wind out awnings.

Rodeo

Has anyone a preference for manufacturer? Im thinking about getting one for my latest van .Fiamma seem to have them sorted.Are they any good?
Thanks

Sky

Great if you use sites, but just added weight and drag if you're wilding. :)

Fiamma are the most common and are very well made.

Wooie1958

Forum Member
Fiamma, although now we only really use it if we are on a show for the weekend which we haven`t done for a couple of years now.

If you do get one make sure you put a " Tie Down Kit / Strap " on it no matter how calm the weather is FIAMMA AWNING TIE DOWN KIT YELLOW STRAP FREE DELIVERY | eBay

It`s surprising how quick the wind can get up and will have it over the top in seconds and could damage the van.

shortcircuit

I have a Fiamma and find it excellent however am unable to compare with other manufactures. What I did find is the joint in the winding handle is as weak as chocolate and you have to be careful how you use it to ensure you have 90* bends complete.

If you are wild camping I see no reason why you cannot use it depending on location.

In an Aires in France the MH next to me had awning out which was absolutely no problem to me. Local Mr Plod appeared and after a bit of conversation next door lifted the awning legs and attached them to clip fitted to the side of his MH which appeased plod as it was now not on the ground so off he went happy as Larry having enforced the law. I fitted these clips just in case. On another site, regularly patrolled by Mr Plod, awnings were out attached and free standing with no comment by Mr Plod.

Additional drag, well correct, but how much?? Would be more concerned if I was going to be gassed ?

exwindsurfer

Forum Member
wind out awning

I fitted a Fiamma wind out awning when I was fitting out my van and to be quite honest I wish I hadnt bothered. I should have stuck with original idea of glueing an awning rail to the roofline and getting a second hand caravan awning and use just the roof part and three poles, which I think would have been a better idea.

Wooie1958

Forum Member
Still got my clips / brackets in the bag they came in 8 1/2 years back :rolleyes2:

Now you`ve brought this up think i`ll have a look at fitting them :hammer:

Rodeo

Thanks for the info guys.I agree that it could be a waste of quite a large chunk of money ,but after our recent trip to Fr/Spain without shade,we feel we will need one ,as we intend to spend lots more time over there.We see all sorts of probs with them on aires,including heated arguments between adjacent vans re their encroachment on each others pitch.We find it all part of the comical tapestry of camping on aires.I will carry on my Fiamma price quest to find the best deal.Also thanks for the tie down tip,had seen that a few times.Some folks wind them in over night.

Last edited:

Obanboy666

Had a Fiamma fitted when I bought my motorhome 2 years ago. Supposedly i got 10% discount and free fitting from the dealer as motorhome was new, price was still a rip off imho.
Got to say the biggest waste of money I have spent on my motorhome.
I wild most of the time and only use it the odd occasion that I use a site. In addition I don't put it out if it's windy, and the manual States not to be used in rain ???
Save your money and use it for something more useful like refillable gas bottles.

Obanboy666

Still got my clips / brackets in the bag they came in 8 1/2 years back :rolleyes2:

Now you`ve brought this up think i`ll have a look at fitting them :hammer:

Same here, somewhere in the house ?
I suppose on the rare occasion I have the awning out it would stop the dog going around the legs with her tether attached causing the leg to be dragged with her.

st3v3

Forum Member
Ours is fiamma and I like it. Even in the rain - just lower one corner. It does get put away in the wind though. I figure that's not a problem as we wouldn't be sat there in the wind. Rain maybe, but not wind.

I've used the body clips wilding.

Caz

I used to have an Omnistor on a 6 berth van I had. Current van has a Fiamma. I'd say the Omnistor was better made but Fiammas seem to be more popular. I only use it for shade, or a bit of protection from light rain, in summer on a site. Take it down if windy.

I also bought a van conversion that had a Caravanstore awning on - the one that slides on to the awning rail in it's own zip up bag. That was a real pain, very difficult to roll up unless someone gives you a hand, plus when it was open the zip used to get caught in the sliding door. I gave it away (zip was bust) and just used an Outdoor Revolution Easi Canopy when i needed a bit of shade or rain shelter.

Tony2

Tony2

Go for the F65 it's more aerodynamic than the F45,less drag.It's a fair weather piece of kit,great if you
like a bit of shade.be carefull when it's windy.
Regards Tony.

badgerdid

awning

I have the awning rail on my van and just bought one of the canopies that slide into it and you use two poles to hold the other end up.
The only reason ive bought one is for the rain. I found if its raining you cannot have the sliding door open because the rain just falls inside the van, and its a pain having it shut when its warm.
At least with the canopy on i can open the door still and let some of the cooler air in.

I would love the wind out type but there too expensive for me.

When im on a site for 3 days or more though i use a drive away awning and thats great.

Rodeo

After considering all the comments ,and as much as I like the idea of an awning,I think I will hold off getting one until weve had a couple of trips in the van.Worst case for fitting will be bolt through the side,above the door,so Ill keep that in mind when building the interior

GRWXJR

My Camper has a Fiamma F45 on it.

I do use it on camp sites and when at other things in a field such as Mountain Bike events or when at Showgrounds, staying over at friends places for bbq n beer, that sorta thing. Its well handy for providing a covered space in front of the sliding door to provide shade or rain cover and a feeling of having more usable space (sit under it, eat under it, shelter under it or just be able to leave the side door open without rain getting in etc.).

When fully extended, I strap mine down using a pair of cheapo Dog Tether corkscrews (much more 'bite' into the ground than a tent peg) and some small webbing type tie downs to be able to heave them up in tension and prevent flapping and possible breakaway damage. Works well.

If its not windy, but raining, I also use the F45 as a 'porch'. I wind it out just a foot or maybe 2... and its just enough to make sure its dry and no drips with the side door open (its often raining here in summer, but quite balmy at the same time so its nice to have the door open).

It doesn't get used LOADS... but it is handy and nice to have.

G.

Mastodon

We have an omnistor with wall mounts (the wall mounts don't attract dog leads) which we use in fine weather for shade, in wet/windy weather we wind out a couple of feet and brace it with short rafters. We have an old one in a zip up bag which we used on our T4, this was handy as it was easy to fit when needed, bit of a skill to rolling it away solo though.

GRWXJR

We have an omnistor with wall mounts (the wall mounts don't attract dog leads) which we use in fine weather for shade, in wet/windy weather we wind out a couple of feet and brace it with short rafters. We have an old one in a zip up bag which we used on our T4, this was handy as it was easy to fit when needed, bit of a skill to rolling it away solo though.

No-one has hooked a mutt up to my tie-down points.... yet anyway!

It would be handy though to have the option of being able to use the legs on my F45 on wall mounts so it could be attached to the van only as a porch (if I wind it out a bit as a porch, I leave the legs stashed in the end-plate as it is).... but I haven't got any fitted.

n brown

Forum Member
i rarely use mine, but i always use the wall-mounts. any sudden gust of wind can flip them, and they're a writeoff if the corner joints snap.
i'd rather use the wall mounts than stake the legs to the ground

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)