Wind Turbine ?

Pudsey Bear

Forum Member
A turbine requires a large amount of water falling down hill to the empellar,that chap has no idea.
If the impeller is at the end of a pipe or the the force can be multiplied, the height is more important than the volume, but of course more volume can equate to more power, to provide a good bit of power there are lots of different way to generate power if you're good with your hands.

Look on Youtube for Kris Harbour, he runs all kinds of gear on his small holding, he has water wind and solar power and shows how to do pretty much all of it.

trevskoda

Forum Member
Some interesting comments here, looks like a number of us are looking at turbine power generation.
I have been looking at:
1. Solar - Summer/Sunny days
2. Vertical Wind Turbine - Winter use
3 12v only

I prefer the vertical turbine as less horizontal profile and non-directional. Coupled to this I am looking at a spare/repair 240v generator, remove the engine and affix the turbine. It would need some clever maths to select the correct rotational speed for the genny and some brain scratching to select the correct gear ratio's for the drive from the turbine to the genny. Why an old/nacked genny, its already wired up.

Solar, self explanatory, 12v equipment only.

So whats 240v - Fridge. but could be 12/24v, TV - use a laptop or get a truck TV. Not that it would be watched.
That leaves cooking, Gas? its the potential for leaks that puts me on edge. So I have looked at induction hobs and an inverter. I can't find a 12v/24v one.
Shower pump - 12v From Ring, hot water - fill a gravity fed tank with hot water enough for a shower, in the summer, use solar tubes, stainless 40mm tube with a black background.
So, if you can pick holes in what I have said, please do, it might just be bollards!!
It wont work, first once you introduce gearing you lose half the input, it must be direct drive disc with hinduminium magnets and not some old 240v genny of a petrol unit, vertical units produse much les power than horazontal ones.

Frankt

Forum Member
It wont work, first once you introduce gearing you lose half the input, it must be direct drive disc with hinduminium magnets and not some old 240v genny of a petrol unit, vertical units produse much les power than horazontal ones.
Great, feedback is good, what about the other ideas?

Pudsey Bear

Forum Member
but quieter, won't jam in one direction, takes up less space and less vibration.

xsilvergs

Forum Member
If you're into 3D printing there are some ideas here.
I find Rob's laugh annoying but the ideas are interesting.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)