Distribution Board

SquirrellCook

Forum Member
Why are you using 4 MPPT controllers @SquirrellCook ?

Cheers
I’ve been waiting for someone to ask. With the furniture I have on my roof panel performance can be compromised. The panels are arranged in three groups. The hope is that a poor performing set won’t compromise the others. The fourth controller is for winter harvesting with portable panels. Fortunately victron have got their act together and the mppt’s work in harmony.

MarkJ

Forum Member
I think the Multiplus manual sets out that you need ventilation clearance top and bottom. Can't find the figure instantly, but I think they say 100mm?

wildebus

Forum Member
I’ve been waiting for someone to ask. With the furniture I have on my roof panel performance can be compromised. The panels are arranged in three groups. The hope is that a poor performing set won’t compromise the others. The fourth controller is for winter harvesting with portable panels. Fortunately victron have got their act together and the mppt’s work in harmony.
What method are you using for Temperature charge compensation?
Asking as the "normal" way would be to use the Smart Battery Sense and the Victron Smart Network via bluetooth, but if you are running a Venus OS system (such as a Raspberry Pi) and you install a Multiplus, you can use the wired Temp Sensor on the MP, and the voltage info on the BMV and have that sent to the MPPTs instead. Called STS and SVS (Smart Temp Sense and Smart Voltage Sense), but it will not co-exist with the Bluetooth SBS data.

SquirrellCook

Forum Member
I think the Multiplus manual sets out that you need ventilation clearance top and bottom. Can't find the figure instantly, but I think they say 100mm?
Again I thank you for your concern, and it will get worse when the distribution board get boxed and doored. Even the Multiplus is overspec'd for my use. I'm hoping any warmth will create an up draft and self cool. I worked on a similar setup many years ago after the Falkland's war. We had to make fanless smoke extraction systems for the aluminium frigates. Unfortunately it was discovered that exocettes caught them on fire. Most of the deaths were due to smoke inhalation. We'll see what happens and adjust/redesign as gremlins pop out to say hello.

SquirrellCook

Forum Member
What method are you using for Temperature charge compensation?
Asking as the "normal" way would be to use the Smart Battery Sense and the Victron Smart Network via bluetooth, but if you are running a Venus OS system (such as a Raspberry Pi) and you install a Multiplus, you can use the wired Temp Sensor on the MP, and the voltage info on the BMV and have that sent to the MPPTs instead. Called STS and SVS (Smart Temp Sense and Smart Voltage Sense), but it will not co-exist with the Bluetooth SBS data.
If I loose the Bluetooth connection between the MPPT's, will that stop them playing nicely? Using the Multiplus temperature sensor will allows it's charger to compensate? I'm not so worried about the MPPT's as the Solar has to go to bed at some point, then the batteries get to rest if the vehicle is not in use.

wildebus

Forum Member
the MP Temp Sensor will work for the mains charging, yes. using STS and SVS would just mean other connected devices wouldn't need an additional sensor like an Bluetooth SBS.

Good question on the Synchronising of the MPPT. I don't know for sure, but I would expect you wouldn't loose that feature. Considering how long it took Victron to enable it I would sure hope they programmed it to work with all the options.

wildebus

Forum Member
Again I thank you for your concern, and it will get worse when the distribution board get boxed and doored. Even the Multiplus is overspec'd for my use. I'm hoping any warmth will create an up draft and self cool. I worked on a similar setup many years ago after the Falkland's war. We had to make fanless smoke extraction systems for the aluminium frigates. Unfortunately it was discovered that exocettes caught them on fire. Most of the deaths were due to smoke inhalation. We'll see what happens and adjust/redesign as gremlins pop out to say hello.
The way the compact multipluses tend to be designed, there is an automatic airgap between the ventilation 'input' area at the bottom and the frame. This is mostly to allow the pretty chunky cables to route but either by design or not, it means a gap is present which seems pretty decent.

wildebus

Forum Member
I was planning on having the 1600VA version of this.

This is something you might want to check .....
Victron have done some revisions to those new Plastic cased Multipluses. I don't know the full details behind it, but I think they have changed some of the cabling recommendations feeding them.
On the Multiplus 1200, they are supplying a couple of adapters that go into the +ve and -ve connectors on the Multiplus, and that will accept larger cables (which otherwise would not fit). This has increased the length of the Multiplus (maybe an extra 25mm?). I don't know if this is being done on the 1600VA model, or if it is done on the 24V model (which can use smaller cables of course) but if your enclosure is tight on space and the area you have reserved for the multiplus relies on the quoted dimension, could be worth checking?
I can't find the info right now, but IIRC, the printed manual has been updated with this change, but the on-line manual has not, so can't rely on that. I was told about this around the middle of August this year.

I would think a question on the Victron Community might get the info about this?

SquirrellCook

Forum Member
This is something you might want to check .....
Victron have done some revisions to those new Plastic cased Multipluses. I don't know the full details behind it, but I think they have changed some of the cabling recommendations feeding them.
On the Multiplus 1200, they are supplying a couple of adapters that go into the +ve and -ve connectors on the Multiplus, and that will accept larger cables (which otherwise would not fit). This has increased the length of the Multiplus (maybe an extra 25mm?). I don't know if this is being done on the 1600VA model, or if it is done on the 24V model (which can use smaller cables of course) but if your enclosure is tight on space and the area you have reserved for the multiplus relies on the quoted dimension, could be worth checking?
I can't find the info right now, but IIRC, the printed manual has been updated with this change, but the on-line manual has not, so can't rely on that. I was told about this around the middle of August this year.

I would think a question on the Victron Community might get the info about this?
Thanks for mentioning this David, but I guess however long it is I'll have to deal with it. Hence I haven't trimmed any supply wires so far. Phew!

SquirrellCook

Forum Member
Hoping to add to this mess I was expecting a 12 volt fused distribution box turn up this week. Yodel claims to have attempted two deliveries, and on the second attempt claim that they were told we’ve moved! Vehicles still in our yard? So the box is being returned to China! This is the second attempt at buying one of these :( Anita is having a go at a third attempt.

C5568024-2270-4D5E-BC5D-AB7F75CF5C55.jpeg

Alec

Forum Member
This is the 12 volt fused ditribution unit I have used from ebay no. 221166230726

Alec.

SquirrellCook

Forum Member
Hoping to add to this mess I was expecting a 12 volt fused distribution box turn up this week. Yodel claims to have attempted two deliveries, and on the second attempt claim that they were told we’ve moved! Vehicles still in our yard? So the box is being returned to China! This is the second attempt at buying one of these :( Anita is having a go at a third attempt.
Anita failed as well. Different seller, but still using Yodel. Yodel haven't even attempted a delivery, so being sent back to China!

SquirrellCook

Forum Member
Finally at a higher price via amazon the 12 way fuse holder came. Now able to power both maxxfans. I bit more work required and I can test the cooker and shower fans.

IMG_0286[1].JPG

wildebus

Forum Member
Looking good there (y)

As an aside, that photo shows something many people don't realise about Victron kit .... how it varies in size depending on the power of it :) Because so many of the cases have a common style and design, when you see them on their own in a photo, they all seem to be the same size. It's only when you see different ones together you pick up on the fact that they are all different sizes and some are significantly larger than others!
That DC-DC converter is a lot smaller than the 100/15 MPPTs - and those 100/15 MPPTs are a lot smaller than the higher current MPPTs

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)