Two models of Victron

MarkJ

Forum Member
Afternoon

Been looking through Victron stuff again and found two models of the inverter I've got my eye on:

I know one is a new version, but apart from being smaller and cheaper - is it identical functionality? Seems to be as far as I can see?

Anyone know?

Thanks!

wildebus

Forum Member
They are basically the same in function as you suspect.
The cheaper one has a plastic enclosure and is can be a lot easier to install potentially (they have external cable inlets clamps whereas the larger metal-cases ones you take the front panel off and route the cable under and onto studs.

I would go for the newer one out of the two.

A useful add-on if you have not come across it is the VE Bus Smart Dongle. Lets you use the VE.Connect Smartphone app to control a few aspects of the Multiplus and monitor the input and output from the MP.

MarkJ

Forum Member
Thanks for the info.

Poring over the manuals suggests they've taken out the bit about being able to mount the unit on its side, like you could with the old one - but I should think it would be OK, with good ventilation round it.

wildebus

Forum Member
Thanks for the info.

Poring over the manuals suggests they've taken out the bit about being able to mount the unit on its side, like you could with the old one - but I should think it would be OK, with good ventilation round it.
I can't think that you could not mount the new style multiplus on its side? I certainly have done so on a van (the 12/800 version in that case) and it worked!
I am probably about to order a Multiplus 12/1600/70 next week and that will be the new syle version.

PS. The 12/1600/70 is not that much more than the 12/1200/50 and could be a good option with the bigger charger especially if your batteries support the higher charge.

wildebus

Forum Member
The Victron Website on this new one (https://www.victronenergy.com/inverters-chargers/multi-500-va) says this:

" The new style MultiPlus is set to replace the earlier MultiPlus Compact range. It is a powerful true sine wave inverter, a sophisticated battery charger that features adaptive charge technology and a high-speed AC transfer switch in a single compact enclosure."

So defintely the one to go for as ongoing support and updates go I would say.
With both the Multiplus and the Phoenix Inverter range, Victron have been gradually adding larger capacity versions to the model range and at a better price then the previous options.

MarkJ

Forum Member
OK, great, thanks. Hard to see a downside - although maybe one day old-style ones will get sold off cheap :giggle:

MarkJ

Forum Member
Apart from the worthy Wildebus, I've been keeping an eye on prices elsewhere and no-one seems consistently always the cheapest, but On Board Energy often seem to be there or thereabouts.

wildebus

Forum Member
Apart from the worthy Wildebus, I've been keeping an eye on prices elsewhere and no-one seems consistently always the cheapest, but On Board Energy often seem to be there or thereabouts.
Generally Onboard Energy will usually be the best priced for the end user on Victron, similar to Alpha Batteries being very hard to beat on Battery prices.

I have trade deals with some Victron Distributors so can buy cheaper but I do try to make a few quid on kit I supply of course as it is a business :D
(but recognise the need to price match or better if possible :) )

barlicker

Forum Member
Generally Onboard Energy will usually be the best priced for the end user on Victron, similar to Alpha Batteries being very hard to beat on Battery prices.

I have trade deals with some Victron Distributors so can buy cheaper but I do try to make a few quid on kit I supply of course as it is a business :D
(but recognise the need to price match or better if possible :) )
I bought the 12/1200/50 early this year. The charger as packed in, the inverter is still working.

wildebus

Forum Member
I bought the 12/1200/50 early this year. The charger as packed in, the inverter is still working.
has it been repaired/replaced? Also, had you got a way to reset it? you can turn off the charger and/or inverter on the Multipluses - could the charger have been disabled accidently?

barlicker

Forum Member
has it been repaired/replaced? Also, had you got a way to reset it? you can turn off the charger and/or inverter on the Multipluses - could the charger have been disabled accidently?
Not been repaired or replaced. I have been fitting and using Victron for 20 years, there was a little bit of smoke and then a crack. This was during the lock down so I haven't been able to do anything with it yet. Can't really let it go either because I live in the van. Bit of a catch 22 yer might say.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)