Which Adhesive to attach cellotex to aluminium sheets

Robbo777

Forum Member
Hi All
So I'm rebuilding my motorhome after serious damp and I have go to the point now where I need to attach the insulation to the interior aluminium panel. The problem that I have is that the insulation actually forms part of the strength in the structure so I need to choose something strong but flexible, I could use Sikaflex but I need to coat the whole of the back of the insulation to fix to the ally and that would just cost a small fortune.

What would be perfect would be something like a contact carpet spray but that just wouldn't be good enough in a Moho

Any Other Ideas what I could use please?
IMG_20211230_160623.jpg

Phantom

Forum Member
I need to attach the insulation to the interior aluminium panel. The problem that I have is that the insulation actually forms part of the strength in the structure so I need to choose something strong but flexible, I could use Sikaflex but I need to coat the whole of the back of the insulation to fix to the ally and that would just cost a small fortune.
Some cheap silicone sealant would do the job. As you say full contact so no condensation can form in a cavity.

SquirrellCook

Forum Member
Your biggest problem will be finding something that will bond with the aluminium. Clean it as well as you can and then etch prime it.
Foil faced insulation board is also a pain to bond to. Clean all traces of the release agent they use to make it, then etch prime that too.
I think the only thing you’ll bond it with long term, is a spray contact adhesive. I don’t know how to describe it better, but you want one that goes on rough. Not like smooth paint. It will require two people working each side to bond it firmly. Try not to trap any air. Be warned, the moment it touches it will stick. So make sure it lines up.

Silicones will be bad news, even pu mastics will be a pain trying to get it to cure quick enough. Some are supposed to grab, but I doubt if you’ll be able to firm it down evenly.

Squiffy

Forum Member
I personally have never had problems sticking Celotex or Retinol to any surface with an adhesive sealant like "Sticks like shit" or as Millie suggested "Stixall". And have never had to clean the foil for it to bond to the point where it would destroy the sheet if it had to be removed.

P.s. I've just started to build a LWB Boxer for my sister in law so I shall do as I normally do and use Evo stick "Sticks like shit" 👍 😁

Squiffy

Forum Member
And Phil, I hope you will keep us all up to date as to how the build is going?

Phil
Will do Phil, I'll post some picture today as for the start of the build, I've just ti's minute swapped the vans around so as I can start on my sister in laws. Phil

Sprinter 1 cup

Forum Member
Expanding foam around the out side perimeters as you have a frame ! should hold it while the surface can be coverd. Attached.
I would paint / seal that wood /battens as thats the weak link

That wall is not a strong point it is just a sandwich. Put more battens in if you want strong fixings now.
Allys sheet is on the outside exterior yes. .?

Last edited:

Robbo777

Forum Member
I personally have never had problems sticking Celotex or Retinol to any surface with an adhesive sealant like "Sticks like shit" or as Millie suggested "Stixall". And have never had to clean the foil for it to bond to the point where it would destroy the sheet if it had to be removed.

P.s. I've just started to build a LWB Boxer for my sister in law so I shall do as I normally do and use Evo stick "Sticks like shit" 👍 😁
When you sick your Cellotex to the surface do you completely cover the entire area of Cellotex or just put several beads/dabs of sealer?

Squiffy

Forum Member
When you sick your Cellotex to the surface do you completely cover the entire area of Cellotex or just put several beads/dabs of sealer?
Sorry for late reply Robbo, been working on the van all day. No just dot and dab here a d there, never had a problem with condensation, but then once the insulation is on I'm not going to rip it off to find out 😆. My van was done 7 years ago and been all over the continent and as far as I'm aware there is no condensation problems. Phil

MarkJ

Forum Member
do you completely cover the entire area of Cellotex
I went for a bead all around the edge and a circle in the middle. The theory is
- the bead around the edge stops water getting behind it
- if you take care to expel the trapped air within the circle in the middle you get a vacuum to help it stick and stay stuck.

That's the theory, anyway

Robbo777

Forum Member
I went for a bead all around the edge and a circle in the middle. The theory is
- the bead around the edge stops water getting behind it
- if you take care to expel the trapped air within the circle in the middle you get a vacuum to help it stick and stay stuck.

That's the theory, anyway
Sounds totally feasible, I'll go for this method and see how it goes. Thank you :)

Sprinter 1 cup

Forum Member
Nice and toasty inside and that's condensation in the sandwich, pannle vans have pillers that are structural and most strutts are uninsulated so not air tight
= condensation !. but drain beneath from the cills holes. How will yours drain ?
Cold air holds more water. will it be in the wall

Robbo777

Forum Member
Nice and toasty inside and that's condensation in the sandwich, pannle vans have pillers that are structural and most strutts are uninsulated so not air tight
= condensation !. but drain beneath from the cills holes. How will yours drain ?
Cold air holds more water. will it be in the wall
No Idea to be honest, it's original construction was just polystyrene with wood over the top and horizontal batons, there was no way water could ever get out which I guess is why it's so badly damaged.
IMG_20211211_154045.jpg

Nabsim

Forum Member
If you look through Greg Virgos build videos on YouTube he used some purpose made pin/clips that I think had scotch 3m to stick them to the metal. I remember seeing it and thinking it was a good idea but don’t remember much else, good luck

Robbo777

Forum Member
If you look through Greg Virgos build videos on YouTube he used some purpose made pin/clips that I think had scotch 3m to stick them to the metal. I remember seeing it and thinking it was a good idea but don’t remember much else, good luck
I have watched all his videos and yes I saw that one, the only problem I have with that is my motorhome has an ally skin and the insulation actually forms part of the strength so needs to be fully bonded.
Thanks anyway 👍😁

Nabsim

Forum Member
I have watched all his videos and yes I saw that one, the only problem I have with that is my motorhome has an ally skin and the insulation actually forms part of the strength so needs to be fully bonded.
Thanks anyway 👍😁
Not sure it it is an option for you as I think it would work out quite expensive but have you looked at the composite boards they use to make motorhomes and boxes (as in live in boxes) from?