Simplest Solution for off-grid (starter) trickle charging

wildebus

Forum Member
I couldn't help but see the reply when I open the app, so I will say this. In all my years of having a commercial MoT testing and repair garage on many occasions more than I remember people have asked me to come out to start their vehicle because the battery has gone flat, when I have arrived in more cases than not the starter battery has gone West ( Internal fault ) the customer invariably says but it was fine yesterday, some ask for it to be charged and refitted only to call one of my blokes out again 1 or 2 days later because the battery has gone flat. So the moral of the story is that duty batteries have a bad habit of failing without warning, a liesure battery in parallel with the starter battery in an instance like this will immediately become the duty battery and the full current will be draw down along what ever cable connects them, all be it that its only there originally to keep the alarm or any other small draw from leaving a supposed good condition starter battery. You ( Dave) only mentioned the fuse blow after my intervention. To say run a LEAD to the starter battery is to my mind at least surmise that the OP is well aware of the dangers of light wiring in a potential 200amp situation. Your advice is correct in principle but potentially dangerous in practicality. So it seems that you do not understand your own answer. Phil

You are talking total crap.
As an example, look at your post and the bit bottom right .... see the "last edited" bit?
1674654972453.png

Now here is a screenshot of my ORIGINAL post, showing that I said for the need for fuse protection and you will notice there is no "last edited" bit as I have not changed that post in any way after I posted, either before OR after your "intervention"
1674655120884.png

I see that you have updated your post well done.
You will see from the screenshots above I have not updated anything since your "intervention" - as there was no need to update anything.

On a later post I put a step-by-step process of how to wire this and I don't give a monkeys about your years of MOT testing. that has zero relevance to anything discussed here.

Stick to your statement and ....
1674655204874.png

Squiffy

Forum Member
Never mind Dave you have it correct now so there is no problem for Suncat he probably knew that the liesure battery needed discounting before starting anyway but it's best to be certain isn't it. Phil

wildebus

Forum Member
Never mind Dave you have it correct now so there is no problem for Suncat he probably knew that the liesure battery needed discounting before starting anyway but it's best to be certain isn't it. Phil
I had it fine the first time, thanks :) just because you are unable to read AND understand is not my problem ;)

PS. How much would you discount the battery by before starting? 10%? 15%? Oh dear, can't read OR spell :)

trevskoda

Forum Member
I have a switch on the dash to connect all batts up using a 200ah relay, my solar control unit is a votronic split charger, 1 ah to starter from 200w solar panels.

Sprinter 1 cup

Forum Member
How much !

A Solar trickle charger (Photonic Universe 20w perhaps?) – my battery is a 95Ah so I fear a 10W set up might not be powerful enough in the winter months? I’ve had a (good) quote to fully fit a roof mounted 60W system, but its £600 I don’t have yet sadly.

600 watt system them controller's ant cheap for 12v

They must be the walk on ones !

You said cheap and temporary ? If your building it up. I would buy items for finnest van future proof it or it wont be cheap.
Or for £100 or less SP 100w 70 x 100 cm £70 new ebay £10 controller fuse holder wire
Just put pannel in windscreen SP power min 80w and get solar controller. Not £600

But new van battery under £100.

Im only getting 150 watts per day from flat roof mounted SP 280w over 3 pannles 2, 100w and 1, 80 w
ho ! but thats fully charged

Suncat

Forum Member
Thanks for all of the advice – after a really helpful call to Ablemail (following up the suggestion of their AMT12-2) the solution I’ve gone with is actually the Photonic Universe 20w kit. I’m connecting it via ring connectors to the spare battery studs as (thanks to Photonic for their advice too) as it can be left connected. Panel is on the roof when parked up.

To quote the Ablemail experts, ‘its feeble but all you need is feeble’! I’ve been measuring the battery levels in the meantime and the drain is really tiny, so I don’t have an issue leaving it weekly, but this solution will help if I ever forget and leave it longer, or (I wish) go on holiday 😊

As its been rightly noted, the battery isn’t a big cost to replace, but finding out that your van won’t start when you’ve spent days planning and then hours preparing to leave (travelling horses is like taking a toddler anywhere significant) is horrible! So peace of mind and a nice little project at least.

Sprinter 1 cup

Forum Member
Why not a jumper pack ?
Solar panel is this the £600.00 thingy ?
20watts brief case/ clipboard.. type. will it make 1 amp ?

Will it have a usb get a bigger one and you could run dash cam 24 / 7

I'd go for the largest 12v that don't need solar controler , for the winter months. !.

trevskoda

Forum Member
Why not a jumper pack ?
Solar panel is this the £600.00 thingy ?
20watts brief case/ clipboard.. type. will it make 1 amp ?

Will it have a usb get a bigger one and you could run dash cam 24 / 7

I'd go for the largest 12v that don't need solar controler , for the winter months. !.
No solar panels are £1 a watt, so a 100w panel will be max £100, a good mppt votronic regulator will be about £125 ish, and two panels of about 100 to 125w each will charge 2 batteries of any type.

Sprinter 1 cup

Forum Member
No solar panels are £1 a watt, so a 100w panel will be max £100, a good mppt votronic regulator will be about £125 ish, and two panels of about 100 to 125w each will charge 2 batteries of any type.
67 QUID ON EBAY I got 2 100watt = .70 p a watt. Evan less

Im in somerset and will be selling A Ring 30amp MTTPalso still in box not used as got victron 100/30 amp and all 3 solar panels 2 x 100w plus 80w with 8 4 used and 4 brand new corners in white. At the right price ill fit them on

The ones x2, im watching now are 260 watt at £170 size 100cm x 135 cm but would have to change solar controller.
So cheap now.

trevskoda

Forum Member
67 QUID ON EBAY I got 2 100watt = .70 p a watt. Evan less

Im in somerset and will be selling A Ring 30amp MTTPalso still in box not used as got victron 100/30 amp and all 3 solar panels 2 x 100w plus 80w with 8 4 used and 4 brand new corners in white. At the right price ill fit them on

The ones x2, im watching now are 260 watt at £170 size 100cm x 135 cm but would have to change solar controller.
So cheap now.
Many dont also charge the starter battery, the votronic models do.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)