There are some idiots out there in this self building world of ours!!

Millie Master

Forum Member
For my sins as well as to stop the grey matter boredom, I am on some model specific groups on Facebook and by heck as like, there are some right royal wallies out there!!

Only today I spotted someone who has carried out a very nice (not my taste) conversion however that as where the sense of the conversion had come to a grinding halt.

For heaven knows what reason the converter has fitted 2" wide wheel spacers to all wheels, wheels which are not suitably load rated and a set of tyres which also don't comply to O.E. specifications!
By his own admission the wheels/tyres now catch the suspension and bodywork on full lock or when the front suspension is compressed!

The DVSA and police would have a field day if they were to ever stop this vehicle at a roadside check and as for the insurance, very obviously it would be invalidated.

What is it with some people?

idiot.jpg

Squiffy

Forum Member
Years ago Phil young lads were fitting spacers to Minis and various other small race type cars, because the vehicle regs say that the tyres should not protrude beyond the bodywork I made a tidy profit on occasions fitting and spraying wheel fairings, half the time the tyres were rubbing against the inner wheel arch. This practice died out I can't remember when and never really has it been revived to my knowledge. I always remember that Hamlet cigar add where the guy has a Ford Anglia with wheel extensions so wide that when he drives through a field gate it takes the wheels off 😄 it was a satire of the time, do you remember it. Phil

Millie Master

Forum Member
Do you remember it. Phil

Oh Phil, how I remember those far off days which included one day, one of the biggest idiots on the planet pinching two of the 12" wheels/tyre off his Mothers Imp and putting them onto the front of his Cooper 1275 'S' and drove off to his local pub for the Sunday meet. With the wheels fitted any deflection in the suspension caused the tyres to rub on the body and next to no steering could be applied............ that idiot was none other than me!!

But in those days there weren't all the type approval regs., insurance limitations and of course the mega powerful court systems that are in place these days and of course, there was only the barest fraction of cars out on the roads added to which the road surfaces were generally in far better condition.

Nabsim

Forum Member
I had Chevy spacers on the rear of my VW IRS Trike wHickory allowed me to fit some big Jag wheels. I had no issue with bodywork or anything else though and it did go through a proper inspection to get a Q plate.

I was looking at options for the Moho when it looked like I may hove to go up to 16” rims to get tyres that would take the loading. A lot of these mods are okay if done properly although what you describe obviously wasn’t.

I suspect there are quite a few vans running on alloys that aren’t suitable for the leadings, I struggled to find any for mine

mistericeman

Forum Member
I had Chevy spacers on the rear of my VW IRS Trike wHickory allowed me to fit some big Jag wheels. I had no issue with bodywork or anything else though and it did go through a proper inspection to get a Q plate.

I was looking at options for the Moho when it looked like I may hove to go up to 16” rims to get tyres that would take the loading. A lot of these mods are okay if done properly although what you describe obviously wasn’t.

I suspect there are quite a few vans running on alloys that aren’t suitable for the leadings, I struggled to find any for mine

More than a few from what I've seen noticed over the years...

Some folks seem to apply the 'It fits.... It sits' mentality...

Irrespective of safety/load ratings or construction and use regs etc...

And the old 'well it passed an mot' isn't going to cut it with your insurance company when it goes titsy.

Squiffy

Forum Member

Honestly you can get some really good plastic Nave plates now with all the fiat centre badge and all and until you are actually stood next to them it's very difficult to tell that they aren't alloy wheels. These are mine Phil
15901652213996974244305704095837.jpg

P.s. They are not the knock on kind either the wheel nuts actually hold the plats on, so not only do they look authentic but can not be stolen or fall off on hard cornering, ok if you stand staring at them you can tell they are not real but the four or even five ally wheels are going to get the bank manager sweating

Last edited:

Nabsim

Forum Member
I was t specifically looking for alloys was just checking some of the deals and with the details of my van entered they were offering unsuitable wheels. In the end we found Conti still produced a tyre that did the job on 15’s

Kenno

Wheel spacers are old hat. This is what they get up to now! Huge negative camber.
They must get through some tyres and bearings!

Camber.jpg

mistericeman

Forum Member
Wheel spacers are old hat. This is what they get up to now! Huge negative camber.
They must get through some tyres and bearings!

View attachment 2524

IF and its a big IF that's not on airbags.... Then, I call photoshop..

IF It's on bags then it's all about the 'look' and that's fair enough.

Camber has been a Thang long before bags were in vogue.

wildebus

Forum Member
Looking at the chaps near the car, it is in Japan, where there is a mahoosive custom scene, so 100% not photoshopped and I bet 99% that has been very well done and at great expense.

(having said all that, not something I go for or like, but horses for courses ...)

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)