I’ve sold our VARIO …… & now looking for another vehicle.

Darcar

Forum Member
What about the Fuso Canter. Truck like looks but smaller than most 7.5 tonnes.

Not a recommendation by the way, just another option.
Hi Mark.
Yes, I have looked at the Fuso Mitsubishi canter, which are supported by Mercedes service stations and used all over Europe.
however I really want to be able to walk between the cab & the habitations area so a tipping cab is out of the question….

I have a wish list that I’m loathed to move away from.
thanks Darren.

mark61

Forum Member
Hi Mark.
Yes, I have looked at the Fuso Mitsubishi canter, which are supported by Mercedes service stations and used all over Europe.
however I really want to be able to walk between the cab & the habitations area so a tipping cab is out of the question….

thanks Darren.
Think I'd come to the same conclusion as you, Iveco Daily.
I guess if going over 3.5 tonne, may as well go as close as you can to 7.5 t, if you need that sort carrying capacity.
All the other vans are well short of the Daily's 7.2 tonnes.

Seems to be a fair few auto Daily's around too, ok, it's not a conventional auto with a torque convertor, but doubt thats important.

Darcar

Forum Member
Think I'd come to the same conclusion as you, Iveco Daily.
I guess if going over 3.5 tonne, may as well go as close as you can to 7.5 t, if you need that sort carrying capacity.
All the other vans are well short of the Daily's 7.2 tonnes.

Seems to be a fair few auto Daily's around too, ok, it's not a conventional auto with a torque convertor, but doubt thats important.
I’ve been reading a few reviews on the iveco’s 8 speed auto gearbox. The Hi-matic box is made by ZF & is used in a lot of vehicles. Apparently it’s the same box BMW & Lamborghini use!
According to the reviews it’s more fuel efficient than there manual 6 speed box, & is being chosen by fleet buyers, which must say something!
I’ve test driven one & was very happy with it.

I’m now pretty sure it’s going to be a Iveco Daily Luton. I’d really like one with under a 100,000 miles tho so that’s limiting my choice somewhat.
I would like to find a 5ton sprinter/crafter to have a drive of tho.
Darren

SquirrellCook

Forum Member
Hi Mark.

thanks Darren.
I looked at the Fuso Rosa (small coach) and in Japan they are were really cheap for a couple of years old. Sadly not imported into the uk.
If I had the pennies I'd just buy a new chassis cab. A hybrid from the Netherlands where the spec. would be better for European driving.

Mark

Millie Master

Forum Member
Thanks again Phil.
TBH, it’s payload that concerns me the most.
We definitely like off grid camping, our limiting factor has always been water capacity, in our other van. So we‘d like to fit big tanks this time.
We don’t have to fill them all the time but it’s really nice to have the ability too.
cheers Darren.

Boring old fart that I am, but here goes again Darren!!

I built my Master LWB with an ultra light construction method which resulted in the following factual information.

When we had finished our build, I filled to the brim our grey and black water tanks, I also filled the fresh water tank to the brim, fuel tank full, our usually large amounts of clothing and food for a lengthy European trip and finally both of us and our 3 spaniels, we then headed off to our local weigh-bridge and did front and rear axle loads as well as combined.
Back then I couldn't believe the results, so we did the tests a second time and have done them a couple of times since as have others I know of who have followed my plans and build methods.

Quite amazingly, despite 'Millie' being loaded to our maximum running weight there was still a very sizeable spare 750kg load margin!!

So for someone like you Darren who needs to carry a very large amount of water, built correctly, these truly amazing vans can tick one hell of a lot of boxes. So a low load Luton Master might just be the answer to your needs seeing as their base weight is lower.

Phil

Pudsey Bear

Forum Member
I can see the attraction of them being and easy build, but not liking the look of them at all I'm afraid it's just a box, I'd like to see one done nice on the outside too, especially if it's on your drive all the time and you and you neighbours have to look at it.

mark61

Forum Member
I’ve been reading a few reviews on the iveco’s 8 speed auto gearbox. The Hi-matic box is made by ZF & is used in a lot of vehicles. Apparently it’s the same box BMW & Lamborghini use!
According to the reviews it’s more fuel efficient than there manual 6 speed box, & is being chosen by fleet buyers, which must say something!
I’ve test driven one & was very happy with it.

I’m now pretty sure it’s going to be a Iveco Daily Luton. I’d really like one with under a 100,000 miles tho so that’s limiting my choice somewhat.
I would like to find a 5ton sprinter/crafter to have a drive of tho.
Darren
Usually a few 5 tonne ones on ebay.
Usually loads of 519 ambulances, nearly all auto, mostly euro 5 though, might be a few euro 6, but usually are 400,000 km plus.

Duckato

Forum Member
@Darcar
I have the 8 speed ZF in my BMW F11, its a cracking gearbox almost seamless changes and yes the mpg (in cars) is typically stated to be a bit better than for the manual however that could also be very dependent on ones right foot.

When I was looking to buy van to convert my first choice would have been one of the Ivecos with the 8 speed auto box but at that time they were beyond my budget.

I have a 5000kg Dually Sprinter that has now done 315,000 miles with the 5 speed full Auto box, the gaps between ratios are significant. My vans box can react too slowly, it loses considerable speed before changing down gear with cruise control turned on when tackling hills especially at 30mph. I tend to have to preempt what the box will or rather won't do to maintain a more consistent speed.

Unusually for a full auto It does provide a useful degree of engine braking if used manually plus I also have a Retarder.
The later 7 or most recent 9 speed variants are probably far more refined.

I also have a VW Crafter with the robotised clutch Semi Automatic 6 speed box, this apart from having a very low 1st gear is better at maintaining consistent speed, it also has true engine braking if required. it does hold the gears a bit longer than I like at times so I tend to nudge it up manually occasionally, it behave better with the Cruise control but that could simply be because the Crafter is lighter than the Sprinter and has the extra cog.

I like autos and haven't owned a manual vehicle for years, my last was a Supercharged V8 MG.

Darcar

Forum Member
I looked at the Fuso Rosa (small coach) and in Japan they are were really cheap for a couple of years old. Sadly not imported into the uk.
If I had the pennies I'd just buy a new chassis cab. A hybrid from the Netherlands where the spec. would be better for European driving.

Mark
I’d love to buy a new chassis cowl & have a box built to my plains. I would happily do the inside but I’d have no idea what the cost would be!

Darcar

Forum Member
Boring old fart that I am, but here goes again Darren!!

I built my Master LWB with an ultra light construction method which resulted in the following factual information.

When we had finished our build, I filled to the brim our grey and black water tanks, I also filled the fresh water tank to the brim, fuel tank full, our usually large amounts of clothing and food for a lengthy European trip and finally both of us and our 3 spaniels, we then headed off to our local weigh-bridge and did front and rear axle loads as well as combined.
Back then I couldn't believe the results, so we did the tests a second time and have done them a couple of times since as have others I know of who have followed my plans and build methods.

Quite amazingly, despite 'Millie' being loaded to our maximum running weight there was still a very sizeable spare 750kg load margin!!

So for someone like you Darren who needs to carry a very large amount of water, built correctly, these truly amazing vans can tick one hell of a lot of boxes. So a low load Luton Master might just be the answer to your needs seeing as their base weight is lower.

Phil
Haha Phil. You definitely love the Masters,
I’m 57 now so hopefully I’ve got about 10 years before my 7.5ton license goes! So this van will probably be my last self built. That’s why I’m being so picky.

Thanks for your comments as they always give me food for thought.

Darcar

Forum Member
I can see the attraction of them being and easy build, but not liking the look of them at all I'm afraid it's just a box, I'd like to see one done nice on the outside too, especially if it's on your drive all the time and you and you neighbours have to look at it.
Yep they’re certainly ugly looking campers… can’t argue with that but I’ve got a plan!!

I’m going to try to reduce the hight as much as sensible change the rear end and with doors windows stickers/graphics etc hopefully I can build a swan 🤷🏼‍♂️
Watch this space 😉

Darcar

Forum Member
@Darcar
I have the 8 speed ZF in my BMW F11, its a cracking gearbox almost seamless changes and yes the mpg (in cars) is typically stated to be a bit better than for the manual however that could also be very dependent on ones right foot.

When I was looking to buy van to convert my first choice would have been one of the Ivecos with the 8 speed auto box but at that time they were beyond my budget.

I have a 5000kg Dually Sprinter that has now done 315,000 miles with the 5 speed full Auto box, the gaps between ratios are significant. My vans box can react too slowly, it loses considerable speed before changing down gear with cruise control turned on when tackling hills especially at 30mph. I tend to have to preempt what the box will or rather won't do to maintain a more consistent speed.

Unusually for a full auto It does provide a useful degree of engine braking if used manually plus I also have a Retarder.

I also have a VW Crafter with the robotised clutch Semi Automatic 6 speed box, this apart from having a very low 1st gear is better at maintaining consistent speed, it also has true engine braking if required. it does hold the gears a bit longer than I like at times so I tend to nudge it up manually occasionally, it behave better with the Cruise control but that could simply be because the Crafter is lighter than the Sprinter and has the extra cog.

I like autos and haven't owned a manual vehicle for years, my last was a Supercharged V8 MG.
It’s a shame that nobody builds a van big enough for our requirements.
That’s why I’ve decided to go down the Luton route! I’d happily have a sprinter / crafter / or man. Although they are much rarer in over 3.5ton range. So Iveco is the front runner. 👍

JIXAMAN

Forum Member
@Darcar

Which one? (MG fan, had a TF fully prepared by Dreadnought, 302mm AP racing callipers, the 911's looked like they went into reverse gear going into the hairpin at Knockhill.... ...... Then they razzed me going up the hill but hey, it was an MG TF, its expected...) Sorry, thread unrelated...

Duckato

Forum Member
Which one? (MG fan, had a TF fully prepared by Dreadnought, 302mm AP racing callipers, the 911's looked like they went into reverse gear going into the hairpin at Knockhill.... ...... Then they razzed me going up the hill but hey, it was an MG TF, its expected...) Sorry, thread unrelated...
I had two MG ZT V8s a black nasp mk2 and a blue supercharged mk1, the blower was installed by dreadnought.
There’s a video of mine and several others on YouTube at the Belgian MGF meet in 2010.

I used to be the technical moderator of the 75&ZT owners club & I had the MG Rover T4 diags system then as well.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)