another what van

stevethewelder

I'm planning on getting another van to convert, want to travel around Europe for a bit so looking for a large van, want something reliable and not a rust bucket, got a budget of 5000 euro for van, seen a couple of fiat ducatos, and Iveco dailys that look like they fit the bill but don't know much about these vans, also merc sprinter but these seem to rust in front of your eyes. Any one any advice, or any other vans to add to list, thanks

mark61

Forum Member
Renault Master worth adding to list. I think it's more important looking for a nice tidy vehicle, hopefully with maintenance record, then a particular model. Saying that, I look at Sprinters first. :)

n brown

Forum Member
the sevel vans , fiat,citroen, peugeot,have one advantage, their width could allow for a fixed transverse bed with large storage under if you want

Rob H

another what van.

I'm planning on getting another van to convert, want to travel around Europe for a bit so looking for a large van, want something reliable and not a rust bucket, got a budget of 5000 euro for van, seen a couple of fiat ducatos, and Iveco dailys that look like they fit the bill but don't know much about these vans, also merc sprinter but these seem to rust in front of your eyes. Any one any advice, or any other vans to add to list, thanks

Suggest check out VW Crafter, if, similar construction to the Hanover built Transporter range, will come into the factory press shop as galvanised rolls of sheet steel. So pretty robust structurally as a base vehicle for your adventures.

Rgrds,

Rob H.

hextal

All of the vans have their own issues, some relate more to bodywork/corrosion, others more to do with engines/gearboxes.

As has been said, just get yourself one that has been looked after. Check the service history etc. I got a printout of everything that had been done on the van, it was all done at a Vauxhall garage so I phoned them and got it confirmed too.

Just give if a good look over/under and a decent drive.

Darcar

Forum Member
We did the same.

We are doing the same as you I spent ages looking for the right van..
Our wish list was ... Wide enough to have a fixed bed across the back, full head room, we only want 2 birth but want a full shower with toilet, full size cooker, full size kitchen sink. Large fridge & enough storage for an extended tour.
I also wanted rear wheel drive, & under 100,000 miles & under 5k.
In the end it was a toss up between the iveco & the Mercedes vario. We found a 2004 vario van in good condition with 60,000 miles on , and am very happy with it.
The mpg isn't great but it's a trade off with size.
Hope this helps a little.
Darren..

roughinit

If you get a van that's in good nick and been well serviced you can't go wrong. In September I bought a lwb merc sprinter 02reg with 55000mls excellent condition and rust free ex social services minibus. Big enough for a superking size fixed bed etc. I can't fault it and hopefully it will last for years.

trevskoda

Forum Member
Go for a older iveco with a inline engine rear wheel drive ,these are easy to work on should it require a clutch etc.

listerdiesel

We bought a 614D Vario minibus, it's a truck underneath with a van body.

Spares aren't bad, lots of them being broken as the small bus companies renew their fleets due to emission regulations.

They were made up until 2013 so new spares are easily available, and Mercedes prices aren't too outrageous.

We have picked up a lot of new and used parts on ebay.

It's probably the biggest and widest panel van on the market.

Peter

Buzzy Beans

Suggest check out VW Crafter, if, similar construction to the Hanover built Transporter range, will come into the factory press shop as galvanised rolls of sheet steel. So pretty robust structurally as a base vehicle for your adventures.

Rgrds,

Rob H.

Are you absolutely certain that the VW Crafter has a fully galvanised body?

I thought they were built on the very same production line as the (rust away as soon as the van leaves the factory) Mercedes Sprinter, although someone on another forum has suggested that the Crafter is now fully galvanised.

Brilliant vans with cast iron mechanicals.

listerdiesel

I have to say that vehicles (All makes) that are looked after, washed and cleaned regularly, do last well, I've seen plenty of horror stories out there, as we all have, but plenty of clean ones too.

Our Mercedes was undersealed from the factory, that was in 1999, so they shouldn't be that bad. It's the unloved ones that suffer and rust the most.

Peter

Buzzy Beans

I have to say that vehicles (All makes) that are looked after, washed and cleaned regularly, do last well, I've seen plenty of horror stories out there, as we all have, but plenty of clean ones too.

Our Mercedes was undersealed from the factory, that was in 1999, so they shouldn't be that bad. It's the unloved ones that suffer and rust the most.

Peter

I believe that to have underseal on a Sprinter you had to and still have to pay extra for it, if that is so that is a very bad situation indeed!!

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)