Solar panel on roof box...

Stitch

Just back from a weekend away. I was parked up next to a van that had the sola pannel fitted onto the roof box. Has anyone done this.. it would give me more room on the roof rack for the canoe..?

The laird

Forum Member
Never seen one mounted on a box,mines like most others a direct onto the roof.ive noticed quite a lot of new caravans with solars on the roof as well now

Deleted member 2572

Yes I think Steve on here has his mounted on the roof box , no reason why not really and as you say will free up roof space ?

John Thompson

Oyster SamySolar is an 80w panel on the back of the satellite dish. It is designed to come up at sun rise and steer the panel at the sun all day. This is quoted as giving 5 times more output than a flat panel of the same size.

I looked at it when we had our dish fitted but was told "Solar was no good it you were in the UK" so was persuaded to fit a Gasparini generator instead.

The down side to the SamySolar system is, you cannot use the panel while using the dish to watch TV or if modified to use it for satellite communications.

Fitting to a box may be OK, but the lid will only open one way, so to get any effect you will have to be keep moving the vehicle so that the panel is facing the sun.

Darcar

Forum Member
I not sure that a typical roof box lid would take the weight of a solar panel? Over the long term,
Most of the roof boxes I've seen are pretty flimsy,
Wouldn't be my first choice!
Darren

malodian

Solar panels

ONE, BOXES ARE VERY WEAK AND THE FLEXING WOULD DAMAGE THE PANEL, (IF NOT OF THE FLEXIBLE TYPE) TWO, SOLAR PANELS NEED COOLING SO BY THAT TOKEN PRODUCE HEAT, HEAT - FIRE, WOULD NOT BE MY CHOSE. I HAVE TWO 150w PANLES ON MY ROOF BUT BEING A BIT OF A BELT AND BRACES MAN I MOUNTED THEM ON WOODEN PALETS RATHER THAN A FLIMSY FIBERGLASS ROOF. WHEN I FIRST TRIED OUT SOLAR PANELS I SCREWED THEM TO THE REAR DOOR AND WHEN LIFTED INTO POSSITION WERE HORIZONTAL, YOU COULD TRY SOMTHING LIKE THAT, HINGED OVER THE SIDE OR BACK, LIFTING INTO POSSITION WITH A GAS STRUT (FROM AN OLD CAR BACK DOOR) THAT WOULD FREE UP SPACE.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)