1000w inverter

Poppy

A 1000w power inverter for £35 new....good or not good?? by Skytronic

Last edited:

DTDog

Sounds tooooo cheap to me?

Don't get me wrong I love a bargain, but I would expect to pay £100 + for that size.

Check if it is square wave, modified sine wave or pure sine. If its modified or pure then go for it. Square wave you have to be careful what you run through it.

Poppy

Sounds tooooo cheap to me?

Don't get me wrong I love a bargain, but I would expect to pay £100 + for that size.

Check if it is square wave, modified sine wave or pure sine. If its modified or pure then go for it. Square wave you have to be careful what you run through it.

I can't see which one of those it's saying, it's from caravan solutions......As for what I'd be running off it, I'm not totally sure, as I'm just started to convert van. But in all the electrical diagrams its showing an inverter.

Poppy

It seems good , where is it from and what do you plan to run off it?

I can't see which one of those it's saying, it's from caravan solutions......As for what I'd be running off it, I'm not totally sure, as I'm just started to convert van. But in all the electrical diagrams its showing an inverter.

Poppy

why doesn't anyone do a 'starter kit' :( it would make life for people like me, soooooo much better :dance:

sparrks

What do you plan on using that requires an inverter?

Have you a link to the one you mentioned?

Chris K5

Forget it, not good enough for sensitive electrical equipment like laptops etc.

Poppy

What do you plan on using that requires an inverter?

Have you a link to the one you mentioned?

I thought everything needed a converter, unless it was a dedicated 12v item!! I try to find the link but couldn't, its from 'caravan solutions' on their ebay shop page.

What things need a converted then??

Poppy

This one looks a good buy 2000W (4000W Peak) POWER INVERTER DC12V-AC240V WITH SOFT START, VOLTAGE DISPLAY | eBay

Don't forget though, you will be turning 12v in to 240v so depending on what you are trying to run you will need AT LEAST one good quality 110amp battery, preferably 2.

I run a 2000w inverter in my van, using it for a hair dryer etc. on a regular basis.

Nice one....thank you so much. One last question (for now)! Batteries, I was thinking of getting two, coz I'm planning on more 'wild' camping. Do, they HAVE to be the same Ah or can you get one 110 & something else? Or is it best to get like for? Also, is there an advantage to getting 'sealed' ones?

DTDog

Nice one....thank you so much. One last question (for now)! Batteries, I was thinking of getting two, coz I'm planning on more 'wild' camping. Do, they HAVE to be the same Ah or can you get one 110 & something else? Or is it best to get like for? Also, is there an advantage to getting 'sealed' ones?

Yes, I recommend two same amp hour batteries and joined as close together as possible with as thicker cable as you can (starter motor cable). This way you create 'one' large battery. Again, preferable bought at the same time and of the same make.

Spend the money now and enjoy hassle free wilding, rather than scrimping on cost and quality and then spending all the time worrying if you have enough power left to last the night.

On another subject, if you are starting from scratch on your build then look at LED lighting as another way of stretching your battery consumption.

Poppy

Yes, I recommend two same amp hour batteries and joined as close together as possible with as thicker cable as you can (starter motor cable). This way you create 'one' large battery. Again, preferable bought at the same time and of the same make.

Spend the money now and enjoy hassle free wilding, rather than scrimping on cost and quality and then spending all the time worrying if you have enough power left to last the night.

On another subject, if you are starting from scratch on your build then look at LED lighting as another way of stretching your battery consumption.

Thank you very much for the advice :D it's from scratch, will be picking van (convoy) up, once insurance policy comes through & I can get it taxed. So at the moment it's a shell...gonna find a sparky to do the connecting (I don't hav a clue..which I'm sure you've guest)!:lol-053:

sparrks

You need to get a list of all the 240v appliances that you intend to use and frequency of use (have you room for them all, are you going to be on hookup?). This will give you some idea as to size of inverter required. Then a list of consumption of 12v appliances , including lighting, Ah. This combined info will give an idea as to what size batteries needed.
The fewer 240v appliances and low 12v Ah the better. Although I don't use any, if you intend staying off hookup for as long as poss invest in some solar panels.

Last edited by a moderator:

mitzimad

invertors are not very efficent your better of running everything from 12 volt adaptors are available for most electrical items tvs can be run direct and 12v chargers are available for phones and tablets

ivecotrucker

My preference would be to forget the inverter and spend your money instead on a good "intelligent" i.e. 4 step mains to 12v charger - it will help greatly extend the life of your batteries. If fitting 2 x leisure batteries they don't have to be of the same size, you could mix an 80 Amp Hour (known as 80 Ah) with, for example, a 110 Ah but they ought really to be of the same type i.e. both wet open top (with removable filler caps) or both wet low maintenance (no screw filler caps) or AGM or whatever. Preferably both should be of about the same age or the older of the 2 will tend to age the newer battery prematurely. If £ is no objection the ideal is 2 new from the same manufacturer but it aint absolutely necessary. Try looking at Sterling Power Products website for good general info but you don't have to buy every gizmo they recommend. Check your suggested advertised inverter for damage, at that price it might have fallen from back end of a lorry !!
It sounds as though vehicle electrics might not be your forte, in which case a word of advice : many "autoelectricians" actually know sod all about leisure vehicle electrics & life-styles, so look for someone who is familiar with campervan electrics.

Poppy

You need to get a list of all the 240v appliances that you intend to use and frequency of use (have you room for them all, are you going to be on hookup?). This will give you some idea as to size of inverter required. Then a list of consumption of 12v appliances , including lighting, Ah. This combined info will give an idea as to what size batteries needed.
The fewer 240v appliances and low 12v Ah the better. Although I don't use any, if you intend staying off hookup for as long as poss invest in some solar panels.

I will sit and make a list tomorrow....mostly it will only be me on photographic trips, but sometimes my partner & the dog will be there. I'm happy to rough it, but I know she'll want a few home comforts. So, I'll need to play it safe.

Poppy

Thank you....I had planned on getting two batteries, but didn't think to connect them to make one big one. Thanks for the tip re LED lights too, that is now on my list;)

Poppy

My preference would be to forget the inverter and spend your money instead on a good "intelligent" i.e. 4 step mains to 12v charger - it will help greatly extend the life of your batteries. If fitting 2 x leisure batteries they don't have to be of the same size, you could mix an 80 Amp Hour (known as 80 Ah) with, for example, a 110 Ah but they ought really to be of the same type i.e. both wet open top (with removable filler caps) or both wet low maintenance (no screw filler caps) or AGM or whatever. Preferably both should be of about the same age or the older of the 2 will tend to age the newer battery prematurely. If £ is no objection the ideal is 2 new from the same manufacturer but it aint absolutely necessary. Try looking at Sterling Power Products website for good general info but you don't have to buy every gizmo they recommend. Check your suggested advertised inverter for damage, at that price it might have fallen from back end of a lorry !!
It sounds as though vehicle electrics might not be your forte, in which case a word of advice : many "autoelectricians" actually know sod all about leisure vehicle electrics & life-styles, so look for someone who is familiar with campervan electrics.

:lol-049: @ electric not my forte....understatement!!!

jennyp19

One thing I would avoid is a compressor fridge - we had one & it absolutely sucked the life out of the batteries. Could never get enough air flow around it, even though we put an outside grid at the back of it. We may have been unlucky, but it was an very expensive white lump, especially when we travelled in Europe & it was warmer than here. We did our best to avoid using the invertor as well for the same reason.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)