What size fuse?

tapfitter

Forum Member
Hi.
I am installing aftermarket electric windows in my VW T5, it comes as a full kit which is all in place now, I am just about to connect the power lead which was not fused so I have got an inline fuse holder, but just deciding what size fuse should go in it. It powers the 2 front motors for the windows, I just don't want it blowing if both window motors are operated at the same time.
Thanks

wildebus

Forum Member
There may be some wattage or current info on the motors? check for that info and work from that.
Key thing is that the fuse has to be rated lower than the current carrying capability of the cable - what size cable is in the kits?

tapfitter

Forum Member
Hi
It is difficult to tell, there is not much information given on the technical side of things.
It is this kit
Although I didn't pay that for it!
Not sure if this helps

tapfitter

Forum Member
1578405387008.jpeg
And a photo of the fitted motor if it helps

wildebus

Forum Member
Can't really tell from that :(

An alternative approach ... use the same size fuse that the OEM wiring for the Electric windows use :)
According to the wiring diagram, the main supply for the electric window control units is a 30A fuse. There is also a 10A fuse for a "onboard supply control unit" but I don't think that is applicable to the aftermarket set you have.
Note: for a 30A fuse to be suitable, I would expect the wiring to be around 2.5mm2.

T5s wiring and fuseboxs population vary a lot, but this diagram shows a likely location where the fuse would be located for the OEM windows. You can get to the back of the fusebox fairly simply so you could potentially add your wiring into this location for an OEM-type location?
1578408611595.png

tapfitter

Forum Member
Hi Wildebus. Thanks for your help, I may start with a 10a fuse and if it blows increase the size. I will look at incorporating the original fuse box, that seems a sensible idea.

It does seem strange they don't provide a fuse in the set up.

wildebus

Forum Member
Hi Wildebus. Thanks for your help, I may start with a 10a fuse and if it blows increase the size. I will look at incorporating the original fuse box, that seems a sensible idea.

It does seem strange they don't provide a fuse in the set up.
Depending on the wiring setup, it could be a nice idea to have a fuse for each side? there is usually spare room in the centre fusebox to allow that.
Have you got any bellows for the door wiring or is that in place already? (would be if you have central locking or electric mirrors)

tapfitter

Forum Member
The wiring is all in place now through the existing bellows, I just have the one red wire to hook up to the fuse box, I think the idea of fusing each motor separately is a good idea, I will look at how easy that is to do.

Cheers

Nabsim

Forum Member
I am fairly sure my Sprinter has a fuse for each side, possibly shared with another device each side.

tapfitter

Forum Member
I think that is a good idea, I will amend the wiring to include a fuse for each motor, will start with a 10a fuse on each.
Just waiting for a window in the weather now.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)