Are remote gas solenoids worth it?

MarkJ

Forum Member
I have a bog ordinary orange gas cylinder in the garage and when I built the van I decided against having a remote solenoid. My habit is to turn the gas off at the cylinder when I'm driving and I feel comfortable that's safe. And I thought a remote solenoid was one more thing to go wrong, especially since they stay closed if you lose power. Plus the Truma one is £145.....

But I'm wondering whether it might be worth it, after a recent trip away when I forgot to turn the gas on when we pitched up and it was chucking it down when I went out at dinner time to turn it on.

What do other people do?

Millie Master

Forum Member
Apart from when using the Channel Tunnel, I always leave my gas cylinder connected, the only exception being whilst it is on SORN over the winter months.

Then prior to me using her in the spring, I turn on the gas and thoroughly leak test every single joint throughout the system.

wildebus

Forum Member
I think most people, rightly or wrongly, do the same as MM and just leave the gas on regardless of having a crash sensor on their regulator.

Squiffy

Forum Member
I have to admit that it's the same situation for me too, as I have an underslung tank which if I have to turn the gas off means crawling under the van and removing a protective aluminium cover to reach the knob which shuts down the gas. So as Millie does, mine is left on throughout the year. I am able to turn the gas off inside the van using an inline gas valve but the gas is ofcourse still open at the tank. Phil.

JIXAMAN

Forum Member
Ah leave mine off but do think its a pain in the arse on off on off... Ah didnt realise folks just left it on...

clarkpeacock

Forum Member
I have a bog ordinary orange gas cylinder in the garage and when I built the van I decided against having a remote solenoid. My habit is to turn the gas off at the cylinder when I'm driving and I feel comfortable that's safe. And I thought a remote solenoid was one more thing to go wrong, especially since they stay closed if you lose power. Plus the Truma one is £145.....

But I'm wondering whether it might be worth it, after a recent trip away when I forgot to turn the gas on when we pitched up and it was chucking it down when I went out at dinner time to turn it on.

What do other people do?
Also worth remembering that the solenoid coil does have a constant draw on the batteries when switched on. Not much, but mounts up over 24 hours a day if parked up for a while in poor solar charging times.

My last motorhome, Autosleeper Mirage, had a factory fitted LPG tank with solenoid valve, and it took me months to find the almost 1A parasitic draw caused by it - roughly 24Ah every day.

I replaced the coil with one of these https://www.derbyshire-refrigeratio...ting-magnets/solenoid-valve-operating-magnet/ which rather defeated the object of having it in the first place!

Forresbroons

Forum Member
Our set up is similar to what Squiffy describes above and operate it in the same way. I’ve never thought there was anything wrong with this, as it seems that is the way the system was designed. MarkJ do you have a gas manifold fitted inside your van that maybe could be used to isolate the gas while you’re travelling. (Just a thought).

MarkJ

Forum Member
Thanks for the replies, all. I think I'll save my £145....though I might investigate gas alarms again. I have a CO2 alarm, but not a gas one.

do you have a gas manifold fitted inside your van
Well, yes, I do. But in my case there's a long-ish run of pipe from the cylinder at the back to the manifold under the sink. So there's quite a lot of exposed pipe in the event of a crash.

almost 1A parasitic draw
That's a lot. The Truma one claims 40mA, but that might be optimistic.

thoroughly leak test every single joint
Out of curiosity, @Millie Master how do you do that? Do you just use a gas detector on every joint? Or the bubble stuff? I know a couple of people have fitted the boat leak detector, like this one

And you know what - I now remember I fitted one of these, but I've completely forgotten about it! Wonder what else I've fitted and forgotten?

Pudsey Bear

Forum Member
Always leave it on until I have to change a bottle, my reg has a valve on it too, but I only use that to stop gas falling out of it when changing bottles.

Duckato

Forum Member
Mines always turned off at the valve when driving, pure common sense really, last thing I would ever want to do is provide a fuel source or worse,kill or maim a fireman if the van was in an accident that led to a fire irrespective of how remote that might be.

However once parked up is stays on permanently.

Ironically on closing the gas locker door earlier this week I did somehow manage to skin one of my knuckles, so even turning the gas off has risks ;)

Sprinter 1 cup

Forum Member
Disconnected at bottal/ cylinder by hand.. In the new van not needed ! but the old vans left on unless in storage bambi 1988 still connected as ive lost 5kg spanner. if I remembered right. Ill go and look ?
Thanks ive removed orange pipe too.

So mines all good.

Attachments

• 1679233213518-1566310383.jpg
    1679233213518-1566310383.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 74

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)