Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Something else

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

workbox

Forum Member
Pros & cons of choosing Box vs Panel van

I will start with Pros for box van like one pictured below : )

1. Box van all walls straight.
No heavy duty wall/corner scribing.

2. Box van guaranteed proper insulation and vapor barrier.

3. Box van have more space for interior & underneath for water/LPG/extra diesel tanks.

4. Box van have less rust to deal with. No awkward voids, sills, trim holes etc

before_ford.png

after_ford.png

wildebus

Forum Member
My choice - and what I would go for if I did another conversion - would be the Box/Luton van.
Extra width and straight sides, plus the ability to stick if careful to under 3.5t are the key

I've noticed there are some motorhomes starting to come out more which are virtually no wider than a panel van but with totally flat sides, so you don't get that lost space where the sides would usually come in on you. That is a good option for people who don't want to have to deal with driving a vehicle the width of a 'standard' motorhome

Nabsim

Forum Member
I would look at payloads, work out what you want in it and go from there. I was shocked by another thread on here which is a new box van with only 1 tonne payload. I didn’t realise that box vans were fully insulated and vapour barrier though? Are ALL walls and roof made of composite panels?

workbox

Forum Member
I would look at payloads, work out what you want in it and go from there. I was shocked by another thread on here which is a new box van with only 1 tonne payload. I didn’t realise that box vans were fully insulated and vapour barrier though? Are ALL walls and roof made of composite panels?

would you remember link or title by any chance?
The pictures above made in photoshop (image editor) as example how it could look like : )

Millie Master

Forum Member
Although I ticked panel van in the survey, in truth I would very seariously consider the latest low chassis box vans for their total useability when it comes to converting them, most especially when insulation is considered as they would be so exceptionally easy to do. My only major question would be the capability of a walk through from the cab which for me is a must have.

workbox

Forum Member
Although I ticked panel van in the survey, in truth I would very seariously consider the latest low chassis box vans for their total useability when it comes to converting them, most especially when insulation is considered as they would be so exceptionally easy to do. My only major question would be the capability of a walk through from the cab which for me is a must have.

If you are not comfortable to cut hole your self, most autobody shops can do that.

Last edited:

workbox

Forum Member
not too sure, but I have notice for sometime fiberglass boxes, trailers for artic (semi) trucks usually gives better mpg.

iveco.jpeg

helmit

Forum Member
Hi Phil the Renault Loloader uses the same removable bulkhead as the Master panel van so no problem there
phone pics 108.jpg
image3.jpeg

workbox

Forum Member
I am so please how Renault listening and try to satisfy every customer requirement, I wish they would improve engine/gearbox to total satisfaction.
But since IC engines planned to retire soon not sure if that would happens.

Nabsim

Forum Member
I am so please how Renault listening and try to satisfy every customer requirement, I wish they would improve engine/gearbox to total satisfaction.
But since IC engines planned to retire soon not sure if that would happens.
Is it same engines as in the Vivaro? Son in law hired a van yesterday and was impressed how well it went, he thinks it was a 1.9 but doesn’t know anything else

helmit

Forum Member
Is it same engines as in the Vivaro? Son in law hired a van yesterday and was impressed how well it went, he thinks it was a 1.9 but doesn’t know anything else
Some traffic (vivaro) now have a 1.6 twin turbo. The Master after 2010 has a 2.3litre

Millie Master

Forum Member
"Hi Phil the Renault Loloader uses the same removable bulkhead as the Master panel van so no problem there"

Would you happen to know if anyone has ever fitted a large opening side door, preferably sliding to these Loloaders?

I only ask as we love sitting on site with the side door fully opened watching the world go by!

Phil

wildebus

Forum Member
Would you happen to know if anyone has ever fitted a large opening side door, preferably sliding to these Loloaders?

I only ask as we love sitting on site with the side door fully opened watching the world go by!

Phil
1618333515348.png

At a guess, I would say a slider was probably not be an option as I doubt the fairly flimsy walls could take the motion of a sliding door?

What I wish the van makers would do is bring back the double side doors as an option.
The only recent van that has the choice between a slider and a double door I think is the US Ford Transit
1618333826332.png

SquirrellCook

Forum Member
I’ve seen these delivery vans used as horse transporters as well as motor homes. You wouldn’t think they would be tough enough for a horse tap dancing.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)