Diesel Heater On All Night

StreetSleeper

Forum Member
The last 2 times we have been away I have kept the diesel heater on all night, in the morning I have woken up and not felt so good: is it a coincidence or do you think it's the heater running all night when we are asleep? Next time we stay out I am going to set the timer to come on at 7 and off at 9 and see if that makes a difference. Has anybody had the same experience?

Rae

mistericeman

Forum Member
Never had an issue personally (we run ours 24/7 when away in winter)
HOWEVER its perfectly possible to have a exhaust leak from either the exhaust/or combustion chamber and/or experience combustion gasses getting into the living space due to poor installation.

Worth checking with a Carbon monoxide detector.

Better safe than waking up dead ;-)

StreetSleeper

Forum Member
Worth checking with a Carbon monoxide detector.

Better safe than waking up dead ;-)

My carbon monoxide detector is up-to-date and isn't beeping so I would presume the batteries are not flat.
Below we have a picture of the exhaust. All joints were clamped together using quality clips and not the ones that were provided.

DSCN5194.JPG

Rae

wildebus

Forum Member
The reason could be if there is a slight wind in the wrong direction, you might be getting the output blown back towards the fresh air intake? the 'sucking' effect of the combustion could even be potentially drawing the exhaust output into the air intake?
I don't know what the composition of the exhaust fumes would be, but maybe something other then Carbon Monoxide that could be unpleasant to breath?

StreetSleeper

Forum Member
Hello David,
The intake is just behind the driver’s seat, the intake for the burner is under the floor, just behind the cab.

Rae

Bigshug

Forum Member
Could it not be a consequence of the air in the van being dry that affects you? Maybe try a bowl of water in front of the heater vent to see if that helps

SquirrellCook

Forum Member
We turn our heater down by about 5 deg C at night as we find it more comfortable to sleep cooler. So if not exhaust gas leaking in, maybe just dry air?

Squiffy

Forum Member
My carbon monoxide detector is up-to-date and isn't beeping so I would presume the batteries are not flat.
Below we have a picture of the exhaust. All joints were clamped together using quality clips and not the ones that were provided.

View attachment 3197

Rae
Having it running all night, I personally found that I didn't feel that I had had a good sleep and was not feeling great on waking up, so I very quickly turned to the timer and had it coming on at about 7 o'clock am and turning off at 11 am, set to usually about 19deg we immediately felt better in the mornings. We have a Truma 4 so is run on gas with a carbon monoxide alarm and smoke alarm combined up close to the ceiling. I would suggest that your van becomes hotter than you need once you are in bed with the covers over you, plus the air probably becomes very dry with the heater constantly cutting in and out. Phil

wildebus

Forum Member
I use the overcab bed in my Motorhome and the temp difference between floor level and roof level is amazing! still not got the temp balance sorted but will get there.
I found in the camper (with the Chinese heater) it would be a matter of turning off at bed time and back on via the remote early morning (but I did use an electric blanket for most of the night though - excellent use of battery power IMHO :D )

Last edited:

StreetSleeper

Forum Member
I would like to take this opportunity to thank everyone for their input. I never really thought it was carbon monoxide building up in the van as I was very careful when fitting all the pipework and making sure the joints were tightly fitted. The main reason for asking the question was had anybody else suffered the symptoms of dry air; which, looking back, perhaps I should have asked in the beginning. I've read everyone's replies and what I intend to do is run the system on the timer: timer will come on at 7am and turn itself off at 9am; If I need it longer I can always manually turn it on.
For me, the conclusion I've come to is that dry air was the problem, next time I'm out I shall do as I've mentioned above and I will report on my findings.

Debs

Forum Member
Must admit Rae, I never sleep with heat on, I have done in the past but always felt a little off in the morning. So now in the morning out of bed, turn heater on, back into bed and enjoy the warming of of the van, then get up for the first coffee of the day. The simple pleasures of van life. :giggle:

StreetSleeper

Forum Member
I have done in the past but always felt a little off in the morning.

Thanks for getting back on this one it is so reassuring that it's not just me. The only heating we had before in our previous vans was one ring or two and the heating in this van the fan didn't work properly so we are quite new to this warm van game but are getting used to it very quickly.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)