• IMG_20220104_160659.jpg
    IMG_20220104_160659.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 188
  • IMG_20220104_160627.jpg
    IMG_20220104_160627.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 186

SquirrellCook

Forum Member
From experience of those roofs, look at getting another layer of glass fibre over it using woven matting and use a flexible additive. Best of luck.

wildebus

Forum Member
Looks like a good base for a conversion.
The roof looks very thin, so SQs suggestion makes good sense for a number of reasons.
What kind of rear door have you got - and what plans there? Most seem to be partial roller-shutters, so very rattly and not very wind-proof. Solid back to be fitted?
Looking forward to seeing your progress as is the kind of base I would go for if I were doing another conversion :)

Millie Master

Forum Member
If that roof is flat, then if it were me I would bond 1 or 2 layers of 25mm Cellotex (or similar) to it. I suggest 25mm as it is very slightly flexible and as such it should be able to bond thoroughly to the outer skin and as such make it far stronger, it is then easy to bond wood veneer or similar to it.

As for fitting roof lights, personally I wouldn't as they can be quite heavy and furthermore with the height of the van, they would be difficult to reach.

Are you also planning a walk through from the cab?

Phil

Bouydog

Forum Member
Looks a good base vehicle, as others have said the roof should be your starting point. Having a similar roof albeit with much stronger framing I did use 25 mm celotex adhered to the underside then added battens for fixing ceiling cladding to. Used existing framing to support solar rooflights etc but really wish I had added another skin to the fiberglass outside. I may still do this in the future. Good luck and have fun while watching the money run 👍🤣

Derek

Forum Member
From experience of those roofs, look at getting another layer of glass fibre over it using woven matting and use a flexible additive. Best of luck.
Yes was considering getting a complete composit panal for a new roof about 2k all in but have a better solution

Derek

Forum Member
Looks like a good base for a conversion.
The roof looks very thin, so SQs suggestion makes good sense for a number of reasons.
What kind of rear door have you got - and what plans there? Most seem to be partial roller-shutters, so very rattly and not very wind-proof. Solid back to be fitted?
Looking forward to seeing your progress as is the kind of base I would go for if I were doing another conversion :)
Yes new roof will be the first thing to fix, rear door is a fold out ramp so it will be removed and the gap filled in to carry a bicycle rack, it's 24 ft 8 inches long so plenty of space I hope

Derek

Forum Member
Looks a good base vehicle, as others have said the roof should be your starting point. Having a similar roof albeit with much stronger framing I did use 25 mm celotex adhered to the underside then added battens for fixing ceiling cladding to. Used existing framing to support solar rooflights etc but really wish I had added another skin to the fiberglass outside. I may still do this in the future. Good luck and have fun while watching the money run 👍🤣
Ya the roof is the biggest challenge , by far not sure yet one complete composite panel would be the proper way in order to support roof lights

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)