Solar project anyone?

Nabsim

Forum Member
As far as I am aware nobody seems to have done this yet on a van. These slide outs are really getting some lateral (no pun intended) thinking going, love some of the things people are doing with them. Is this Dave’s next project? 😂👍

89C30504-89CF-4530-984D-0D86DDBB5206.jpegC596A0ED-AF0D-434B-9690-96E4DDEAC593.jpeg

wildebus

Forum Member
As far as I am aware nobody seems to have done this yet on a van. These slide outs are really getting some lateral (no pun intended) thinking going, love some of the things people are doing with them. Is this Dave’s next project? 😂👍

View attachment 2850View attachment 2851
I was actually going to do this (and have even got a 12V Actuator bought for the purpose) but decided not bother. But I reckon it is a great way to add more panels.

I have seen (on YouTube) this done by a few American RVers.
This chap - Rambling Camperman - was the first time I saw it and thought what a good idea. There are a few more hi-tech setup videos around as well
This guy has some interesting videos. Seems a nice chap and shame he seems to have stopped posting stuff :(

SquirrellCook

Forum Member
We have made Murky polarised with our panel changes. Even 600W on inclement days is not good.
It seems we need to park north south or vice versa for best results.
The panels are wire in series rows along the roof each side. Curved roof with furniture down the middle.
At the M62 camp we were pointing west east.
Just an edit to avoid confusion, each row of series panels are paralleled to each side. So hopefully the side in shadow isn't dragging the sunny side down.

Last edited:

wildebus

Forum Member
I did some swapping around when I had 4 x 100W panels and I honestly found no noticable difference between going all series or all parallel or doing a mix. I think if I had even potential shadow-casters on the roof I would go parallel cabling where my controller permitted it.

If I understand you right, the left and right side panels are in series together? If so, I would definately have those independant - either different controllers or in parallel, not in series. I think series connection will hurt the harvesting in that layout.

Nabsim

Forum Member
200w and 200ah battery bank should be plenty for most vans unless you are planing a mars orbit. :unsure:
In summer/strong continuous sunshine maybe Trev but definitely not all year round in the U.K. I can leave it today but will need to run the genny tomorrow and that’s 300W solar with 200ah Lifepo4

SquirrellCook

Forum Member
I did some swapping around when I had 4 x 100W panels and I honestly found no noticable difference between going all series or all parallel or doing a mix. I think if I had even potential shadow-casters on the roof I would go parallel cabling where my controller permitted it.

If I understand you right, the left and right side panels are in series together? If so, I would definately have those independant - either different controllers or in parallel, not in series. I think series connection will hurt the harvesting in that layout.
That was my conclusion, either two controllers or wire them all parallel. Parallel is a lot of rewiring and piggy back connectors. At the times series would be an advantage, chances it wouldn't be pointing the right way.
So the best way would be to have two controllers. Still an extra hole in the roof and running another set of cables. Or have the controllers under the roof and connect the cables together at the controllers end and bypass where the existing controller was. Still a lot of work.
Simple answer, just put another pair of panels on the roof to make up for the losses.
The Betty build has panels running down each side in series, but each with independent controllers. If I can shoehorn in some smaller panels in the space left they will also have their own controller.

wildebus

Forum Member
Just a thought on roof furniture and panels....
I had 4 x 100W on the roof and tried to position them so they would not be too affected by shadow. The only problem would be with very low sun from the front or just possibly from rear (and when the sun would be that low, solar would be virtually useless anyway).

When I added another pair of 30W panels to do some "in-filling", I did give myself a potential problem

Clarence - 460W PV
by David, on Flickr
The two 30W panels could potentially be shadowed from the left when the fan vent is up in low sun and from the rear, especially if the roof basket is used.
Due to the mix of panels, I have 2 x 100W and 1 x 30W in parallel, and then in series with the remaining 2 x 100W & 1 x 30W wired in parallel. Can't do them all in parallel as the cable I used is a little thin for be optimum for that much current :( If I had 6mm2 solar cable installed, I think I would go all parallel.
If I were to rewire for thicker cable, I think I would also leave the existing cable in place for an extra little controller as well to use with the small panels

Generally there is no shadow hitting the panels, but in my own case I would probably want to park facing East-South-East for maximum harvesting throughout the day.

wildebus

Forum Member
That was my conclusion, either two controllers or wire them all parallel. Parallel is a lot of rewiring and piggy back connectors. At the times series would be an advantage, chances it wouldn't be pointing the right way.
You can get the multiple MC4 Paralleling connectors (that is what I used in fact) but what you can also use very effectively is those little WAGO terminals to join panels together with no soldering or screwing down.
You could use these 5-way ones (https://amzn.to/3ht8M6i) to join up 4 panels and then the 5th connection to the controller (or another WAGO to have even more panels!).

After some testing, I came to a similar kind of conclusion ... Series does have an advantage in some circumstances, but the actual harvesting improvement over parallel in those circumstances is pretty irrelevant (twice x bugger all solar is still bugger all!)

Nabsim

Forum Member
I never really saw the point in serial on a van as far as harvesting was concerned. Of course there are savings in cable and controller potentially with serial. I just wanted best chance of power in the U.K.

SquirrellCook

Forum Member
I never really saw the point in serial on a van as far as harvesting was concerned. Of course there are savings in cable and controller potentially with serial. I just wanted best chance of power in the U.K.
Until I started using the Victron controllers I never had much choice. On those wet overcast days an Amp is more welcome than no Amps. Having a higher panel voltage sure does help then. Though is series you'll never get more current than your worst panel. And if one goes open circuit you loose the string.

Nabsim

Forum Member
It was the shading effect that swung it for me, rarely on sites or open fields and never know if I am going to be in partial shading.

trevskoda

Forum Member
So the best way would be to have two controllers. Still an extra hole in the roof and running another set of cables. Or have the controllers under the roof and connect the cables together at the controllers end and bypass where the existing controller was. Still a lot of work.
Simple answer, just put another pair of panels on the roof to make up for the losses.
The Betty build has panels running down each side in series, but each with independent controllers. If I can shoehorn in some smaller panels in the space left they will also have their own controller.
You only require 3 wires coming in,2 pos and 1 neg from both .

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)