Vent Windows

Millie Master

Forum Member
Basically the DVLA don't like anything remotely like a stealth van or to put it another way, they like conversions to look like professionally converted vans when it comes to windows and that in basis is what site owners like as well.

wildebus

Forum Member
well, this is my 2 pennies worth (and some of it to an old thread I just noticed but oh well) ....

Go for the look you want and don't worry about trying to meet some DVLA diktat on window positioning or whatever to what consitutes a "Motor Caravan" as even if you follow those guidelines to the letter, you won't get a VW T5 reclassified as a "Motor Caravan" so don't bother trying - do it the way that YOU want. You could buy a brand new VW California for £70k and that will not be a "Motor Caravan" under the revised DVLA rules.

Next ... disagree with Millie Master on the window style. There is nothing wrong with fitting aftermarket bonded windows in a conversion. Yes, you will have some condensation if they are single-glazed, but it is not the horror story that many seem to imagine. I have have a VW T4, VW T5 and a VW LT all with standard single-glazed windows all round ( and I mean EVERY panel) and it was/is fine. It may not be as effective as a Seitz or polyvision window but ....
If you added a Seitz window to a VW Transporter conversion I am 99% sure it would actually devalue it, especially compared to fitting bonded windows. People just don't add and don't want plastic windows that stick out on their cool VW campers! Transits, Relays, Masters, Ducatos maybe, but deffo not Transporters - it just is not the done thing. Like it or not, that is the way it is and you need to really have some kind of thought to resale value.

I haven't really seen them on Vans since the last time I used to go to the last of the Custom Van shows in the early 80's but Portholes look pretty funky and fun :) If you position them right, you could fit those and at a later stage if you chose to, cut an enlarged opening to replace with a more conventional window.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)