Very off topic

SquirrellCook

Forum Member
How's this for an idea? I know solar has been around for a long time for domestic use, but with increasing prices and a worthless infeed tariff, alternatives have to be looked at.
We just had a suggestion that our electricity bill was going to increase to around £20 - £30k a year. It was bad enough when it jumped to £12k a year.
We had a roof pointing the right way for solar and 3 - 4 kw of solar would be easy to fit. Though that side of the roof needs reroofing, so it would be a pain to take it all down again. And with some thought I might be able to double the amount of solar. Let's say ten panels for now costing about £2k fitting then ourselves. Winter is coming to it would be a while to see the peak benefits. Also, more kit required to use them.

We don't want to gid feed at any cost. Infact our meter charges us the same regardless of using or suppling. So, batteries must be the answer.
16 x 280/300 ah Chinese batteries would cost about £2k that's 11'520 watts to about 25% charged.

We have three phases! So, three Mulitipluse's producing 10kva each £9k :( So maybe just one phase at a time. Not forgetting each one with a current clamp to prevent infeeding.

Cheapest start seems to be Batteries and one Multiplus and take advantage of 10 pence cheaper per unit electricity at night.

It seems to be a stupid amount of money for the whole setup, but it still looks like less than a year's electricity.

Do you think it would work, or have I got my numbers wrong?

Sprinter 1 cup

Forum Member
Go new and thats especially expensive. But to throw money into a hole utilly bill and get no return is more so now
Second hand panels 250w or over £60 each 4 or 3 for the price of one. its the inverters and controllers where's the money goes if you cant recaim it like me.

Go for it but do van as well so its mobile power bank

I'm connecting my van too so will be getting a electric car charger fitted backwards.
But look up on utbe off grid garage in Aus 45kw of batteries and he had to plug them in befor end of winter over there ithink he has 6kw solar shaded

JIXAMAN

Forum Member
Thinking about it the wrong way mate... Ah mean, why turn 12v into 240 volts to power lots of 5-12 volt things... Ok, cooker and a handful of other things aside but theres code for it, its allowed... Think of it as a big van and we run everything off 1 panel and a 270ah battery for 3 days at the track. Microwave, kettle, toastie machine, air compressor... Its something ahv been thinking and looking into...

SquirrellCook

Forum Member
Sorry Jixaman, I'm, looking at 48 volts DC. Current loading on a big system is much better. The Betty build runs 24 volts with a DC DC converter for those things than are only 12 volt.
Today I've been running a Bandsaw and about 1kva heating along with some florescent tubes from Betty on an extension cable. Pulling 80 amps at times and warnings about overloading the 1600 Multiplus. It managed for much longer than I expected. Downside was the bandsaw starting, making the lights go out.
Big machines spinning up can pull stupid currents.

JIXAMAN

Forum Member
Ah... Much different to my build then... We used to have trouble with the compressor (its got a big startup capacitor, think thats what ahv heard) but we upgraded the inverter and that trouble went away... Cheers...

Squiffy

Forum Member
Have to admit Squirrell we went the easy way and payed an installer to fit ours 6kw yes it cost us £8.5k but since Feb when they came on line it has more than halved our leccy bill and we've sold enough back to the grid to more than pay the standing charge, our supplier doesn't except monthly payments so we went with octopus for selling our surplus to, but their pay per kw was only 4.1p monthly to non contracted customers, however we thought that preferable to having our present supplier going bust just as they where suppose to pay us on an annual payment. Octopus were not taking on new contracts plus we would have lost the beneficial contract we were on with our present supplier. In a nutshell I can not be more in favour of solar arrays if you can afford them, as mentioned its the Batteries and inverter that are really expensive. Phil

Sprinter 1 cup

Forum Member
Lots of house systems now
Dont know name of youtub site but they installed £ 45 000.00 plus interest in the south of England new 18 months ago used victron and 80 300w panels = 24kw on one 15kw 48v inverter but still used gas generator for 7 per cent . They are fine tuneing the system now 2022

But why a jenny and not more batteries ? Lecy bill £8000 plus interst a year! Plus gas. That will be cheap soon lol. X 5 years if nothing Is out of warranty.

They said it would cost over 60 k to run wire from road to the new build. So cant sell the over spill.

SquirrellCook

Forum Member
One good thing if true is that if you over supply on one phase the electric meter deducts that amount from the other phases. So you don’t get charged for grid in feeding. Selling surplus back is just not worth it.

Sprinter 1 cup

Forum Member
Is that not just old meters , with the wheel ? When pushed back through and make sure them one's don't go back behind 000000.0 reading

Last night watched one in one of the cant pass states, so much south. They had problems getting battery's from China 2021 only paypal @ alibaba to start, with good stuff . but his bms at 48v x16 200amp x 2 seemed expensive. But solar frame evan more so.

His solar panels @ $ 700.00 was way good . Not seen there harvesting brake down yet.but has a tottal cost.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)