Victron power query

Nabsim

Forum Member
Can anyone tell me how many amps at 240v I would need for the Victron Blue Smart IP22 12v - 30amp and the Blue Smart IP22 12v - 20amp chargers please?

wildebus

Forum Member
Can anyone tell me how many amps at 240v I would need for the Victron Blue Smart IP22 12v - 30amp and the Blue Smart IP22 12v - 20amp chargers please?
rule of thumb .... divide by 20.
so the 30A charger will draw 1.5A @240V. the 20A will be 1A

There is a bit of a problem getting some Victron kit currently. I ordered a IP22 30A before Christmas and still not sure when it will arrive (no one seems to have that one). Tomorrow I will be changing the order from the 30A 1-output to the 30A 3-output as that should be in stock.

Nabsim

Forum Member
If the 30amp only draws 1.5 amps at 240v then I could run two of them from my 1Kw genny?

I know Charlie couldn’t run his Ring 50amp smart charger from a 1Kw genny, is the Victron that much lower draw?

wildebus

Forum Member
If the 30amp only draws 1.5 amps at 240v then I could run two of them from my 1Kw genny?

I know Charlie couldn’t run his Ring 50amp smart charger from a 1Kw genny, is the Victron that much lower draw?
for current, rule of thumb is divide by 20
For power, Voltage x Current = Watts. So 50A x 12V = 600W. bear in mind the efficiency side - call it 80% - so that would be around 720W it will pull.
Getting more precise, if it can output 50A at 14.4A say, that would be 720W - throw in the efficiency side and that could be just over 850W potentially at full output on a battery that is around 80% charged (so a fairly specific situation).
I would find it strange that you could't use a 50A charger on a 1kW generator. is it 1kW peak, or constant? What kind of generator is it? If it is not an Inverter-Generator than the output may not be sufficient quality for the charger to work at all and not down to the current output but more the voltage stability or waveform.

I would expect the Victron to be more efficient but not dramatically so.

Nabsim

Forum Member
It was when Charlie still had the Hymer I think, and it was the same model genny as mine. Looking at your figures though there shouldn’t be a problem at 50amps, can only think there must have been something else turned on in the van.
Good news for me though 😁😁

thanks for the info 👍

Nabsim

Forum Member
Just double checked and my genny outputs 900W with peak at 1000W. It doesn’t Rev up in eco mode driving the current 2 x 18 amp Schaudt chargers.

think I will have to get a couple of the 30amp Victrons. Been hanging on cos just one of them wasn’t enough, only recently thought about double Victron

wildebus

Forum Member
Just double checked and my genny outputs 900W with peak at 1000W. It doesn’t Rev up in eco mode driving the current 2 x 18 amp Schaudt chargers.

think I will have to get a couple of the 30amp Victrons. Been hanging on cos just one of them wasn’t enough, only recently thought about double Victron
Hi Neil,
I have a 30A 1 output on order but have changed it to a 3-output version for my customer due to delays. But I have asked the supplier to reserve the 1 output one for me when it arrives so if you want one you could take that one if you like? let me know if you want this reserved for you?

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)