Damn, so sorry honey

Tookey

Forum Member
If you use the WC forum its likely you know my wife spent many hours painting our van recently. Well over the weekend I did this.....

20201003_134018.jpg

Last edited:

Tookey

Forum Member
I have stripped out the shower which isn't so bad as it needed doing. Will be cutting through a board this week which should give me good access to the damage. I am surprised that the base of the ladder only had pop rivets. I will post a picture from the inside when I've created the access hole and then will be asking about how to strengthen the fibre glass repair.

I felt so bad :(

Tookey

Forum Member
Bad luck indeed, hope she was not to upset.
Ty, but not bad luck tbh, completely my fault. She is a bit gutted but has got over it and is now pointing out that I will now have a better idea how to fit Jerry can holders and now cant procrastinate with the shower any longer as there isn't one anymore! I am a lucky chap

Millie Master

Forum Member
Do you actually use the ladder and if so, surely by looking at where it is mounted that is one exceptionally questionable position for a significant load bearing item, as this is the case, would it be possible for you to plate the area or even have the ladder extended so that it can be attached to something that is good and strong...................... oh and whilst you are bout it, why not buy yourself a reversing camera.

Phil

Tookey

Forum Member
I
Do you actually use the ladder and if so, surely by looking at where it is mounted that is one exceptionally questionable position for a significant load bearing item, as this is the case, would it be possible for you to plate the area or even have the ladder extended so that it can be attached to something that is good and strong...................... oh and whilst you are bout it, why not buy yourself a reversing camera.

Phil
I want to keep the ladder, I have a ceiling vent cover, flue and will have a PV panel up there and could well be in a situation where ladders are not available. Ladder extension is an idea but the closest solid point is under the lip of the body and the 18 inches back to the chassis.

Squiffy

Forum Member

Phil
With respect Phil, the main stress on something like that is downwards not in its like hanging a heavy picture the force is down the wall not outwards or in this case inwards. I suspect that it has been fine for a number of years but the force of reversing into a solid object was too much for the mounting area to take🙃 though I agree with the purchase of a reversing camera any damage I've ever done has been when reversing. Phil

wildebus

Forum Member
That is a shame. Aand bad luck that the obstable was not just a few inches higher and the ladder would have been a bumper!

The good thing with your paint finish is once the repair is done and the area repainted, no one will ever know as it can be blended in.

Tookey

Forum Member
That is a shame. Aand bad luck that the obstable was not just a few inches higher and the ladder would have been a bumper!

The good thing with your paint finish is once the repair is done and the area repainted, no one will ever know as it can be blended in.
The ladder was the bumper but the energy release point was the fixing point

Millie Master

Forum Member
Much to my dismay I fitted a reversing camera to 'Millie' late last year as it was the only way my most beloved would consider driving her.

As I had sworn I would never need or use one, now it is quite amazing how often I actually am using it!

Mind you my most beloved still hasn't driven 'Millie', so that hurdle still has to be crossed.

Phil

Tookey

Forum Member
Did you have to wait very long in A&E......:eek::LOL::ROFLMAO:
A bit of silence on the rest of the drive and me saying sorry repeatedly and then forgotten. I am very fortunate

At a junction we passed a motorcyclist lying motionless on the floor with several cars stopped and a lady covering him with a blanket (not over his head).....put our troubles into perspective very quickly :confused:

Nabsim

Forum Member
Should be an easy fix once you can get to the inside. Bonus really that you had other job to do in that area, mitigates the pain a little. My van has no vision to the rear except side mirrors and reversing camera but the camera makes it so easy to back up to things without contact. Mine is a down facing camera

Debs

Forum Member
Should be an easy fix once you can get to the inside. Bonus really that you had other job to do in that area, mitigates the pain a little. My van has no vision to the rear except side mirrors and reversing camera but the camera makes it so easy to back up to things without contact. Mine is a down facing camera
On this van I now have, it came with reversing camera, although I did have to replace the camera part. Reversing has never been so easy, I can reverse up to within a fag paper of the obstruction, which has caused a look of panic on some peoples faces. :devilish:

mistericeman

Forum Member
I fitted one of these....

Not the cheapest,
BUT works well and with the storage box on the scooter rack at the rear makes reversing a lot easier.

20200926_182732.jpg

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)