Furniture board

Bully

Forum Member
Thanks for advice re additional seating - got that sorted now.
Looking to buy the 15 mm lightweight furniture board. Some descriptions say foil, some vinyl, some laminated sides. Need 6 sheets of 8 by 4 and not sure which is best. On a budget, too, so not aiming for the fanciest campervan, but obvs the best I can do. Any advice please. I am in Derbyshire.

wildebus

Forum Member
There is a chap - Rickvanman - I have watched on Youtube for years and he recently totally remade his Renault Master Campervan interior with furniture board, tambour doors, rounded corner pieces, sticky-backed laminate, etc and I reckon the finish he has achieved looks really super and very achievable for a non-carpenter such as myself.
It may not be to your own taste but there could be some ideas that might be useful?

This is the video that might be of initial interest

If you want to see the whole 2022 revamp series, goto this link - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLSYWfVub7GnCgxWRMqxmzAdsrKUSEBW8E - and watch from video #15.

Bully

Forum Member
Thanks - have watched one. It’s interesting. Not actually seen the furniture one yet, but well worth a look in general.

Sprinter 1 cup

Forum Member
1st van build.
For the price of this light weight 15mm x 8 x4 to much waste, in my opinion. It needs to be 8 x 6 to be cost effective.
So my walls are 5mm hardwood ply for me. covered in fabric. my ceiling is also coverd by fabric 5m x 105cm x3mm very soft to bang head against on. lol

This vinyl stuff is worth looking at as you can get some printed with names or photo. !.
But its, cold to the touch in van I think.. but easy clean if you have grubby hands.

Any photo's of them fitted seat's yet!

Bully

Forum Member
1st van build.
For the price of this light weight 15mm x 8 x4 to much waste, in my opinion. It needs to be 8 x 6 to be cost effective.
So my walls are 5mm hardwood ply for me. covered in fabric. my ceiling is also coverd by fabric 5m x 105cm x3mm very soft to bang head against on. lol

This vinyl stuff is worth looking at as you can get some printed with names or photo. !.
But its, cold to the touch in van I think.. but easy clean if you have grubby hands.

Any photo's of them fitted seat's yet!

Pudsey Bear

Forum Member
I got mine from a place in Rotherham, cheapest I could find, paper faced so I sprayed them with satin clear lacquer, tough as nails once dry.

Knollbeck caravans 01226753956, no idea if they are still going, Craig was the man back then.

Bully

Forum Member
Thank you for this. Just ordered Chambord Oak from Magmum Motorhomes. It’s £110 per board - cheapest we could find. Also Thetford toilet and Smev 9722 kit - sink and 2 burner hob and corner pieces for board. With delivery just over £1600. Hope the layout we’ve planned works.

wildebus

Forum Member
Wow! £110 per board! Better make sure you have good saw blades and a good eye for a straight line :)

Squiffy

Forum Member
On my last build I used 7 boards 8x4 or rather 2400x1250mm furniture board from Wicks it cost at least a third less than the so called lightweight furniture board from motorhome suppliers and quite honestly was very little extra weight, it is 15mm thickness so all the usual trims and corner pieces fit and looks the part, as can be seen in my post Sis-In-laws build. Phil.😁

Bully

Forum Member
On my last build I used 7 boards 8x4 or rather 2400x1250mm furniture board from Wicks it cost at least a third less than the so called lightweight furniture board from motorhome suppliers and quite honestly was very little extra weight, it is 15mm thickness so all the usual trims and corner pieces fit and looks the part, as can be seen in my post Sis-In-laws build. Phil.😁
It looks good, Phil

Pudsey Bear

Forum Member
That surprises me Phil, I think I posted at the time that mine weighed in at a massive 3,400 of yer finest Kilogrammes, but that was fully loaded with fuels water food me & Liz

And I used as much lightweight stuff as possible.

Squiffy

Forum Member
That surprises me Phil, I think I posted at the time that mine weighed in at a massive 3,400 of yer finest Kilogrammes, but that was fully loaded with fuels water food me & Liz

And I used as much lightweight stuff as possible.
Actually Pudsey I got the board sizes wrong on my previous post it should have read 1200x600x15mm and ofcourse not all of the boards were used the total would have been 112kg but there must have been atleast an 1/8th wastage which brings the total furniture board weight to 98kg, as she travels alone the extra weight of Wicks furniture board is well worth the cost savings. Though I would have to admit that for couples or young families the extra weight could be a problem. 🤔 Phil.

P.s. The other saving on weight is that she has a porta potty and no heavy Truma heating, I fitted a Chinese diesel heater and she boils a kettle for hot water.

Millie Master

Forum Member
My lightweight build has proven to be as good and strong now as when I originally finished it back in 2015, it also cost me next to nothing in real terms to produce and it is as strong as the proverbial Ox!

I built a total frame work out of 25 x 50 roofing lats with all the joints being easy to cut and construct, lap joints. then when the entire structure was finished I then faced every section with lightweight 3mm oak faced ply, bonding it into place with Stixall. On larger panel sections I flush fitted to the reverse side 25mm thick Cellotex, bonding it yet again into place with Stixall. These larger panels have proved not only to be warp resistant but also amazingly strong.

All finished off with a few coats of water based satin varnish.

As for the items such as room heater and water heater, I hunted around for weeks and was able to find brand new, still boxed Propex heater and a Henry water heater, buying them both for an inclusive price of under £200!

Phil

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)