Inverter help needed

Pudsey Bear

Forum Member
Yes it is😙

Your bit in bold is the charger .

The inverter seems fine, and has a green led so far once plugged in and turned on.

I was (badly) trying to know if the chargers green light was due to the scooter battery trying to shove power back down the lead towards the inverter when the inverter is not on such as when I come to a stop and turn off the engine.

Nabsim

Forum Member
Yes it is😙

Your bit in bold is the charger .

The inverter seems fine, and has a green led so far once plugged in and turned on.

I was (badly) trying to know if the chargers green light was due to the scooter battery trying to shove power back down the lead towards the inverter when the inverter is not on such as when I come to a stop and turn off the engine.
No 😁

Merl

Forum Member
FFS, this is getting like an episode of one foot in the grave:ROFLMAO:
Green lights mean good.
Red light on the inverter means bad
Red light on the charger means good
Like I said, everything is working fine!
Don't worry about blowing a fuse (or anything else) by connecting things together in the wrong order.
Unplug the scooter charger from it's charger when it's 'off charge' for any length of time.
Enjoy!
Merl

Pudsey Bear

Forum Member
Obviously.

God you lot don't half go on a bit :):):):):):)

Re 12v to 24v any thoughts. I am thinking to make a more efficient fixed system with a relay / switch inline so as soon as I fire up the engine it'll charge the scooter, if its plugged in.

Merl

Forum Member
Depends what you are trying to achieve?
Your current setup is basically free and works so suck it and see for a while, time will tell you where your system falls short and needs improvement and hence which direction to take going forward.
Good luck 👍

Pudsey Bear

Forum Member
Speed of charge mainly Merl, I've been putting it on charge every time we move any distance and its not fully charged again since we left home despite having driven over 600 miles and only used the scooter for about 3 miles so far.

Pudsey Bear

Forum Member
Cost is relative really, not wanting to spend oodles as I don't have it but nothing is free since Brexit n Putin n Covid.

Merl

Forum Member
Ok so you could use the 4A charger I linked to previously and if that still falls short we could explore wiring the inverter/4A charger off of your leisure batt instead so you can take advantage of the stored energy there and your solar input.
Merl

Pudsey Bear

Forum Member
Ah yes, I forgot about that, my solar controller sends some to the starter battery too Merl, and the scooter is electrically 1m away, leisure would be approx about 4 to 5m away.

Merl

Forum Member
The amount of solar charge going to the cab batt won't be reliable, so best to stick with coming off the habitation bat if needs be. Much easier to use longer cabling off of your hab batt than working around discharging your cab batt accidentally.
Merl.

Merl

Forum Member
But you've got that control over charging already by using the fag lighter output mate. Why would using a relay in the way you describe improve your charging capability?

Nabsim

Forum Member
Okay maybe I should have expanded this post, it was meant in answer to your last paragraph where you were asking if it may be a problem getting the green light. I mean NO it wasn’t a problem, all ok 😁

Merl gave a lot more detail haha

Pudsey Bear

Forum Member
Liz isn't very steady on her feet, she's already pulled the inverter out of the ciggy socket twice so I need to get rid of that first, for me to use the leisure battery will get expensive fast as i would need someone who knows what they're doing as I'm not fit to do it (clue in needing a mobility scooter), starter battery is under floor in front of passenger seat in cab, scooter is inside the hab door behind the passenger seat so all close together, as you say I could carry on as is but I have ADD and I'm also a neat freak in the van, hence my wanting/needing a tidy solution.
I think i could cope with working on the starter battery as not too much bending involved, ditto working through the hab door to fit stuff. Just need to wait till I get home now.

Merl

Forum Member
If you hardwire stuff in now and you find that it still doesn't fulfil your needs you'll be re-doing it again mate. 😩

Pudsey Bear

Forum Member
How much do you think it'll cost, I probably have enough cable and terminals, maybe fuses and holders still from my self build.

Can't find the thingy 12v to 24v jobbing whatsit.

Pudsey Bear

Forum Member
I think that's about as fast as I could go on the starter battery isn't it, bigger is always better I suppose within reason.

Pudsey Bear

Forum Member
Finally found the 4amp charger link, it's a step in the right direction of course, but still going up a lot to come down a lot,

is 12 to 24v possible? Happy to buy the above if only to get the plug, dunno if they're available on their own or not.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)