What, if any 4x4 base vehicle?

PROMETHEUS

Hi all
we I still haven't began the process of buying/converting a van. The nearest I get is I have a scrap book with scribbled thoughts and ideas for the project when/if I ever realise my dream.
One thing I have promised myself is a trek to Lapland if I ever get a van. Around 20 years ago I took part in a couple of aid convoys to Romanian orphanages and loved every moment of it.
On one trip it was particularly cold and I remember then the coziness of it all and thinking how much I would enjoy using well insulated camper in really cold weather.
If I do ever get a van I intend to do a trip to Scotland in the snow to prove everything before the big trip.
OK it may never happen but at nearly fifty years old I need a dream :camper:
Anyway I digress (I often do). The reason for my post is are many modern panel vans available with a 4wd option or would I have to look toward a T3/T25 Syncro vehicle.
The reason I am wondering about 4x4 is due to my wanting to visit snowy climes - any replies welcome!

molly 2

Hi all
we I still haven't began the process of buying/converting a van. The nearest I get is I have a scrap book with scribbled thoughts and ideas for the project when/if I ever realise my dream.
One thing I have promised myself is a trek to Lapland if I ever get a van. Around 20 years ago I took part in a couple of aid convoys to Romanian orphanages and loved every moment of it.
On one trip it was particularly cold and I remember then the coziness of it all and thinking how much I would enjoy using well insulated camper in really cold weather.
If I do ever get a van I intend to do a trip to Scotland in the snow to prove everything before the big trip.
OK it may never happen but at nearly fifty years old I need a dream :camper:
Anyway I digress (I often do). The reason for my post is are many modern panel vans available with a 4wd option or would I have to look toward a T3/T25 Syncro vehicle.
The reason I am wondering about 4x4 is due to my wanting to visit snowy climes - any replies welcome!
Lots of vw 4wd around

outtolunch

I was behind a 4x4 merc sprinter the other week didn't know that they made them never seen one before and bound to be expensive

mark61

Forum Member
Mercedes Sprinters are available as 4x4, new or loads on Ebay.
If you prefer the VW Crafter, you'll have to go to Europe to get a 4x4.
All ages of VW Transporters available as 4x4, again loads on Ebay, etc.
Ford Transits also available, as are Fiat Ducato, but rare in UK.

None of those are full off road types of vehicles like the Pinz, but fine for snow and tracks. In fact barring ground clearance, they'll go where a Land Rover on the same tyres.

Steve121

Military Ambulance

My motorhome is based on an Ex MoD XD130 Land Rover Pulse Ambulance with a 300Tdi diesel engine. XD130 = eXtra Duty 130" wheelbase (it's really 127", but they call it 130). Spacious body built from alloy/insulation foam/alloy sandwich. Full time 4 wheel drive, centre difflock and plenty of ground clearance. Built in 5kW Eberspacher diesel heater.
Unfortunately these vehicles are now extremely hard to come by, as the MoD now convert them to High Capacity Pickup trucks instead of selling them on, so prices have gone up considerably. There are quite a few earlier styles of ambulance based on a 127" Land Rover chassis, but they tend to be powered by thirsty V8 petrol engines.
There are also considerably older Forward Control 101" wheelbase Land Rovers, but these are really only suitable for Land Rover enthusiasts.

PROMETHEUS

Ta folks................

Ta folks but the expensive vehicles are, well....expensive!
I have thought about the ex police idea but as you say they are probably gas guzzlers.
I reckon the V VV T3 Syncro will be the best option but I did fancy something a little bigger.
Ah well the quest continues.................

mark61

Forum Member
T3' Syncro's are great, but will probably end up costing more then a T4 Syncro. T3's are better off road, but won't make any difference for snow covered roads.

hextal

For off-road off-roading i'd love a unimog. Used them for work a few times (with cherry-pickers attached to the back) and they will go almost anywhere.

FULL TIMER

How about the Iveco Daily 4x4, alway's fancied converting one of them

phillybarbour

My main use of our van is for skiing, you should not need a 4x4 for snow. You need the correct snow tyres and in my case two different types of snow chains. Never been stuck but obviously if it's really bad which I have seen just wait another 24 hours. The above is a much cheaper option than running a 4x4 if it's only for snow, sand and mud or dirt tracks if a different issue.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)