Water containers.

Caz

It`s space I could use for something else!
A 5ltr container is a little OTT for a bloke on his own.

Really? Best not sit too close to you if we ever meet then!

My dog drinks at least 1.5 litres a day, I drink at least one in coffees, that only leaves 2.5 for cooking, washing pots, washing me and cleaning teeth. I'd say it was a minimum rather than OTT for me on my own. Don't blokes wash as much as women? :eek:

R0B

Forum Member
It is all very low tech, close to camping with a tent but without the misery of pitching the tent in a damp field in the pouring rain.

I'm going to print and frame that and hang it in my M/H. :)
Then when visitors complain that the jacuzzi is too hot, or the champagne is too cold, or the chandeliers aren't bright enough, I shall nod sagely, tap it with the stem of my meerschaum and say "Feck off!!"

Soxandjeff

Really? Best not sit too close to you if we ever meet then!

My dog drinks at least 1.5 litres a day, I drink at least one in coffees, that only leaves 2.5 for cooking, washing pots, washing me and cleaning teeth. I'd say it was a minimum rather than OTT for me on my own. Don't blokes wash as much as women? :eek:
I think I`m getting my litres in a mix.
It`s a 20ltr container I have in my van and not a 5 ltr. I definitely wouldn`t be using 20 ltrs in a couple of days!

mistericeman

Forum Member
Always used the ex military black plastic 20l cans on the landrover (tough and no nasty tastes)

However when away in the van we just carry 2 of the 4/5l supermarket bottled water....
Then refill as needed... Until the handles weaken and drop off...
At which point they go into the recycling and we buy 2 nice new and fresh ones.

Dowel

Forum Member
"However when away in the van we just carry 2 of the 4/5l supermarket bottled water.... "

Pleasantly surprised by low price of bottled water in Aldi this summer.

Pudsey Bear

Forum Member
I always use a garden hose, flush it first for a minute then fill up, the water isn't in the hose long enough to pick up anything, I store it with a coupling end to end, in the dark so it should be pretty free of nasties too.

trevskoda

Forum Member
It`s space I could use for something else!
A 5ltr container is a little OTT for a bloke on his own.
You are ment to drink that every day,or so my militery book says,even in winter,if you dont then there is the risk of turning into a prune.

trevskoda

Forum Member
My van has a 100ltr tank though i eat out most times as not away long to bother,and also give wife a break from scubadub dub.

Millie Master

Forum Member
I have just seen this thread.

I am the same as Trev in as much 'Millie' has an underslung 100ltr. tank and we use this water for washing, cooking and for the dogs to drink. For our own drinking needs, I have 2 x 10ltr. plastic water bottles that I bought several years ago and constantly keep flushing them out and refilling them, we find the water inside them remains fresh enough to drink for at least a week.
Normally when out and about our on-board water storage will last us for at least 4 days, but by splash washing rather than showering we can stretch that time out quite considerably.

These days because of our awareness of Global plastic/waste contamination problems we NEVER EVER buy small bottles of water.

Phil

wildebus

Forum Member
"Do you have a shower in your van?" That is the key question (note: to no one in particular on this thread ;) ). That seems to be the difference between always having enough water and never having enough water (doesn't seem to be a halfway house :) )

I have a pair of 25L Containers and on a long weekend away I don't think I have dipped into the 2nd one. On my previous camper I had a 13L container and when away from Thurs to Sunday, used to refill that on the Sunday morning.

Squiffy

Forum Member
"Do you have a shower in your van?" That is the key question (note: to no one in particular on this thread ;) ). That seems to be the difference between always having enough water and never having enough water (doesn't seem to be a halfway house :) )

I have a pair of 25L Containers and on a long weekend away I don't think I have dipped into the 2nd one. On my previous camper I had a 13L container and when away from Thurs to Sunday, used to refill that on the Sunday morning.

Yes and we use it regularly, we've got a water saving shower head which is a real water saver compared to a normal head. We spend at least 5-6 weeks on the continent every year, we have been close to running out of water on a couple of occasions but have never actually run dry, but then in France especially, water taps are freely available in Aires in nearly every village or at least within 20 miles on your travels. Being under slung it does not intrude into your living space and in my view is actually a necessity in any motorhome, I certainly would not be happy with 25ltrs in bottle/s
Clogging up my internal space 😏Phil.

trevskoda

Forum Member
As a rule irish folk bath once a week but wash down well every morning with flanel,so little water used,then there is always the swimming baths if you like though very few down south.

Millie Master

Forum Member
"Do you have a shower in your van?"

Yes we have a shower and just like @Squiffy, we have travelled extensively in Europe (mainly France) for 5 or 6 weeks each year and normally don't have any difficulty in finding water, but it does naff me off on some of the Aires when the water is metered or time limited and the machine needs a token and the water pressure is very low!
I always carry a 10ltr watering can and if there is a free to use tap nearby I normally make certain that the tank is kept topped up.
Phil

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)