taxation classes for motorcaravan

Rodeo

So,Im thinking about getting an Iveco daily van,lwb .,40c14. Does anybody know.......
Once converted to a motorcaravan it will then be classed as class 4 mot?
There is another road tax class which apparently affects anything over 3500kg that is a motorcaravan.This is "private hgv"?
Seems a minefield to me! Was looking at vehicles this weekend,but may have to put off until I resolve all this.Any one shed any light on this,Id be most grateful.Thanks.

Wooie1958

Forum Member
Yes, once converted and the V5 has been changed to " Motorcaravan " it then becomes a Class 4 MOT.

Once it is registered as a motorcaravan and is over 3,500 kg gross it will then become " Private HGV " which is £165 per year.

Steve121

So,Im thinking about getting an Iveco daily van,lwb .,40c14. Does anybody know.......
Once converted to a motorcaravan it will then be classed as class 4 mot?
There is another road tax class which apparently affects anything over 3500kg that is a motorcaravan.This is "private hgv"?
Seems a minefield to me! Was looking at vehicles this weekend,but may have to put off until I resolve all this.Any one shed any light on this,Id be most grateful.Thanks.

It will be a Class 4 for MoT purposes as soon as it's been converted; no need to wait until after Body Type has been changed on V5C. In fact, a Class 4 MoT will help in getting your V5C changed.

vwalan

being a motorhome or not makes no differance . if over 3500kg gvw its either hgv tax or phgv , if caught carrying goods for sale etc you get punished . if just using it private thats ok.
in reality there is no connection between mot or tax both have their own system.
though you cant get one without the other sometimes .

Rodeo

So the phgv is realistic to apply for if over 3500 then?
Also.....throwing another point into the mix lol...In my search for a Iveco Daily,Ive been disregarding the gross weight,hence looking at a 4000 kg van in stead of a lower weight.Im wondering if the higher rated weights have different gearing that would alter fuel economy.Asked on Iveco forum,but no response.couple of owners ive met reckon 27 mpg is a realistic figure,both single and dual wheel axles.

vwalan

So the phgv is realistic to apply for if over 3500 then?
Also.....throwing another point into the mix lol...In my search for a Iveco Daily,Ive been disregarding the gross weight,hence looking at a 4000 kg van in stead of a lower weight.Im wondering if the higher rated weights have different gearing that would alter fuel economy.Asked on Iveco forum,but no response.couple of owners ive met reckon 27 mpg is a realistic figure,both single and dual wheel axles.

if you have the driving licence for over 3500kg gvw just go for the 6,500kg gvw ones the difference in fuel aint worth worrying over.
you can carry more so take more or bring things back of whats cheap , or carry more water so you arent driving going to get it . etc . plus you have payload for carrying a small m,bike for looking around local to where ever.
plus if you dont load it up its working light so will last longer .

Steve121

I was under the impression that the MOT station went off the database :confused:

A vehicle has to be tested 'as presented' which in the case of a conversion to 'Motor Caravan' will differ from the DVLA's database. It's a fairly simple matter for the tester to enter the vehicle details manually, then make a test print to confirm new body type.
I speak from experience, having watched the tester change the body type on my own conversion, although I had to give him some guidance on what to do!

Rodeo

That settles it then...I like £165 too!! ..back on track with van choices now! Thanks everyone for input,Ive learnt a lot,interesting stuff guys.

vwalan

mind wooie was born in lancashire .
i was born in yorkshire . much nicer place , and it is gods county.
white rose rules . hee hee

Rodeo

Update..
van arrived today,phoned dvla re changing taxation class from "NHSV" to private hgv (4 t van) .Cant do online,have to send pics of van,chassis plate etc,plus fill out form v10.Also taxing at same time,so told to send the £165 as well..Apparently not worth changing to PLG class,as conversion is imminent.Only downside is I cant drive it until they have sorted the tax class change over,but at least it will be sorted once and for all..Thanks for all comments and info on private hgv,as Ive learnt summat.
Rod

Jimhunterj4

mind wooie was born in lancashire .
i was born in yorkshire . much nicer place , and it is gods county.
white rose rules . hee hee

I thought Scotland was gods country, well, must be wrong:nothingtoadd::drive:

Billy boy

Ved tax

Yes, once converted and the V5 has been changed to " Motorcaravan " it then becomes a Class 4 MOT.

Once it is registered as a motorcaravan and is over 3,500 kg gross it will then become " Private HGV " which is £165 per year.

I thought ved was based on vehicle emissions not weight

MikeH

So to change my Hymer from PLG to PHGV I have to get it weighed to prove its over 3500kg (which it isnt but I`m sure I could make it) then what?

listerdiesel

So to change my Hymer from PLG to PHGV I have to get it weighed to prove its over 3500kg (which it isnt but I`m sure I could make it) then what?

I think you'll find that it needs to have a Gross Vehicle Weight exceeding 3500kg to get into the PHGV class of taxation.

Our Mercedes 614D is 5990kg or 6 tonnes gross, so comfortably inside the weight band. Unladen is just on 4 tonnes.

Peter

Rodeo

Yes,thats correct.The guy at dvla was quite helpful when I phoned,and he was the one who brought up the phgv class,before I got a chance to mention it ! Eagerly awaiting a proper run in the van when the tax is all sorted.Meanwhile so much work to do on stripping out the seats etc and building the interior,its taking my mind off the driving lol!

Last edited:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)