Manual drill question

Tookey

Forum Member
I am starting to think about the toolbox for my overland trip, I don't want to carry a drill/charger/battery for obvious reasons.

If you are using a manual drill (never used one, to young :p) at an angle where you cant use body weight and only push are they still effective?

Squiffy

Forum Member
I am starting to think about the toolbox for my overland trip, I don't want to carry a drill/charger/battery for obvious reasons.

If you are using a manual drill (never used one, to young :p) at an angle where you cant use body weight and only push are they still effective?
Well Tookey, I have used manual drills on many occasions in my life and never had a problem, the main thing to remember is that the drill bit is sharp and the sharpening is done at the correct angle if this is done correctly then very little pressure is required to drill through most materials you are likely to need to drill through. They managed with hand drills for centuries before electric drills were invented which helped the folk who had blunt drill bits burn their way through by leaning on top of the drill with all their weight. 😉 Phil

P.s. Correctly sharpening a drill bit also makes it so much easier to use an electric or air driven drill too

Last edited:

Tookey

Forum Member
Well Tookey, I have used manual drills on many occasions in my life and never had a problem, the main thing to remember is that the drill bit is sharp and the sharpening is done at the correct angle if this is done correctly then very little pressure is required to drill through most materials you are likely to need to drill through. They managed with hand drills for centuries before electric drills were invented which helped the folk who had blunt drill bits burn their way through by leaning on top of the drill with all their weight. 😉 Phil

P.s. Correctly sharpening a drill bit also makes it so much easier to use an electric or air driven drill too
Ty Squiffy, I will take some new bits. Fingers crossed I won't need them. With regards to the question the scenario I was most concerned about was bending/breaking something on the underside and being on my back drilling out a bent bolt. So the first reply is a thumbs up, that's good

SquirrellCook

Forum Member
We carry a mains powered drill, though I think it was only ever used once.
When you buy drill bits, check they cut before taking them away with you.
Modern drill bits from the well known brands seldom cut. I often have the sharpen them first.
Also make sure they are ground with a "split point" it will dramatically reduce the effort in use.

Tookey

Forum Member
Thanks gents. Interesting that you guys have mentioned cobalt and split point as my work metal drill bits are excellent......and yes, cobalt and split

20200902_122936.jpg

Millie Master

Forum Member
Also make sure they are ground with a "split point" it will dramatically reduce the effort in use.

What a thick so and so I am, I had never heard of a "split point" drill bit before, I had better start throwing away even more kit in my house moving, down sizing move as I had wondered why the drills I had were so bloody useless and not only didn't cut, but used to snap like a carrot if the going got tough!!

Phil

ps. But me flabbers are gasted.......... I have just taken a look at cobalt split point drill sets and as for the prices of them............ I need a drink!!

Last edited:

Squiffy

Forum Member
What a thick so and so I am, I had never heard of a "split point" drill bit before, I had better start throwing away even more kit in my house moving, down sizing move as I had wondered why the drills I had were so bloody useless and not only didn't cut, but used to snap like a carrot if the going got tough!!

Phil
😄😄 my thoughts exactly Phil but I did not want to seem inept 😆. Phil

Squiffy

Forum Member
I've always found that a correctly sharpened hardened steel drill bit did what I required, without paying copious amounts of money for a difficult to sharpened multipoint money pit 😄. Phil

trevskoda

Forum Member
I've always found that a correctly sharpened hardened steel drill bit did what I required, without paying copious amounts of money for a difficult to sharpened multipoint money pit 😄. Phil
No way will normal bits drill the inside gage bars on my van as they are stainless steel,only cobalt will do it.

Squiffy

Forum Member
Cobolt in my view are a standard drill bit I have no argument with that but all this double point cutting bits that are almost impossible to reface properly are ali
Ridculously priced and do no more than any standard drill does if correctly sharpened. Phil

SquirrellCook

Forum Member
I’ve not seen or used the piloted drills before and can imagine them being horrible to sharpen by hand. As for splitting the point it’s quite easy to do, and very worthwhile.
What I find a problem is, seeing the drill bit to sharpen it. I’m afraid that I won’t even attempt a 1mm bit now.

trevskoda

Forum Member
Any elcheepos i buy end up in the bin after 1 or 2 holes drilled,i bought a good bit sharpner but found it useless with cheep bits.

Tookey

Forum Member

Phil

ps. But me flabbers are gasted.......... I have just taken a look at cobalt split point drill sets and as for the prices of them............ I need a drink!!
I was shocked the first time I used the ones pictured, to say they are very good is an understatement. I cant comment on longevity yet. Maybe just pick up one in the mm you use most frequently :unsure:

Tookey

Forum Member
I am going to get a manual, put it on the xmas list.

Is there a stand out brand for manuals, the equivalent of a Dewalt?

n brown

Forum Member
i have had and used good quality hand drills . imo they belong in the past,like yankee screwdrivers and handsaws . when these old tools were superceded i was first in line to buy the new up-to-date stuff . i used to sharpen my Disston rip , panel and tenon saws every week . putting in 200 screws with a Yankee was a sight better than using cabinet drivers ,but still very tedious.
so my vote is ,just get a nice cordless drill and enjoy
i use milwaukee drill bits ,they're fine

wildebus

Forum Member
I guess it may be handy to have a manual drill if you are stuck in the back of beyond and your electric one fails, but I think I would definately carry a battery drill, complete with a couple of chargers and a few batteries, and chose a system that also supports other devices (I would think a cordless jigsaw could be handy?)

I use the Ryobi One+ 18V system with a selection of drills (standard, hammer, angle and impact driver) plus garden strimmer and hedge trimmer.
I also use the Bosch Green "Easy" products which use a 12V/10.8V Battery and with that one battery system can drive a Drill, Jigsaw, Mini-Chainsaw (great for plunge cuts) as well as a Torch and Vacuum. I also use the same battery to run my Cordless Dremel, plus got Chargers for the batteries that connect to 240V Mains and 12V DC.
I rarely use corded saws and drills now.

Tookey

Forum Member
I guess it may be handy to have a manual drill if you are stuck in the back of beyond and your electric one fails, but I think I would definately carry a battery drill, complete with a couple of chargers and a few batteries, and chose a system that also supports other devices (I would think a cordless jigsaw could be handy?)

I use the Ryobi One+ 18V system with a selection of drills (standard, hammer, angle and impact driver) plus garden strimmer and hedge trimmer.
I also use the Bosch Green "Easy" products which use a 12V/10.8V Battery and with that one battery system can drive a Drill, Jigsaw, Mini-Chainsaw (great for plunge cuts) as well as a Torch and Vacuum. I also use the same battery to run my Cordless Dremel, plus got Chargers for the batteries that connect to 240V Mains and 12V DC.
I rarely use corded saws and drills now.
true, but its all extra weight. I will definitely get the manual and then decide on the electric after a weigh bridge visit

ty

Squiffy

Forum Member
Bloody hell, what do you guys do when your away, I've been motorhoming for near on 25 years and never had the need for a drill or jigsaw for that matter. I take a screw driver a couple of relevant size spanners and my handyman Swiss army knife, digital meter oh and a small hammer, anything that goes wrong that I can't fix with those or the van jack and tool kit I call the Lovely AA or RAC Man, as modern vehicles if they ever break down there is precious little that can be done on the road side, and I'm certainly not going to reconfigure the internal layout when away on a trip. 🙄 Phil

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)