the ford Transit minibus seats are usually the builders choice.

This is where we are at the moment - comments are welcomed.

Silver sprinter

Forum Member
Looks a nice design. Are you having 2 single front seats that swivel round and if so. While I don't know the size of van mwb. Is a short van I'm questioning if you can get width of bed. Fridge and work unit how much room is left when side door is open. To get in and out. And same with other side. Width of bed shower double seat. How much room between drivers seat when turned and double seat. I'm I right in it only sleeps two. Is the double seat for your daughter to sit. And if so have you considered a double passanger seat that swivels round. If you look up there is a guy on this that fitted a great amount into a mwb van and I'm sure there is a few videos. I wish you every success

Last edited:

mb2tv

Forum Member
Looks a nice design. Are you having 2 single front seats that swivel round and if so. While I don't know the size of van mwb. Is a short van I'm questioning if you can get width of bed. Fridge and work unit how much room is left when side door is open. To get in and out. And same with other side. Width of bed shower double seat. How much room between drivers seat when turned and double seat. I'm I right in it only sleeps two. Is the double seat for your daughter to sit. And if so have you considered a double passanger seat that swivels round. If you look up there is a guy on this that fitted a great amount into a mwb van and I'm sure there is a few videos. I wish you every success
Thank you Silver sprinter,
Yes, the Crafter will have 2 front seats, and they will swivel. The Crafter MWB is 6m long (5.97m to be accurate) and we think we will have enough space. I left about 60cm from the side door for entrance - I think this is enough but final decision will be when we get the van. The double passenger seat meant to take daughter and her partner, and they are quite happy to sleep in a tent (actually they prefer it) outside (we have done this before with the caravan, even though the caravan can sleep 4).
I have been looking a lot on the tube and grabbing ideas hat we think we would like.

Thanks!

wildebus

Forum Member
Hello :)

Ref the ford seats, a local campervan conversion company to me often used the Ford seats (think from the MPV version of the Transit?) as rear seating on the VW Transporters. If memory serves, they have to build up a support frame a couple of inches high to mount them.

In terms of size comparison, length-wise the MWB Sprinter and Crafter (I think they are still the same dimensions to each other?) is just about the same length as the LWB Ducato/Relay, give or take a couple of cm.

(I thought I posted this earlier but I think stuck as a draft?)

Nabsim

Forum Member
Starting from scratch as you are take a look at the combined air and water diesel heaters. Electric water heating normally uses a lot of power. Of course it all depends on your intended use, if only in summer and odd weekends solar will provide a lot. For long stays off grid it’s a different matter for part of the year.

mb2tv

Forum Member
Starting from scratch as you are take a look at the combined air and water diesel heaters. Electric water heating normally uses a lot of power. Of course it all depends on your intended use, if only in summer and odd weekends solar will provide a lot. For long stays off grid it’s a different matter for part of the year.
Thank you for your comments Nabsim,
We did look at it... and we liked it very much, until we got to the price! The Truma D6e is about gbp2500, and the equivalent Webasto is the same. The Webasto one cannot be 'self installed', only their approved installers which add to the cost. Air heating with Webasto is around gbp700 and a 10L combined heater 12V and 240V is around gbp400. When we thought further, we liked the fact that they are separate systems and independent of each other. I do not understand why they are so expensive, but I will add it to the list of things I do not understand.
We know from the caravan what our hot water usage is and I think (well, calculated) that we will be OK on battery power.
I know about the Chinese heaters, and they are NOT considered as I have some issues with them.

mb2tv

Forum Member
Hello :)

Ref the ford seats, a local campervan conversion company to me often used the Ford seats (think from the MPV version of the Transit?) as rear seating on the VW Transporters. If memory serves, they have to build up a support frame a couple of inches high to mount them.

In terms of size comparison, length-wise the MWB Sprinter and Crafter (I think they are still the same dimensions to each other?) is just about the same length as the LWB Ducato/Relay, give or take a couple of cm.

(I thought I posted this earlier but I think stuck as a draft?)
Thank you for that!
I am looking for seats from Transit minibuses, as there seem to be some of them around. Have not seen the one for me yet, still looking. I liked the fact they can have a quick release, but that mean I need to buy them with the rails. I know I might have a 'hight' issue, I have not thought how to solve that yet, either they will be on a different level, or not.
Yes, I think the Sprinter MWB, Crafter MWB and the Ducato LWB (and similar) are roughly the same.

wildebus

Forum Member
Thank you for that!
I am looking for seats from Transit minibuses, as there seem to be some of them around. Have not seen the one for me yet, still looking. I liked the fact they can have a quick release, but that mean I need to buy them with the rails. I know I might have a 'hight' issue, I have not thought how to solve that yet, either they will be on a different level, or not.
Yes, I think the Sprinter MWB, Crafter MWB and the Ducato LWB (and similar) are roughly the same.
This is the converter who I know used the Ford Seats ... https://www.facebook.com/Mill-Garage-Duns-883601224992397/
They have a new website but my Malwarebytes is flagging it as suspicious. probably a "false positive" but worth mentioning. Maybe in the meantime some info in Facebook?

mb2tv

Forum Member
If you’re looking for Transit minibus seats try...

They also have lots of different cab dual seats.
Thank you - Had a look at them. They are mostly older models. the newer model looks much nicer (did I mention the fact I am fussy...?).
I have a few I am looking on at on this auction site.

Millie Master

Forum Member
Everyone to their own, but going all electric will almost certainly result in a vastly reduced choice of sites to stop on as surely an EHU will become essential?

wildebus

Forum Member
Everyone to their own, but going all electric will almost certainly result in a vastly reduced choice of sites to stop on as surely an EHU will become essential?
Depends on the time of year to a great extent.
In the summer, the only use of gas would be cooking - and induction Hobs, microwaves and slow cookers can fix that.

In wintertime, regeneration of battery energy will be limited to either hookup or driving. If tendency is to stay no more than two nights at any one place, should not be a problem to stay off-grid.
I went to a WC Meet in Moffat in the winter - it was cold for sure and the heater was on non-stop. I heated the water, cooked some (basic) meals, watched TV, etc for the two days and nights I was there off-grid with no gas and no EHU.

Last edited:

mb2tv

Forum Member
As Wildebus said above, i think it is do-able. Coming from a caravan, where in winter it was out if the question to stay off grid, I think it can be done. Our caravan has blown air system which meant the fan needed to work all the time and the battery we have, one night was about the max we could do without EHU. The plan is to have 300AH of LiFePo4 bank, so as said above, it should not be a problem. The idea of having a motorhome is allow moving so the battery will be charged as well while doing that.

mb2tv

Forum Member
As Wildebus said above, i think it is do-able. Coming from a caravan, where in winter it was out if the question to stay off grid, I think it can be done. Our caravan has blown air system which meant the fan needed to work all the time , and the battery we have, one night was about the max we could do without EHU. The plan is to have 300AH of LiFePo4 bank, so as said above, it should not be a problem. The idea of having a motorhome is allow moving so the battery will be charged as well while doing that.

mb2tv

Forum Member
Seats are now clean and rust free (pics later, as it is still a bit damp so not representative).

Here is my first question:
I am considering how to build the bed frame at the back.
There are three options I can think of:

1. 2" X 4" wood beams
2. Ikea bed bars (the once you can extend to any length)
3. Aluminium frame - what our USA friends call 80-20. I thought of using 40mm square.

I should add that the current thought is to make a frame in such a way that it can be raised with linear actuators for ease of use (the bicycles are going to be there, and will be easy to take in/out).

Any one used the aluminium frame? The weight difference between that and 2" X 4" wood is not that big, but it will be thinner - hence more space.

Any thought/comments are welcome.

Thanks

mbt2v

wildebus

Forum Member
For the mattress support I've used IKEA curved slats in the last two campers. Strong, light, prefinished and cheaper than buying the bare wood to make your own from.
In the last camper with the fixed bed, I used a complete IKEA bed frame and bolted on wooden leg extensions to raise it up to window level (wasn't adjustable, just fixed at that height).

Oh, something that you may not have considered (or been aware of?)... Froli make a very nice adjustable ratchet-style head rest. got about 6 positions which you access by lifting up the end of the bed by simply leaning over and pulling - a bit like how you adjust a deck chair - and then on the final lift it falls flat again. I found that really nice to have. Designed in a single size but works well on a double by having two side by side.

mb2tv

Forum Member
I did not get to think of the slats...yet..., the Ikea seem a good option !
No, i was not aware of this 'frolic' system, look like a good idea, i will investigate further (ie see what the 'authorities' think of this...🙃)
Thank you!

workbox

Forum Member
It was decided that we do not want LPG, so all electric, and diesel heater. Hot water is looking like electric as well.

for hot water you might consider using inexpensive therme 2. it has 2 options passive using webasto hot air and/or/both electric 300 watts.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)