Schools Out!!!

mpwade12

Forum Member
So, the 'Bird has arrived on site and parked up. My first job has been to strip out all the seats. Most, if not all had a stripped nut or two and so it was time to deploy the Angle Grinder to perform some surgery. 10 cutting disks later and 90% of the seats are out. I think the quality of my disks was a bit pants but also, some of the cutting, due to the angle, went into the weld and that stuff is HARD on disks.... But, 4 hours in, nearly all of the seats are out as well as the handrails, the 'Covid' screen, drivers surround and various poles and stuff.

Next thing to get my head around is the coolant based interior heat exchangers and capping off the supply of coolant to the rearmost heat exchangers. This will involve removal of about 40ft of coolant hose. as well as running a single coolant hose, in a protective shroud (stonechips) to the front of the bus to maintain drivers heat and de-mist capability. For now, I am just going to remove them as they are HUUUUGE and will only work when the engine is running, which on a 5.9 cummins has got to be the single most expensive way of generating heat while the bus is stationary....

So, question 1 is for alternate heat options while on the move. I know the reply will be 'leave what is there, there' but that is not an option, the heater units in the vehicle are seriously large and the ducting for the coolant pipes is also not insignificant. That said, I may entertain the possibility of relocating the plumbing to beneath the vehicle, with an adequate amount of protection from the elements and retain them if there is no other solution. I am thinking of a 5kw Diesel Heater, tapped into the fuel tank with ducting going fore and aft to heat passengers at the front of the bus and the rear of the bus. I know 5kw sound a lot but remember, this is a 37ft bus with a LOT of windows....

All thoughts welcomed.

Attachments

• 74EA18BC-7827-4FD4-9CF7-AEE27B615A5B.jpeg
    74EA18BC-7827-4FD4-9CF7-AEE27B615A5B.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 234
  • 90E79EB8-8236-41FA-8111-1F9F7E5ECF5C.jpeg
    90E79EB8-8236-41FA-8111-1F9F7E5ECF5C.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 205

SquirrellCook

Forum Member
It's all been done before, I have a 12kw that I can preheat the engine with for polite get away's. Turn a tap and I can isolate the engine and just heat the internal water heaters and calorifier. The engine also heats the calorifier and water heaters when running.
Stationary I use the same air ducting that the water heaters used, blowing hot air is cheaper than heating water. I think you'll want a bigger than 4kw to heat that space.

The pictures below are not all based the subject, but if you look they include it.

Last edited:

mpwade12

Forum Member
It's all been done before, I have a 12kw that I can preheat the engine with for polite get away's. Turn a tap and I can isolate the engine and just heat the internal water heaters and calorifier. The engine also heats the calorifier and water heaters when running.
Stationary I use the same air ducting that the water heaters used, blowing hot air is cheaper than heating water. I think you'll want a bigger than 4kw to heat that space.

The pictures below are not all based the subject, but if you look they include it.

That looks really interesting and I think I may go for something similar. Thanks for sharing. Do you have a 'kit list' or something similar?

For the 'full' heating solution I will be looking at;

Travelling;
  • The base system for driver and de-misting
  • 5KW Diesel Heater for the passenger (single) at the back of the bus and single passenger at the front of the bus
Stationary;
  • 2 x 5KW Diesel heaters, split left and right (Only the left running when travelling)
  • Woodburning Stove
Water;
  • Truma or similar propane system.

Last edited:

SquirrellCook

Forum Member
Just thinking about the water circuit, I'd be tempted to run two 22mm copper pipes from back to front. Don't fill it with antifreeze just yet as it messes with soldering copper pipes. This will keep your demister and cab heating working, but still easy to add too.

If you have a spare day, read through "Violating a Princess"

mpwade12

Forum Member
Just thinking about the water circuit, I'd be tempted to run two 22mm copper pipes from back to front. Don't fill it with antifreeze just yet as it messes with soldering copper pipes. This will keep your demister and cab heating working, but still easy to add too.

If you have a spare day, read through "Violating a Princess"
Been wending my way through your thread as we speak - Great work. I have serious 'Ally Weld Envy' going on. That is some stunning work...

SquirrellCook

Forum Member
Personally if you try to do it on the cheap, you'll live to regret it. My first conversion used many 70's caravan stuff, so many problems though it seemed wonderful to start with. Any open flame type heating and you'll need to worry about carbon monoxide. So plenty of ventilation. (cold bus).

What I do, and I've been told it's an engineering thing. Is worry about how each thing will fail or give trouble. Once you've identified these things and had a rethink. Hopefully you'll be happy with your choices.

Again with the wood burning stove, unless your a new age hippy V2 or V3 what ever we are on now, you'll find that has some bad side effects.

It's you bus, so your choice. Please don't be offended if some comments touch a nerve, we are just trying to help. I've had a couple of verbal slaps that's helped me.

wildebus

Forum Member
Personally if you try to do it on the cheap, you'll live to regret it. My first conversion used many 70's caravan stuff, so many problems though it seemed wonderful to start with. Any open flame type heating and you'll need to worry about carbon monoxide. So plenty of ventilation. (cold bus).

What I do, and I've been told it's an engineering thing. Is worry about how each thing will fail or give trouble. Once you've identified these things and had a rethink. Hopefully you'll be happy with your choices.

Again with the wood burning stove, unless your a new age hippy V2 or V3 what ever we are on now, you'll find that has some bad side effects.

It's you bus, so your choice. Please don't be offended if some comments touch a nerve, we are just trying to help. I've had a couple of verbal slaps that's helped me.

I was speaking to a chap either yesterday or the day before who wants to convert his VW T4 into a camper. I had to make sure that whenever I spoke about how to deal with this failing or that breaking, he realised I was not selling crap stuff, but just implementing proper future serviceability!

mpwade12

Forum Member

Yea, I get that/ I am not that bothered about the cost, within reason Obvs... I have enough space for a couple of 5KW Diesel Heaters in the engine compartment as it is pretty huge. Alternatively, a Diesel unit at the front, under the bus and one at the rear. Seems that the combination of diesel heater and Woodburner is a staple of the Skoolie community in the States. The Woodburner is both a fashion statement and practical, if all else fails, wood seldom does... And not offended in the slightest, this is exactly what I came here for (y)(y)(y)

wildebus

Forum Member
I've seen (on the screen) some lovely setups with wood-burners, and it is a very romantic kind of idea :)

But ... even when 100% perfectly installed, they still make the interior smell (IMO) and the amount of fuel you get through you'd need those under-bus lockers for all the wood.

wildebus

Forum Member

mpwade12

Forum Member
FWIW, I carry a wood-burning stove in my van, it just isn't fitted inside :)
I have a 'Frontier Stove' ( https://anevaystoves.com/products/the-frontier-stove)

With my 'Overland' Camperbus
IMG_20180825_181926 by David, on Flickr

And its first outing I think?
View attachment 3749

Tempted to get the Water Boiler that sits on the top and attaches to the chimney but it's just a very pricey kettle really. I do use it for cooking al fresco.
IMG_20180825_182040 by David, on Flickr
That setup looks amazing 👍👍👍

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)