Tinted windows 70% or 80%

nomadichobbit

How much internal privacy do you get with 70% and lower tint ? What do you have ? With 80% tint I'd imagine you'd need blinds at night but daytime privacy is fine ?

Thanks
NH

helen262

On our las camper I had the rear windows tinted and went with 70% but wished I had gone with the 80%.
And yes still needed blinds for night time

wildebus

Forum Member
How much internal privacy do you get with 70% and lower tint ? What do you have ? With 80% tint I'd imagine you'd need blinds at night but daytime privacy is fine ?

Thanks
NH
70% - Very Little.

I have 90% - or possibly 95%? - "limo tint" on all my windows behind the cab line. With that level of tint when you are inside you can see out fine, but no one can see in unless there is a light on.
I went slightly less on the T5 conversion as the windows were already lightly tinted. On the T4 conversion I fitted windows which were pre-tinted to that level and added 90/95% tint to the rear - clear - windows.

I would get some samples from a tinting company and compare holding against a window. It is surprising how dark a tint you need to go to to get an effect. As an example, this is a photo from inside my T5 AFTER the windows were tinted...

tinted windows
by David, on Flickr
LEFT is window open, MIDDLE is tinted film over original tint to give 90/95% (I can't recall which) tint, and RIGHT is tinted window over tinted window - and outside still very visible.
(even after the tint, I still used to leave all the pull-up blinds up!).

This photo shows the same camper from the outside. you can see the difference between the cab window and windows behind ...

Ichabod External
by David, on Flickr
(the wind deflector on the cab window is very similar to the tinted windows as well)

nomadichobbit

Thanks, thats very helpful.

@wildebus it looks like your 90% / 95% tint still lets in quite a decent amount of light. I'm really surprised. Does it not feel too dark inside ?

I'm now thinking that even at 80% its still going to be a bit too light for internal privacy during the day, lights off.

All the van windows I've seen for sale come in 70 or 80% so I guess I'm looking at adding more tint.

Last edited by a moderator:

wildebus

Forum Member
Thanks, thats very helpful.

@wildebus it looks like your 90% / 95% tint still lets in quite a decent amount of light. I'm really surprised. Does it not feel too dark inside ?
Unlike most campers, I have full windows all around so I would guess that would make it much lighter anyway overall. If you had fewer windows maybe a lighter tint would actually be better?
I am happy with the level of tint I have as it certainly lets enough light in and people cannot see into the vehicle unless either lights are on inside OR they go right upto the glass.
If you were inside looking outside it would be like if you had sunglasses on all the time - that might not suit some people.

ScoTTyBEEE

Forum Member
Tint % is the other way around. What you want is called "nano ceramic". This is the most expensive tint, but the majority of the cost is labour anyway. It reflects the most amound of IR radiation so it keeps your van much cooler.

I have 15% tint all around on mine and it doesn't make it dark inside whatsoever. If someone was looking at the van you can see a bit of an outline of me in it, but I find people can pull up next to me and not see as they're not looking, even though I'm right next to them.

If I were to do it again I'd get 5% as people can't see in even if they're looking.

This is 15% at its worst, ie super bright outside the other window:

View attachment 66701

Inside looking out, absolutely fine.

View attachment 66699

Last edited:

wildebus

Forum Member
You would need to be careful what you are buying if buying "5% tint film" as the universal method used is quoted using the amount of light that is BLOCKED, and not the amount of light that gets passed through ;)

Millie Master

Forum Member
I honestly can't understand people fitting bonded glass. OK a van fitted with bonded glass does look better, but my number one priority is to have a van which is most user friendly which is why I went for Zeiss which of course have built in flyscreens as well as black out blinds.

But as with all things to do with building your van, everything is entirely your choice.

Phil

wildebus

Forum Member
I honestly can't understand people fitting bonded glass. OK a van fitted with bonded glass does look better, but my number one priority is to have a van which is most user friendly which is why I went for Zeiss which of course have built in flyscreens as well as black out blinds.

But as with all things to do with building your van, everything is entirely your choice.

Phil
Where does the "bonded window" comment fit with what level of tint question?

Millie Master

Forum Member
Where does the "bonded window" comment fit with what level of tint question?

Well Dave, in most instances that I have come across it is people fitting bonded windows who go on about the levels of tint.

No doubt some people do, but as yet I haven't seen people fitting sealed unit items such as the Seitz windows I fitted and who then tint them.

Phil

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)