Heating Van over Winter

wildebus

Forum Member
More specifically, heating when unused over winter ....

Seems to be quite a few differences of opinion on this subject when you look at various forums. Some people say they have a small heater on low; others say it is a bad idea and promotes condensation.
I like to automate things where possible (not neccessarily for the sake of it, just it save me forgetting to either switch something on, or switch something off. If automated, it will just do it!), and am wondering if it is better to adapt my existing electric heating to be able to control it remotely/automatically to come on when it gets cold (could use something like Node Red that Tony is very familiar with to have a relay activate a heater when the temp drops). Or just put in a freestanding mini-radiator on a timer to come on and off?

Main concern I guess would be water. It certainly gets cold enough up here to freeze the water on a regular basis, so keeping pipes from splitting is #1 (so draining down and just not having plumbed-in water over winter if happening to be going away :( ). What do people who do use their vans over the cold period do?

MarkJ

Forum Member
Funnily enough, I was just thinking about that on my dog walk. I drain down, so I'm hopefully not at risk of pipes splitting.

I'm thinking of parking the other way around so that any sunshine there is will be on the windscreen, and hopefully solar gain will provide heat now and again. I also put a damp absorbing bag inside and keep an eye on that: if it's getting wet I give the van an airing.

I'm probably not going to get so cold down here as you folk up there, and I'd prefer not to heat, but rely on natural sunlight and a bit of ventilation now and again.

st3v3

Forum Member
A freestanding heater that has a stat and plug it into an alexa plug. You can then use that as a timer if you think necessary and have control remotely.

SquirrellCook

Forum Member
I can't remember the name or even where it is, but for last winter when Murky was parked at home it was connected to the mains electric. Both Victron battery chargers spent all their time in storage mode. Into one of the mains sockets I plugged a little heater. 100 or 200 watts. Turns out it had a timer in it too. So I set it to turn on for about 10 hours each evening. Completely removed that damp van feeling you often get in the winter. Oh and Markj comment about ventilation. I left a roof vent on very low blowing out.

wildebus

Forum Member
I had a workshop van in 2012 which I used to keep paint in - and being waterbased, it mustn't freeze. Tried one of those greenhouse tube heaters in and it was useless really. in the end used the heating pads as used in reptile houses in the cupboards and sat the paint boxes on that, which was much more effective, but extremely localised of course.
Thinking maybe something similar around the waterpipe where it is exposed between underslung tank and coming into the van floor? I think you can get electrically heated tape or something specifically for that kind of exposed pipe situation?

A freestanding heater that has a stat and plug it into an alexa plug. You can then use that as a timer if you think necessary and have control remotely.
I have an Alarm system that works with the "SmartHome" App (which is Alexa Compatible) and with SmartHome I can set a schedule (I automatically turn the alarm on at 10PM as an example). Get a plug that works with that or something similar and could work.

I can't remember the name or even where it is, but for last winter when Murky was parked at home it was connected to the mains electric. Both Victron battery chargers spent all their time in storage mode. Into one of the mains sockets I plugged a little heater. 100 or 200 watts. Turns out it had a timer in it too. So I set it to turn on for about 10 hours each evening. Completely removed that damp van feeling you often get in the winter. Oh and Markj comment about ventilation. I left a roof vent on very low blowing out.
Got a 400W Mini-Rad which had a frost setting so would be minimal use. combine that with an remotely controlled plug which is "smarthome" compatible and could be just the ticket :)
Only thing with the Schedule bit is it relies on the phone you are running the app to send the commands at the set time. the schedule is on the phone itself, not the device, so that could be awkward.

st3v3

Forum Member
Hi, I use the Sonoff plugs, which are about a tenner. Their eWeLink app will do it independently, and everything Alexa will also give you control. This is the schedule for out boiling water tap.

Screenshot_20211107-125804_eWeLink.jpg

These plugs:

I like how you can set the behaviour in the event of a power cut/restoration.

Would you like me to make a dull AF YouTube video explaining it?

🤣🤣🤣

SquirrellCook

Forum Member
Have you ever thought about how far we've left behind camping in a tent. Carried by a bicycle, and cooking over a primus stove. There was a time when that was considered advanced.

wildebus

Forum Member
Hi, I use the Sonoff plugs, which are about a tenner. Their eWeLink app will do it independently, and everything Alexa will also give you control. This is the schedule for out boiling water tap.

I like how you can set the behaviour in the event of a power cut/restoration.

Would you like me to make a dull AF YouTube video explaining it?

🤣🤣🤣

How reliable do you find them? just asking as last year I bought the official Amazon Alexa Smart Plug and that has worked flawlessly. I thought it was dead handy and bought a triple pack of a smart plug of a different brand and they seem to lose connection occasionally and it is a right pain as a couple are tucked away in awkward places.

Just realised I also have a smart power strip (https://amzn.to/3kfOyjF) I bought in June and not used yet! I got it to use with Christmas Tree Lights but it has an app as well as being Alexa Compatible so I think I'll try this out :)

wildebus

Forum Member
Have you ever thought about how far we've left behind camping in a tent. Carried by a bicycle, and cooking over a primus stove. There was a time when that was considered advanced.
Tent Camping? now that is a bit advanced for me.
A mate and I decided to go on a 2 week tour of the West Country, starting and finishing at Bristol Temple Meads, basically riding (on cycles) along the south coast to Lands End, then back up the north coast.

All our clothes, sleeping bags, etc. packed into panniers, but .... unlike Steve .....
I did quite like tent camping. Just not packing the f'kin thing up in the rain...
We didn't have to worry about packing up the tent and the stove as for some odd reason, even though it was a camping trip, we didn't bother taking a tent or a stove!
Not sure exactly what we were thinking, but it was good fun and never stopped at a B&B or hostel or anything, just in the open, bus shelters, half-built houses and random stuff like that.
(I am sure you may recollect it, but this was in the mid-70's during the era when the Radio 1 Roadshow was really popular (smiley miley and all that) and weirdly we ended up going to every place the Roadshow went to, either the day before or the day after, without realising)

Millie Master

Forum Member
IMHO my 'Millie' is always left well ventilated after I have winterise/decommissioned her each autumn/winter, the fridge door is left well open as is the lid of the loo.
The drains from the sinks and shower are all treated with CilitBang and then flushed out with a strong bleach solution and the storage tank of the loo is thoroughly cleaned prior to storage and of course the drainage and storage tanks are left fully drained, flushed and treated.
All the seating is pulled well away from the walls and of course all the towelling, bedding and clothing have long since been removed.

As for the wheels and general underside, I normally quite liberally spray everywhere with a quite strong solution of Jeyes Fluid to deter those evil little mice that can otherwise decide to make nests in your engine compartment, spraying the tyres and wheels and all suspension points.

Phil

st3v3

Forum Member
How reliable do you find them? just asking as last year I bought the official Amazon Alexa Smart Plug and that has worked flawlessly. I thought it was dead handy and bought a triple pack of a smart plug of a different brand and they seem to lose connection occasionally and it is a right pain as a couple are tucked away in awkward places.

Just realised I also have a smart power strip (https://amzn.to/3kfOyjF) I bought in June and not used yet! I got it to use with Christmas Tree Lights but it has an app as well as being Alexa Compatible so I think I'll try this out :)
They've been rock solid. I have a 4pack of older other ones that 3 have been fine, 1 randomly ignores me lol. Sonoff relay boards also good

PeteS

Forum Member
I just drain down and leave it to itself, not had a problem in 10 yesrs.
Apart from lockdown when if I hadnt temporarily swapped out the lithium for lead acid I would have flattened the lithium, too cold for 15 days on the trot to charge.

PeteS

Forum Member

I use sockets that are controlled by the Smart Life App, same as the alarm you installed. Have proved uber reliable for me so much so that I have installed one on my Hive hub so that when we are away in Spain for 3 months I can reboot the heating when it gets unresponsive. I also have one on the security cameras. Never let me down

wildebus

Forum Member
Have you thought of these wildbus, i have some and fantastic job they are.View attachment 4771
Tried that or something similar in my workshop van and had very little effect :(
I think the mini freestanding rads are maybe best. Fan heaters are good for the directional features but wary about those unattended if the fan fails or they get nudged so no airflow (very much "safety first" for anything that is left to go on and off by itself).

Derekoak

Forum Member
As far as water systems in cold places. Our whole system is based on no plumbed in water 20 x 2l single use bottles tucked into inaccessible spaces many between the skins of the doblo. That saves the space taken by a water tank. The single use bottles have lasted 5 years so far with 1 loss, when outside the camper. That lasts us about 5 days
The 4 for next use are in the middle of the habitation, so they have time to thaw. When it might freeze we do not fill them quite full, but they stretch quite bit when frozen.
We do have a sink and a waste pipe. That helps keep doors shut when it is midgy.
The bottles can be filled from almost any source. Carried in a rucksack to a spring, a river or a tap.
We are not so far from tent camping as some! Not surprising as we often go off with our tent from the camper.
Note it is bloody cold in Murcia today. Not freezing but a strong cold wind. We need our propex.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)