Tank sensor for Victron

MarkJ

Forum Member
I may be talking nonsense here, so forgive me...

I‘m probably going the Victron route for electrics and read that the monitoring stuff is able to do tank level reporting, but requires a specific sensor type - “European resistance” I think. I looked into this a while ago and they were horrendously expensive, but I came across

which is about the same price as the CBE unit lots of people use.

Would this work, does anyone know?

wildebus

Forum Member
I may be talking nonsense here, so forgive me...

I‘m probably going the Victron route for electrics and read that the monitoring stuff is able to do tank level reporting, but requires a specific sensor type - “European resistance” I think. I looked into this a while ago and they were horrendously expensive, but I came across

which is about the same price as the CBE unit lots of people use.

Would this work, does anyone know?
I found the level senders a daft price as well generally. That looks pretty reasonable. I would think 'Euro Resistance' would be right :)

The Victron setup is designed to be compatible with two different standards, and you chose which one you want in the setup. Below is a screenshot from the relevant part in the setup
1594236488057.png

And you set what type of fluid in another setting option.
1594236678317.png

You set the maximum tank volume and then depending if it Fresh Water or Waste Water, it will tell you how much fluid/space has been used or how much remains (in the example below, the tank is 25L so has 66% space available. If it was Fresh Water, it would mean that 66% of the Fresh Water remains)
1594237293875.png

MarkJ

Forum Member
Looking at it again, I've noticed it's only 150mm. 300mm isn't too bad, but it gets more pricey after that.

I suppose a snag is that not being length adjustable you might be unlucky and not be able to get one that properly fits the tank you have.

Barratt tanks, for example, for my vehicle are 175mm deep, so the 150mm one would read empty when the tank was still about 15% full. I suppose that might be good enough.

wildebus

Forum Member
Not the best video possibly but this will show you in principle how to make your own water level sensor
chose the right resistor values and you can 'drive' the input to a Victron Venus system.

I have been meaning for ages to make a a drop in version (as opposed to making holes in the side) as didn't want to pay the silly money that are generally asked for the "proper" ones.

wildebus

Forum Member
Some interesting ones there.
One thing I would have slight concerns on ... the materials used contaminating a fresh water container (you can't always rely on the descriptions on some of these cheap direct-from-china products).
I might get one for my waste tank though :)

SquirrellCook

Forum Member
That was the good thing about where I used to live in Wiltshire. It didn’t take long for any thing in the water to be coated in chalk.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)