DVLA change of body type

JackieA

Forum Member
DVLA are determined to deny any application from me. My former Renault Trafic fitted the old regulations and published details at the time but they stopped taking applications before declaring the new criteria.

Just checked the current position and discover that my body type for the Renault Master won't be considered as it is described as a minibus! Not ,however such a disaster - am prepared to put up with the speed limiter and if I save the cost of removal of the wheel chair lift (it could be useful anyway as I run exercise sessions for disabled people twice per week) I can continue to use the taxation class with an annual rate of £0.00.

RV2MAX

Forum Member
You are included to change body type @JackieA
Current body type shown on your V5C registration certificate (log book)

DVLA will only consider changing the body type to motor caravan if the body type shown on your V5C registration certificate (log book) is currently one of the following:

• ambulance
  • box van
  • goods
  • insulated van
  • light goods
  • light van
  • livestock carrier
  • Luton van
  • minibus < HERE :)
  • MPV (multi-purpose vehicle)
  • panel van
  • specially fitted van
  • special mobile unit

JackieA

Forum Member
Damn - had just looked at a page of print out after running out of paper. Wonder if I can change the body type but not the tax? As said I do provide facilities including wheel chair carrying tricycles.

RV2MAX

Forum Member
You probably wont get motorcaravan as body type , more likely they will change body to van with windows . Your usage will define what mot you need (Class 4 if the interior meets all the requirements of motorcaravan ) This also defines what taxation you need to pay , not the body type (appearance) . Be careful what taxation class you pay , as there are quite severe penalties for not paying the correct amount . :)

Nabsim

Forum Member
A disabled person can get free vehicle excise (tax) on one vehicle, I used to do whatever was most expensive out of what I owned at the time and vehicle gets registered as disabled class Not sure how you go on with disabled classification if you aren’t actually disabled. People I know who have bought such a vehicle got until expiry then had to reclassify. I think if you can’t find the info on gov.U.K. It may be better to speak to someone who actually does it (care home, council welfare team etc.)
Be careful of running anything registered as disabled if your aren’t as there can be very big fines 👍

Red Dwarf

Forum Member
Someone on another forum was rejected, applied ‘camper van’ sticker to the back door with some additional graphics and was passed... I think that maybe doing the obvious may help, a large sticker with ‘camper van’ or ‘motorhome’ takes away any doubt?

Nabsim

Forum Member
Someone on another forum was rejected, applied ‘camper van’ sticker to the back door with some additional graphics and was passed... I think that maybe doing the obvious may help, a large sticker with ‘camper van’ or ‘motorhome’ takes away any doubt?
Is that fact that you know of? Reason I ask is I was watching some YouTube videos of a professional conversion company and they said at the moment they cannot get the classification, just van with windows. As per usual though I can’t remember who it was

st3v3

Forum Member
and if I save the cost of removal of the wheel chair lift (it could be useful anyway as I run exercise sessions for disabled people twice per week) I can continue to use the taxation class with an annual rate of £0.00.

That wouldn't be correct.

Using the vehicle in the disabled tax class

The vehicle must either be used by the disabled person or someone who only uses their vehicle to help them, for example, to get prescriptions or go shopping for the disabled person.

As you use it for other purposes, you need to pay road tax.

ins216-how-to-apply-for-free-disabled-tax.pdf (publishing.service.gov.uk)

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)