What van???

Croftylad

I'm sure this question has been asked a thousand times but I would love to hear what suggestions people have. I am looking to replace the van I have and buy something newer. The biggest problem is lack of space on our drive. A coach built jobbie is too wide and expensive. I would like to get a panel van to convert as this means I can afford a newish van.

The decision is what van? I am also limited in length so non of the super long wheelbase vans will fit.
This probably narrows my list down to the following.

LWB Renault Master/Movano
MWB Iveco daily
MWB Mercedes Sprinter
MWB Volkswagen LT
Jumbo Transit van

Would like something around the 11-12ft in bed length. I know Sprinters are supposed to be very good but they are also expensive!
If you can add to my list or have any oppinons I would love to hear them. My budget is around £5000.
Thanks Antony

The Grand Wanderer

Sprinter gets my vote. Rear wheel drive means good traction on grass or other slippery surfaces plus you get MB anti-spin acceleration, a kind of traction control at slow speeds. The vans are packed with safty features. However in this life you only get what you pay for so good equates to more money however you only buy once. All depends on how much you are going to use it and where you intend to take it.
Good luck anyway,
Wanderer

Elfit

i

I have a movano and am very happy with it. I bought it on the recommendation of A friend who also has one.
Is great to drive,6 gears and it's front wheel drive. LWB has 12 foot of space behind driver and high roof means you can stand up if you are tall.
It should be easy to find a 3 year old one on your budget.

n brown

Forum Member
you haven't got relay ducato boxer on your list,they are the widest and if your up to about 6'3'' you can sleep sideways,giving you more options on your layout

veedubmatt

i have a vw lt35 lwb and love it so much room in the back im 6 foot and still plenty of room to stand
and very well priced for what thay are

Ste

I'm on a Tranny now, but I've had had both Merc & 2 Iveco's in the past few years. The Sprinter was more reliable, but useless when fully loaded. The chassis on the Iveco is fair better, in fact there's not much difference between the 3.5t & 6.5t vans. I found the Daily's driving seat comfier too. I'd have another Iveco again (Probably quite soon actually as I need a 2nd van). Only really weak points are The U bolts on the rear axle (If they're not maintained the axle moves too much and then that goes!), the cheap plastic the door hands are made from, and if its not been cared for the Turbo's.

johnmac185

Why not look for a Citroen Relay,,,plenty room at 12feet behind cab,,,
have transversed bed at back up high,, gives plenty storage below,,,
2.2hdi engine gives up to 38mpg, have everything in you need and weighs 2.650kgs(gross3.500kgs),, seems to be plenty 2nd hand ones going about,,,wish you luck,,
John

vwalan

you could keep your eyes and ears open for a renault mascot ,they have rear wheel drive and go high in the weight range. have a nice chassis.
do a google on them . they look like a master but arent front wheel drive.

Croftylad

thanks

Thanks for all your suggestions. Interesting comment that Sprinters rust easily. I have seen lots driving about that seem to have a rusty rash on them! Also when I looked at sizes some off the MWB vans are relatively short in bed length, however the LWB versions of the same van are considerably longer and would n't fit on the drive. I quite like the look of the mwb Iveco daily. They seem to be reasonably priced compared with others and have a bed length of around 11.5 ft (I think). Lots of Renault Masters also around with a bed length of around 12ft. Will keep looking, any more ideas please post!
Thanks Antony

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)