split charge relay

Rodeo

Thanks for that.Ive got the relay ,just need to know about the fuse siting.

Rodeo

Are the fuse sitings critical? Im sure I read somewhere that they need to be near the batteries?

GRWXJR

A fuse is only really to protect whats 'downstream' of it. So fusing straight after the battery protects the cable to the appliance, and fusing again just before the appliance at the other end of the cable can protect the appliance itself from say a damaged cable fusing and can also protect the wiring if an appliance were to short-circuit and try to melt the wiring.

I believe in an ideal world you'd fuse at both ends as stated. But basically yes - the more of the output cable you have protected, the better.

fifthwheel

there's [at least] 2 ways to do a split charge
one is to just use a smartcom 40amp relay on its own ,using 4-6 mm wire to connect the leisure battery to the van battery

another,more effective way is to use the smartcom relay to operate a much more powerful 100amp relay,making it possible to connect the batteries with a 10mm wire,allowing more charge,quicker

The second option here by NB is the best way to go. My opinion for what its worth.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)