Which Fuse Box would you prefer?

wildebus

Forum Member
OK.
I have a kit I do for people embarking on their first bit of leisure electrics and it is a simple affair for people who maybe need some guidence (so diagrams provided) and simple to install as well as cost-efficient.

I need to supply a 4-way blade/ATO Fuse Box for this kit and I have 2 different options I need to choose from.

Now bearing the potential audience in mind, which one would you prefer to see if it were you installing the kit for yourself and maybe if a novice. (There is no need to make any cables BTW, everything is done for you in that respect)

Option 1: Side entry connections in and out
1615382154854.png

Easier to see connections and to change/add (I will be using 3 of the 4 fuse outlets, the 4th being a spare so ease of adding is handy).

Option 2: Bottom Entry In and Out
1615382212456.png

Looks potentially neater as the actual connections are hidden, but acessing the connections for maintenance is more awkward as have to unscrew the box from the mount.

Vote White 1, Orange 2, or doesn't matter?

I am thinking side-entry Option 1, but that is from my own perspective of someone who is always fiddling around. This is for essentially a "fit and forget" installation.

PS. the multi-way boxes with the LED indicatiors are nice, but not suitable for this specific setup, so they are not a possible 3rd option.

wildebus

Forum Member
Side entry, option 1, definitely for me. I've been scrabbling on the floor with a single version of Option 2 and it was a pain.
there is a bottom-entry 4-way that was added in the footwell of my VW LT and that was a right pain to change a connection, so I personally like side connections much more :)

Deleted member 4404

Most fuse boxes are hidden from view anyway, so that’s the reason I chose the more accessible side entry.

xsilvergs

Forum Member
I prefer fuse boxes with a negative bus.

This may help when your customer want to add another device. No drilling holes or dodgy earth's for them to worry about as you've (@wildebus ) given them an earth already.

wildebus

Forum Member
I prefer fuse boxes with a negative bus.

This may help when your customer want to add another device. No drilling holes or dodgy earth's for them to worry about as you've (@wildebus ) given them an earth already.
I tend to use those usually as well. But ... Not here :)
To explain further ... The fuse box is part of a complete electrics "starter kit". Cost and space comes into the equation as EVERYTHING must fit under the seat and be at a starter-price.
I have TWO DIFFERENT 12V supplies that need to go to devices, hence why one of those one-in, multiple-out boxes with LEDs would not be of any use. If I were to go for that type, I would need 2 X Fuse boxes, so twice the cost, twice the space.
Don't need a fusebox with an earth supply as the vehicle manufacturer has provided - around 6" from where the fusebox will go - a factory earth stud specifically for adding connections.

There is usually method in the madness. ;)

SquirrellCook

Forum Member
Back to being sensible, Option 1 I would say. A valid point raise about a common bus. There must be a neat way of doing it.

van Rix

Forum Member
My vote is Option 1 ; no colour preference.

I have not tried Option 2 , and not in a hurry to do so!

trevskoda

Forum Member
Most fuse boxes are hidden from view anyway, so that’s the reason I chose the more accessible side entry.
I changed from spades because they can come of and as you say earth points is handy, loop and screw is better because if you wish an extra unit can be taken of same point, volt meters spring to mind, two on my dash, 1 hab 2 starter bat next to s/wheel.
van f.jpg

Tookey

Forum Member
As someone that fits your novice description I would choose option 1. I think being able to supply a kit is a good idea. A basic PV set up is quite simple when brocken down in stages but for some reason the project as a whole is quite intimidating. The internet is bursting at the seams with PV advice and kit and as the enthusiasts are obviously more likely to post with details about their smart set ups it can leave the beginners head spinning.

Last edited:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)