To shower or not to shower? That is the question.

Roger

Access Denied is how I have coped with a shower and porta potty.

I built the shower cubicle using fibreglass covered plywood, the cubicle followed the contours of the van which gives another 25cm of space to play around with.

The walls were made from plywood and "stitched" together using cable ties, then fibreglassed around the joins. The ties are then removed. If you weblookup "stitch and glue" you'll get plenty of hits on how to do it. The internal corners are filled and rounded with resin and micro balloons.

suneye

Forum Member
I built a shower in Snoopy a Peugeot Boxer I fastened a.large hula hoops on the ceiling using wardrobe rail hangers fastened 2x shower curtains on it when I needed a shower I blew up a child's paddling pool sat it on the floor dropped the shower curtains ensuring they were inside the Ppool then hung a 12v shower to the rail jobs a good one and it all packed away in a small plastic box saving the space for something else.

I use the bucket and cup method but there are times you don't want to shower outside the van (in a pop up) the idea of using a paddling pool is genius! Thanks:idea-007:

shawbags

When you fit your sink fit it with a pull out shower head so you can wash your hair over the sink and have a good wash down with a sponge , flannel , wet wipes , seems a good compromise to me , Chris

trevskoda

Forum Member
Access Denied is how I have coped with a shower and porta potty.

I built the shower cubicle using fibreglass covered plywood, the cubicle followed the contours of the van which gives another 25cm of space to play around with.

The walls were made from plywood and "stitched" together using cable ties, then fibreglassed around the joins. The ties are then removed. If you weblookup "stitch and glue" you'll get plenty of hits on how to do it. The internal corners are filled and rounded with resin and micro balloons.

Something like mine only panels put together with proper joints,remember being taught them at school.

groyne

A shower is a must have in our van. Even though we have a water heater, we usually boil the kettle and add hot and cold water to 2 x 1L bottles. One for getting wet and the other for rinsing off.
Also handy for hanging wet clothing in. Plus it's where we store the boxes of Leffe when we are heading back home.:tongue:

Caz

My previous van had a shower. I used in twice in the 2 years I had it. I tend to only do a few nights off grid then stay at a campsite anyway, and in between I find a sink of water and a flannel are just as effective, although washing hair is a bit difficult in a small sink.

Current van has no shower or "bathroom". I don't miss the shower, apart from staying on a site there are other options such as leisure centres and motorway services.

However, I do miss having a "bathroom" where I can disappear out of sight to use the loo; squatting on my porta potti in the middle of the van is ok at night when all the blinds/curtains are down/drawn, but in daylight in the middle of a busy car park it can be quite challenging. :giggle:

So, given the chance, I'd definitely try to fit in a cupboard of some sort for the loo.

rockape

Just putting together my self build LWB Transit and as you all know, space is precious. I really am torn between having a shower room or not. I have planned for it then ripped the plans up... then planned for it again!! Then bla bla bla ....If I have a shower/toilet room I can't have extra seating (two seats facing each other with table between).
We have a lpg portable shower which I could hang on the rear doors and rig a curtain up and we could put up a toilet tent (does anyone else use one of these....if so, what do you think)
If we are on sites then we will use the shower/toilets provided.
Do you use your shower room enough to justify it??
Dirty boy, I shower 2 x a day regardless of the water, if you use more than you expect, search for other options, rivers, streams , water costs nothing if you do the basics . Try a solar shower, it worked for me.
If you are on your own it's a different matter, the smell you will never notice, sometimes I don't like the smell of cheese.

n brown

Forum Member
My previous van had a shower. I used in twice in the 2 years I had it. I tend to only do a few nights off grid then stay at a campsite anyway, and in between I find a sink of water and a flannel are just as effective, although washing hair is a bit difficult in a small sink.

Current van has no shower or "bathroom". I don't miss the shower, apart from staying on a site there are other options such as leisure centres and motorway services.

However, I do miss having a "bathroom" where I can disappear out of sight to use the loo; squatting on my porta potti in the middle of the van is ok at night when all the blinds/curtains are down/drawn, but in daylight in the middle of a busy car park it can be quite challenging. :giggle:

So, given the chance, I'd definitely try to fit in a cupboard of some sort for the loo.[/QUOTE

''although washing hair is a bit difficult in a small sink.''

hair - i remember hair !

Byronic

However, I do miss having a "bathroom" where I can disappear out of sight to use the loo; squatting on my porta potti in the middle of the van is ok at night when all the blinds/curtains are down/drawn, but in daylight in the middle of a busy car park it can be quite challenging. :giggle

'in the middle of a busy car park it can be quite challenging', and possibly illegal, but definitely a Youtubeable hit!

kanga

We have got a pop up toilet tent that we use when tent camping. It is excellent except....If it is windy, it whips about ,twists and bends however sturdily you fix it to the ground and so is unusable due to its springiness (you cant get inside to use it) so while it is very nice when a calm day and we can shower and dress and use it as a loo tent, it cant be relied upon absolutely.
In the van (kangoo) we have a loo bucket with a tight fitting lid for night time and use biodegradable bags and wood based cat litter. That works very well and there is no problem with pongs plus the waste can be disposed of just like dog poo bags as no chemicals are used. To use it privately we have the back windows masked with our window screens and the front area can be curtained off with a towel hung up with magnets to make a little private room.
Havent tried showering yet but we have a 12volt battery shower that pumps from a bucket and will be fixing it up on the back (barn doors) .

n brown

Forum Member
We have got a pop up toilet tent that we use when tent camping. It is excellent except....If it is windy, it whips about ,twists and bends however sturdily you fix it to the ground and so is unusable due to its springiness (you cant get inside to use it) so while it is very nice when a calm day and we can shower and dress and use it as a loo tent, it cant be relied upon absolutely.
In the van (kangoo) we have a loo bucket with a tight fitting lid for night time and use biodegradable bags and wood based cat litter. That works very well and there is no problem with pongs plus the waste can be disposed of just like dog poo bags as no chemicals are used. To use it privately we have the back windows masked with our window screens and the front area can be curtained off with a towel hung up with magnets to make a little private room.
Havent tried showering yet but we have a 12volt battery shower that pumps from a bucket and will be fixing it up on the back (barn doors) .
have a look at this , it could be copied quite easily , to fit any van. it seems to have a bit of tube that fits across the top of the doors to keep them open and stop the roof sagging. Fiamma Ducato Rear Door Cover Awning | Leisure Outlet

LesleyKH

It has to be a toilet and shower room for me, I'm afraid. The toilet bit is essential. The shower room is used, but not necessarily the shower head, as a lot of the time we are conserving water and gas, so I tend to boil up a saucepan of water and can wash my long hair and myself with minimum amounts of water.

We did Poland down to Greece over the winter months, mostly wild camping, and I certainly wouldn't have fancied showering outside the van at all. We have a Devon Monte Carlo PVC, with a transverse bed, shower room, kitchen area and seating for 2 with table. It all fits fine, but that's 'cos neither of us is taller than 6ft. You couldn't be comfortable in our bed if you were tall.

Lesley

2cv

Forum Member
I wouldn't be without a shower, mainly wilding. By having a pivoting bathroom wash basin unit it actually takes up very little space. I think some AutoCruises also use this, so they are probably available.
View attachment 54950

Last edited:

thenomads

Bush Camping in Oz

On our extended (12 months) tour of Australia we drove a HJ75 Landcruiser bushcamper, which was extremely ristricted as far as space was concerned.
We spent most of our time in the Outback, dirt tracks, desert crossings etc, we only had 2 jerry cans with a maximum of 40 litres of water so was a very precious commodity.
We picked up many hints and tips from fellow travellers, bushmen etc, as and when we did meet others, sometime we went for days without seeing another soul. Amongst the ideas was a tip for showering; use a pump action sprayer, the ones you use in the garden for weedkilling, just worry the spray hole out with a nail to increase the size (not to much). A quick spray over, then lather up, then another quick spray over to wash lather off. 3 litres of water was more than enough for me and the chiefs of staff to feel human again.
Of cause it will depend on the temperature outside, I wouldn't Envisage attempting it in anythig less than 10 degrees.

campervanannie

Forum Member
Just putting together my self build LWB Transit and as you all know, space is precious. I really am torn between having a shower room or not. I have planned for it then ripped the plans up... then planned for it again!! Then bla bla bla ....If I have a shower/toilet room I can't have extra seating (two seats facing each other with table between).
We have a lpg portable shower which I could hang on the rear doors and rig a curtain up and we could put up a toilet tent (does anyone else use one of these....if so, what do you think)
If we are on sites then we will use the shower/toilets provided.
Do you use your shower room enough to justify it??

You use the words my and I suggesting that you travel alone so do without the shower cubicle go for the extra seat as who is going to be there to tell you that you smell. ?

kanga

have a look at this , it could be copied quite easily , to fit any van. it seems to have a bit of tube that fits across the top of the doors to keep them open and stop the roof sagging. Fiamma Ducato Rear Door Cover Awning | Leisure Outlet

That is very cool.
Our van has asymetric doors though so probly wouldnt fit but the idea is a goody.
There is a man on youtube who lives in his van who posted up his shower set up which is a tarp , a shower curtain pole to hold the doors apart,a bungee to tension them so they dont release the pole in a high wind and his shower bag.

molly 2

If you are going for a high spec fit a shower , could make a better resale , if budget conversation then don't and save money , perhaps retro fit if needed ,

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)