campervan change application

Squiffy

Forum Member
No. need physical (posted paper) application with printed photos
Good luck with doing that though, it's now in the seventh month of them trying to sort out my Grandfather rights licence after they said they had lost the application in their system. I was phoned by a leader in their open case team on 5 Jan to say they had sorted it out and my license with my grandfather rights will be issued shortly, that was four weeks ago 😡. Phil

MarkJ

Forum Member
No. need physical (posted paper) application with printed photos
Good luck with it. It seems to be random whether a seemingly valid application is approved, with the likelihood running at just 5% (if recent past performance is a guide!). People have tried scrappy applications, immensely detailed applications, 10 pictures, 50 pictures.... it just doesn't seem to make much difference.

wildebus

Forum Member
Didn't reply with the viability of success of the change or timescales experienced, just answering the question asked.

activecampers

Forum Member
Good luck with it. It seems to be random whether a seemingly valid application is approved, with the likelihood running at just 5% (if recent past performance is a guide!). People have tried scrappy applications, immensely detailed applications, 10 pictures, 50 pictures.... it just doesn't seem to make much difference.

I had 3 failed attempts with various methods of documentation. Detailed with printed photos and letter. Brief with basic photos. And finally 1 page per requirement full of photos/details printed out.
*be aware* they scan them in, I have been told when I called to email the photos again as they were scanned in low quality B&W which for a black van isn't great

Usual reasons for rejection "needs to look like a campervan in traffic"

1 failed complaint - and no comment on why they approved 10x other same model vans in the same period with less features
1 failed complaint to exec office, again no comment on comparable passes.
*be aware* this process is simple, but the website only allows 1x PDF uploaded, so you need to combine all docs in 1x PDF, and the space for a letter times out quickly so copy n paste from another app.

(passes examples include vans with bonded windows, no awning, blank rear doors, average graphics etc)
They do say "they are guidelines only, even if you tick every box we may not pass it, and we may pass some without all boxes ticked". And "our decision is final". etc.

IMO if there is a process, it should be black n white, well written, and you pass/fail and get told why you fail and given examples that would pass. But there isn't, its down to an individuals opinion which, to me, is not right. I am aware of a company making the "same" vans, some pass, some fail. I am aware of a van that failed, got sold on, new owner tried and succeeded. The inconsistency is annoying.

One letter to MP asking them for help, and they contacted DVLA asking for my application to be investigated and explain why it had not passed. **they did not ask them to change it - just investigate and give a report back**

Hey presto, new motorcaravan v5, letter from dvla
I am sorry Mr ActiveCampers has been unhappy with the previous responses we have issued. I have arranged for Mr ActiveCampers case to be reviewed by our motor home panel and I am happy to inform him that on this occasion we have reconsidered his application and we have agreed to change the body type of his vehicle to ‘motor home/caravan’.
Please accept my apologies that Mr ActiveCampers has had to contact you to get the body type amended correctly. I trust that my reply is satisfactory, and we can bring this issue to a close.

The MP was just sent a nice letter, and copies of the rejection, and copies of a detailed application and pictures of vans they passed. No hassle, easy to do.

Millie Master

Forum Member
I went totally over the top with my application which I sent in duplicate (not necessary), I also used all my previous experience to submit 14 photographs with concise descriptions as to what each image was, these images also included some before and after shots. I also submitted as part of the perfectly bound submissions a complete costs spread sheet.

OK I did go totally OTT, but I did receive an affirmative reply within 7 days staring that my application had been successful.

As I have written on these pages in the past, I used further copies of this document to achieve an agreed valuation.

It is a pain in the assiender to produce a document that reflects the fact that you are serious about what you are doing, but in my case, it worked.

wildebus

Forum Member
However .... You submitted your request at a time when DVLA would do reclassifications. Different world now.

activecampers

Forum Member
However .... You submitted your request at a time when DVLA would do reclassifications. Different world now.

Who me?

I'm talking about last week. Unless things have changed since then

My first van got through 1st time in 2016.

This van, I first applied Jan 2021, again mid 2021, and again December 2021. Initiated complaints procedure December 2021, exec complaints procedure Jan/Feb 2022 and initiated MP procedure Feb 2022 and got reclassification March 2022.

activecampers

Forum Member
I went totally over the top with my application which I sent in duplicate (not necessary), I also used all my previous experience to submit 14 photographs with concise descriptions as to what each image was, these images also included some before and after shots. I also submitted as part of the perfectly bound submissions a complete costs spread sheet.

OK I did go totally OTT, but I did receive an affirmative reply within 7 days staring that my application had been successful.

As I have written on these pages in the past, I used further copies of this document to achieve an agreed valuation.

It is a pain in the assiender to produce a document that reflects the fact that you are serious about what you are doing, but in my case, it worked.
That does not matter
My first application I sent off 20+ photos and a detailed letter, that was rejected
Second application I sent off basic photos and basic letter, that was rejected
Third application I sent off 1x page of A4 per requirement, containing multiple photos and details, that was rejected.

Complaint I submitted same as 3rd application as well as examples of "identical" vans with less external features that were approved, that was rejected.

The complaints response never got any specific explanation

The complaint to MP contained same as the complaints to DVLA. The MP simply asked for an investigation and to explain their reasons. They came back approved.

The documentation did not change since attempt 3, the van didn't change since attempt 1. The only thing that changed was DVLA being forced to give a detailed reasoning for rejection which they decided not to do, and simply change body type correctly (in their words) and apologise.

95% "fail" now according to the latest stats I've seen, and DLVA incorrectly stating "our decision is final" with no refence to the agreed complaints procedure puts many off arguing.

The "internet" is full of "oh I did the documentation correct, its no problem if you do", or "you need caravan windows" or "you need front graphics" etc - but its all garbage. I collected examples of passes/fails over 2 years and there is no consistency. I have examples of bonded windows, nothing front/rear, no awning, and average graphics passing; and the same model van, same windows, looks like a camper, failing. etc. I know a company who converts vans, all look the same, some pass, some fail. I know someone who failed, failed complaints. Sold the van. New owner tried with no changes and it passed. I'm aware of 3 or 4 people who like me failed every step, complained to MP, and passed. Someone even complained to BBC Rip Off Brtiain and that resulted in a pass.

I'm not sure what the DVLA motive is - but consistency is all people want

wildebus

Forum Member
Who me?

I'm talking about last week. Unless things have changed since then

My first van got through 1st time in 2016.

This van, I first applied Jan 2021, again mid 2021, and again December 2021. Initiated complaints procedure December 2021, exec complaints procedure Jan/Feb 2022 and initiated MP procedure Feb 2022 and got reclassification March 2022.
No, not you

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)