Driving in EU, do I need to tell my insurer when and where?

EricW

Forum Member
I'll be off for several weeks to Spain and Portugal from the UK in a few weeks time. I've being doing this a few years and never informed my insurer up until my last trip at end of 2023. The only reason I did last time was because, when I contacted my insurer (Adrian Flux) about renewal, I said during the conversation that was I about to go away. Then they wanted to know where, when and for how long so they could issue a "Foreign Use Confirmation cover letter". This is a pain as I don't have fixed start and end dates, or necessarily a fixed plan for the countries I'll visit.

Do I really have to do inform them ? My insurance certificate says it "takes the place of an International Motor Insurance Card (Green Card) and is evidence that the insurance extends to include the compulsory motor insurance requirements of: etc" so I can't see it's needed. I haven't found anything in my documentation that says it's a requirement". I'm confused.

Millie Master

Forum Member
It is my understanding that since Brexit you do need to advise your insurer and obtain a green card from them.

Up until Brexit we had spent large amounts of time touring throughout Europe along with our dogs, however since the splitting of the ways and due to the astronomic costs associated with taking dogs with you now we have steadfastly remained in the UK! Sad as that might be.

Phil

ps. Our other reason for now remaining in the UK is that I can no longer get travel medical insurance at anything like affordable rates!

Squiffy

Forum Member
I think you'll find that it depends on your original policy I.e. some insurance gives you automatic European cover for 90 days but others say you have to inform them if you intend to travel abroad and may or may not charge an extra premium to do so.
Our insurance I always make sure we have the 90 day European cover. Phil